• Other (Comment in thread)

Votes: 24 9.7%

• Total voters

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both and always had algae issues if I used it frequently. I started using BeneReef a couple months ago and love it so far. I can feed two or three times a week without increasing phosphate or nitrate. I will say Reef Roids seemed to get a better feeding response than Reef Chili or BeneReef.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else have the issue of reef roids collecting on top of the frag rack and creating an ugly brown film? It
Can be blown away but still ugly...:

I usually turn off all pumps when I feed and leave them off for 15 mins. After that, yes I see a film but it only lasts about 5 mins.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have bottles of Roids for a reason. The chili does not seem to dilute well especially for suspended feeding whereas the Ref Roids do. The roids are heavy plankton based and dissolves quickly and is clean in appearance.
Been using roids now for about 4 years

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Nutrition, and have for...well, probably since it came out.

I like them b/c the food is very high quality, concentrated, and specific so that certain things can be fed at certain times.
Agreed, reef nutrition is by far some of the best fish/reef food available today.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, reef nutrition is by far some of the best fish/reef food available today.
Yep. And it stays in suspension forever if flow is good.

That’s a good deal when you have SPS that have PE once the lights go down. Shoot some RotiFeast or OysterFeast in and it stays available for a long time.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a lot of different foods when I make food for the coral. I get an ice cube tray out with a bunch of little dishes. I use calanus, reef chili, lrs fenzy small pellets, cobalt coral food, Mysis, brine, some aminos, some lrs reef frenzy, and some emerald entrée. thaw it out and and
mix it all together
thenpour into the ice cube trays. The cubes are small so it doesn't over feed the tank and cause algae. They get a little of everything.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those of you that target or broadcast feed your corals, which do you prefer? I've very recently gotten into feeding, and started with Bulk Reef Supplys Reef Chilli, but am wondering about maybe switching to Reef Roids. Please share your opinions :)
I mix RR with phytofeast and some raw egg.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roids all day!! Here is a picture of my torch...lights just came on so it’s not super swole yet. Works almost too well
0DB8D6FC-2C0D-4AEA-B14C-F962155BDB89-39000-0000099085EEAB39.jpg

Txag96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been mixing a few cubes of frozen mysis, a few spoons of reef chili, a little bit of Fuel, a little bit of Coral Smoothie, and a little bit of Polyp Booster and making a thick paste. The acans and favias LOVE it and explode open. The zoas all close up on it but they are growing like crazy. My blastos and hammers puff up after a brief initial closing. Even my chalice looks like it enjoys it. The only problem is my cleaner and fire shrimp will come clean it up off the corals pretty quick so I have to give them something else first.
Turn the flow off for a few minutes, give them a few minutes to enjoy, then turn everything back on except the skimmer. Wait 10 minutes or so and then turn it back on too.
The Reef Chili doesn't seem to dissolve as well as what the roids do in that video. I might switch for that reason alone.

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since seeing that vid I've been doing this spot feeding and the duncan is really liking it, but anyone have a technique to NOT have the stupid shrimp come right over and snatch all the food out of there??? I try to feed the shrimp but I'm not even sure what to feed them, Ive tried nori dipped in garlic and that only occupies them until i come in w the syringe. I have to sit there and play defense for like a 1/2 hr fending off the shrimp from the duncan and the acan.

Thanks

Greenreef75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mixing benepets and chili then spot feeding LPS with good response.

Txag96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will thaw out some small pieces of Krill, leave the shell on so they have to work harder for it and toss them that. I have also tossed in a clam and waited for it to open and then everything in the tank is interested in that instead of the coral food. But I can't feed a clam 2-3 times a week :)
So since seeing that vid I've been doing this spot feeding and the duncan is really liking it, but anyone have a technique to NOT have the stupid shrimp come right over and snatch all the food out of there??? I try to feed the shrimp but I'm not even sure what to feed them, Ive tried nori dipped in garlic and that only occupies them until i come in w the syringe. I have to sit there and play defense for like a 1/2 hr fending off the shrimp from the duncan and the acan.

Thanks

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will thaw out some small pieces of Krill, leave the shell on so they have to work harder for it and toss them that. I have also tossed in a clam and waited for it to open and then everything in the tank is interested in that instead of the coral food. But I can't feed a clam 2-3 times a week :)
Sweet thanks for the tip I'll give that a try

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back