OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have unchecked notifications (again) :( ) I'll break out the camera this upcoming week. I never took a picture when it was pretty barren. One acro that never was effected was the blue tort in the upper right (not sure if I mentioned that before). For the most part everything has stabilized and whatever happened is behind me.
A little frustrating not knowing what the cause was, it makes it rather tough to avoid whatever it was when it's a mystery.

Crazy hobby huh :)

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no tank update, ivs been working on updating my acro album. Im in need of fish and some larger ones, was eying an nice blue face, another queen and maybe a majestic, the tank is so empty [emoji22]

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a rushed photo :oops:

I'm not liking how the color/corals ended up after having to remove and nearly frag up all but the blue tort in the upper right. I'm pretty sure I'm going to redo the majority of the acro placements-just don't like what I see compared to the old beauty- Maybe it'll never be close :confused:
IMG_1086.jpg

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a positive note I did reaquire a nice Red Sea Regal and a Lennardi wrasse- I just need to remember how to set the camera for faster moving subjects-Such a noob LOL

rideit6578

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you say you're not entirely happy with the way the tank looks, but it looks amazing. We all want to be such perfectionists with our tanks. I'm the same way with mine. People tell me they love it in person and all I can think is, "well I need to fix this part and change that part and..."

Your tank is saved in inspiration tab for my current upgrade! Keep up the good work.

And just get a cannon with the action sport preset for the fish that's what I do lol

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update! Love yer tank no matter how you try to mess it up! [emoji39]

Well, I'm trying pretty hard-LOL

Well I decided to pull the trigger and redo the tank- what else to do with my free time :confused:

Ive pulled all the acros and added some rocks so I can have a few more places to put pieces and over the next few weeks I'll selectively start replacing pieces and add new ones. In the past I always left my really nice pieces in my frag tanks but think this time I may add some beauties to the display.

Newest additions;
Blue face angel- eats nearly all my LPS (as expected) I had to remove my wellsi, scolys, donught coral but there never really likes my tank anyway since the water is to clean
Also added a gold flake angel.

here is my semi blank slate ( with my purple Linkia photo bombing);

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You had such large colonies, some of the biggest I have seen in a tank. It's weird to see your tank so empty. I hope you post more frequent updates as things grow out because I would love to follow along.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you saw but something happened earlier this year, maybe bacterial, water, metals “something” but some of those colonies were reduced to frags. The del feugo which was nearly w square feet across is now 2 frags.
The tissue just started to peel away and I was forced to remove and chop- most pieces remained large like the microcladas which only got reduced by half. I did lose a few pieces I have to start over with.
RIP
ORA Pearlberry
Mattv Orange Envy
Mattv Rainbow Envy
Home wrecker
Purple monster
BC Gilligan
BC Rainbow in Spain

There is a lot more but my collection is a little large so it’s just a dent and besides, half the joy is growing them out.

Thanks for following :) I’ll work on the updates.

Unrelated, I need to swap out sump and add a chiller to the set up so I’m a little busy LOL

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you believed it was due to detritus settling in the colony? Sorry if I'm wrong. Did you find out what caused it?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
oh wow thats a bummer. I thought before you said after you fragged them they did fine and recovered, seems like that wasnt the case?

Or is what you are considering frags more like colonies to people who havent had the colony size you have had haha.

Anyways I hope everything is going good. What about the frag tanks, how are they doing?

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you believed it was due to detritus settling in the colony? Sorry if I'm wrong. Did you find out what caused it?

I believe the detritus had something to do with as did food that collected in the branches. I don’t think that was the issue with all the pieces but it played a role in the problem. I never did figure what happened, mine wasn’t the only local tank that had acros do this but we had a hard time pin pointing what was common that could have been the reason

oh wow thats a bummer. I thought before you said after you fragged them they did fine and recovered, seems like that wasnt the case?

Or is what you are considering frags more like colonies to people who havent had the colony size you have had haha.

Anyways I hope everything is going good. What about the frag tanks, how are they doing?

That post I made wasnt that accurate, some of those pieces noted as dead weren’t related to whatever happened earlier this year but rather part of the “random loses” I’ve had happen through the year.

You are correct most pieces did do fine once fragged, the exception was the del fuego, if I fragged it and got it into another system those pieces did fine for the most part. Some of the pieces I held onto continued down hill except 2 ping ball sized pieces I still have.

The TDF I reaquired that came directly from Wet Thumb is about the size of a baseball now and it does seem different than the TDF I bought from Sexy Corals so I’m not sure what to take away from that :(

Frag tanks are doing well although way over crowded, I for sure need to do some trimming/pruning LOL

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe the detritus had something to do with as did food that collected in the branches. I don’t think that was the issue with all the pieces but it played a role in the problem. I never did figure what happened, mine wasn’t the only local tank that had acros do this but we had a hard time pin pointing what was common that could have been the reason

That post I made wasnt that accurate, some of those pieces noted as dead weren’t related to whatever happened earlier this year but rather part of the “random loses” I’ve had happen through the year.

You are correct most pieces did do fine once fragged, the exception was the del fuego, if I fragged it and got it into another system those pieces did fine for the most part. Some of the pieces I held onto continued down hill except 2 ping ball sized pieces I still have.

The TDF I reaquired that came directly from Wet Thumb is about the size of a baseball now and it does seem different than the TDF I bought from Sexy Corals so I’m not sure what to take away from that :(

Frag tanks are doing well although way over crowded, I for sure need to do some trimming/pruning LOL

Glad to hear some positive news! You should post some pictures of the frag tanks when you have time.

What lighting are you using on the frag tank and how far from the top of the water? What params are you aiming for?

Also, what calcium reactor media do you use? Sorry for all the questions haha

Last edited:

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading all 19 pages. What an amazing thread. I was very impressed with every version of your tank. I look forward to seeing it grow.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm trying pretty hard-LOL

Well I decided to pull the trigger and redo the tank- what else to do with my free time :confused:

Ive pulled all the acros and added some rocks so I can have a few more places to put pieces and over the next few weeks I'll selectively start replacing pieces and add new ones. In the past I always left my really nice pieces in my frag tanks but think this time I may add some beauties to the display.

Newest additions;
Blue face angel- eats nearly all my LPS (as expected) I had to remove my wellsi, scolys, donught coral but there never really likes my tank anyway since the water is to clean
Also added a gold flake angel.

here is my semi blank slate ( with my purple Linkia photo bombing);

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

Love the star! Lost mine due to Irma

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear some positive news! You should post some pictures of the frag tanks when you have time.

What lighting are you using on the frag tank and how far from the top of the water? What params are you aiming for?

Also, what calcium reactor media do you use? Sorry for all the questions haha

I’ll post some current pics of the frag tanks and QT system probably Xmas eve or Xmas, I’ve got those days off LOL.

Lighting over the display is 9 Hydra HD52s.
2 Frag tanks have 8 bulb ATI, 1 frag tank 8 bulb ATI with reefbrite XHO, 1 frag tank and 1 QT tank has 6 bulb ATI with reefbrite XHO. I’ve also converted a 2x4 section of my sump to hold acros which has 3 more OR T247. Lights are anywhere from 6” to 24” from the tanks, my goal is par ranging on average of 300-350 with one tank closer to 500-550.

For the MRC dual chamber 818 CaRx I use reborn

Just finished reading all 19 pages. What an amazing thread. I was very impressed with every version of your tank. I look forward to seeing it grow.

Thank you kindly. I’m afraid the growing part will be somewhat quick since most of what’s going back in are already colonies, granted there will a few frags and everything that’s already a colony I grew from a frag ;)

Love the star! Lost mine due to Irma

I’ve a blue one also but it’s only 8-10” tip to tip, the purple has to be closer to 20” on its longest legs. I’ve wanted one for awhile but had poor luck with the formosa so I wasnt sure, so far so good-3months into it anyway.

I’ve added one colony to the display, it was the large Blue tort that was upper right. I’ll post a pic Saturday or Sunday. The piece is s large it required a full 4oz tube of epoxy to get it to stay

More to follow.....

:)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back