Returning after over 20 years, can't believe it's been that long!

Totallytollied

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Paul and I’m returning to the hobby after a break of over twenty years. I used to keep a 60 gallon reef tank with soft and LPS corals and loved the experience of having such a beautiful underwater garden in the house. After a couple of great years I started a long and exhausting battle with algae which eventually defeated me and led to me leaving the hobby.

I have always intended to start another tank but after my previous experience have never felt in a position where I had the time and energy to devote to starting again. Fortunately I now feel that I am in that position and intend to set up another soft and LPS tank and will be lurking on this site to gain and update as much information as possible.

For all younger reefers out there you would not believe how much this hobby has progressed especially in the keeping of SPS coral which when I was last in the hobby was the preserve of Public Aquaria and a few crazy enthusiasts who have obviously blazed a trail for today’s modern reefs.

If this site had existed during my “dark algal days” then I am sure that I would have been able to find solutions and carry on, however looking in on this community has given me the confidence to start again in this satisfying hobby.

Many thanks in advance for all the good future advice that I will no doubt need.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to R2R and glad to have you back in the hobby!!

79B901A0-184F-4103-9AAC-7A71BF2F8097.gif

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Paul and I’m returning to the hobby after a break of over twenty years. I used to keep a 60 gallon reef tank with soft and LPS corals and loved the experience of having such a beautiful underwater garden in the house. After a couple of great years I started a long and exhausting battle with algae which eventually defeated me and led to me leaving the hobby.

I have always intended to start another tank but after my previous experience have never felt in a position where I had the time and energy to devote to starting again. Fortunately I now feel that I am in that position and intend to set up another soft and LPS tank and will be lurking on this site to gain and update as much information as possible.

For all younger reefers out there you would not believe how much this hobby has progressed especially in the keeping of SPS coral which when I was last in the hobby was the preserve of Public Aquaria and a few crazy enthusiasts who have obviously blazed a trail for today’s modern reefs.

If this site had existed during my “dark algal days” then I am sure that I would have been able to find solutions and carry on, however looking in on this community has given me the confidence to start again in this satisfying hobby.

Many thanks in advance for all the good future advice that I will no doubt need.
Hey Totally tollied,
Yep many changes, much easier these days
more to learn too.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 164 73.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 38 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back