revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks y'all!

Looks like I have about 60g left until she is full! Should be done by the morning. :)

I'm excited and nervous to get water running through all that plumbing. Eek!

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's prob five to ten gallons of water in just the piping rev. Can't wait are u just adding the salt to the tank?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well it's almost full! I ran some water down one of the overflows today for a bit and there were no leaks in those lines! :D

Got a few inches before it starts draining itself. By tonight I think! Then I will add salt, a couple heaters, and get the cycle going.

You think the Real Reef Rock will be enough to cycle the tank? It was live at one point and I have seen some dead stuff in and on the rock.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think the Real Reef Rock will be enough to cycle the tank? It was live at one point and I have seen some dead stuff in and on the rock.
Possibly.
Even if you don't want to use a bacteria in a bottle product I would still recommend dosing pure ammonia for your cycle. It is the only way you can tell exactly how well your cycle is going. Otherwise you may never know if your ammonia is being consumed by bacteria and converted or if you don't have enough ammonia being produced.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well it's almost full! I ran some water down one of the overflows today for a bit and there were no leaks in those lines! :D

Got a few inches before it starts draining itself. By tonight I think! Then I will add salt,

I would give the whole system a few hours to run before adding salt.

On my last 2 builds I ran a freshwater test for 24 hours with all pumps and heaters going.
I've found a couple slow leaks after the water warmed up a bit.
Just in case

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got a few inches before it starts draining itself. By tonight I think! Then I will add salt, a couple heaters, and get the cycle going.

I contacted that company direct and asked the same thing. If you dont put that rock in the water as soon as you receive it the good bacteria does not die, it goes dorment. Once placed in saltwater it comes back to life and will do what its meant to do. I would assume your fine and obviously just test for ammonia and nitrite. If they dont drop when expected then you know you have a problem with the rock.

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give the whole system a few hours to run before adding salt.

On my last 2 builds I ran a freshwater test for 24 hours with all pumps and heaters going.
I've found a couple slow leaks after the water warmed up a bit.
Just in case

Out of curiosity what would the reason be for doing that?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity what would the reason be for doing that?
It gives us a better chance to hit 2000 posts before the first fish gets in! ;):p:p:p

jamesbog283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be just in case their is a major leak somewhere and you have to drain the tank. You won't be wasting all the salt.

That makes sense! Thanks....sorry to interrupt your thread with a dumb question Rev

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leak test,
not all leaks appear immediately.

I agree. I found no leaks during my freshwater test and then a few days into having the tank running I found a slow drip from one of the bulkheads in the ghost overflow. Fortunately it was in a spot I could still get to otherwise it could've been devastating.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back