Rich Ross - Home Tank - guess the phosphate

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but what was it yesteday, you cheater! :)
Haha.

I feel like it can go both ways. Since you decided to make us guess the PO4 levels, and show us a picture of how good your corals look: it’s higher, not lower: 1.5ppm my guess. Maybe even 2ppm.

Tell us the answer already, Phosphate King!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This also happened in the same system
Of cause they spawn - they need to get their genes out of this darned high phosphate environment:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited by a moderator:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your MACNA talk going back to 2014 or 5, forget the exact year sorry, but you pretty much hit a home run when you joked about testing for it just because we can without understanding why. I think that is the case with a lot of things in this hobby. Too much marketing and not enough six demon bags...

I'm sort of in the same boat in letting it run its course because I gave up trying to keep it low. I dislike GFO because it is too messy. LC is great and works but I'd have to implement it in such a way that it is safe. In the mean time I know the number is going up and I see my All For Reef consumption decreasing. My guess is that the high phosphates are inhibiting some corals growth. Some don't care and continue to grow while others slow down thus reducing the demand for the product. So I lower the daily dose and the big three settle down a bit.

Hope your day is amazing and the vibe you had post vacation is still going strong. All the best to you and yours.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your MACNA talk going back to 2014 or 5, forget the exact year sorry, but you pretty much hit a home run when you joked about testing for it just because we can without understanding why. I think that is the case with a lot of things in this hobby. Too much marketing and not enough six demon bags...
Right on. Thanks!
I'm sort of in the same boat in letting it run its course because I gave up trying to keep it low. I dislike GFO because it is too messy. LC is great and works but I'd have to implement it in such a way that it is safe. In the mean time I know the number is going up and I see my All For Reef consumption decreasing. My guess is that the high phosphates are inhibiting some corals growth. Some don't care and continue to grow while others slow down thus reducing the demand for the product. So I lower the daily dose and the big three settle down a bit.
Could be. Don't people see AFR consumption change over time for all kinds of reasons?
Hope your day is amazing and the vibe you had post vacation is still going strong. All the best to you and yours.
Thanks so much and same to you!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be. Don't people see AFR consumption change over time for all kinds of reasons?

I don't know about others so only speak about what I experience. I've been using it long enough to see a pattern so it isn't a one time thing. I also know the test results / Trident is consistent as I can move the sample line to a reference solution or Neptune's calibration fluid and get correct numbers.

In my case it could be something or nothing. Just something I'm tracking.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plot twist - 0.02 it's ULNS!

I would guess 1.3. They look good!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 1.01.10 PM.png

10/6 is where I started Lanth dosing again, with an empty auto feeder on the main display. 10/10 fed 80 g frozen foods. 10/11 was 14g feeding of coral with pellets. 10/12 I refilled auto feeder on main display.

FTS from 9/21, looks pretty much the same now.
Fts_sept_21_2023.jpg

FTS from the other morning with the backlight on
FTS_october_2023.jpg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 1.01.10 PM.png

10/6 is where I started Lanth dosing again, with an empty auto feeder on the main display. 10/10 fed 80 g frozen foods. 10/11 was 14g feeding of coral with pellets. 10/12 I refilled auto feeder on main display.

FTS from 9/21, looks pretty much the same now.
Fts_sept_21_2023.jpg

FTS from the other morning with the backlight on
FTS_october_2023.jpg

Are you planning to go lower or is the mid .65 where you want to be? Only reason I'm asking because I doubt the reduction you made really matters much one way or the other.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job documenting, Richard Ross!

I agree with Big E: a surplus is a surplus. I’m glad lanthanum is working well for you, though! :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back