ROLLER FILTER VS FILTER SOCK IN ACTION

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not to be pedantic but you're actively comparing filtration performance on a roller that is 5x finer than your sock. 60 micron is vastly superior to 300. I think the comparison is cool, but you should focus on pointing out the other benefits of a roller system such as frequency between replacements compared to socks and then analyze cost vs reliability to really give an interesting perspective. Right now it feels like you're comparing the filtration effectiveness of a coffee filter and a fly swatter. :p

bristlebasher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree , too great a disparity between the two for it to provide any meaningful results.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be pedantic but you're actively comparing filtration performance on a roller that is 5x finer than your sock. 60 micron is vastly superior to 300. I think the comparison is cool, but you should focus on pointing out the other benefits of a roller system such as frequency between replacements compared to socks and then analyze cost vs reliability to really give an interesting perspective. Right now it feels like you're comparing the filtration effectiveness of a coffee filter and a fly swatter. :p
That is the reason for the test to show how much the paper is filtering compared to the sock. The roller filter will turn to your tank needs were the filter sock just keeps putting bad nutrients back in the water. I know i want my water stable, not all over the place because i did not change the sock.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the reason for the test to show how much the paper is filtering compared to the sock. The roller filter will turn to your tank needs were the filter sock just keeps putting bad nutrients back in the water. I know i want my water stable, not all over the place because i did not change the sock.
also about cost, taking care of living things in a tank is a responsibility. If it cost me a little more money a month to have a cleaner and healthier tank, it is well worth the money spent. How many times can you clean a filter sock before it is no longer any good , If the sock is stained after even washing it , how effective is it?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also about cost, taking care of living things in a tank is a responsibility. If it cost me a little more money a month to have a cleaner and healthier tank, it is well worth the money spent. How many times can you clean a filter sock before it is no longer any good , If the sock is stained after even washing it , how effective is it?
Depends on what you are using the mechanical filtration for. I've used the same two socks for over 5 years. Once a week they get swapped out, washed in bleach and ready to go for the next week. Mechanical filtration is about aesthetics to me more than it is about tank health. I don't like seeing little particles floating around in my tank. That said, go dive off any reef and there's constantly stuff suspended in the water.

I will agree with you on cleaner looking, but I don't know about healthier. I could be convinced though.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter sock is 300 micron and the roller filter is 60 micron, I have not seen a filter sock less than 200 micron but i could be wrong and if anyone knows were , please let me know were!
There was a thread on here where they were using 100 micron socks for polishing the water. I also ordered some from my lfs, We will see if I get some. Also what is a roller filter? Thanks..

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have started using my HP Aquaristic 10000 roller mat filter my biggest problem has been keeping phosphates in the system, the media is a 1 micron roll in this unit.
IMG_1082 by watsonj0, on Flickr
IMG_1081 by watsonj0, on Flickr

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you are using the mechanical filtration for. I've used the same two socks for over 5 years. Once a week they get swapped out, washed in bleach and ready to go for the next week. Mechanical filtration is about aesthetics to me more than it is about tank health. I don't like seeing little particles floating around in my tank. That said, go dive off any reef and there's constantly stuff suspended in the water.

I will agree with you on cleaner looking, but I don't know about healthier. I could be convinced though.
Tank health should be a priority before aesthetics! I do dive also, as far as stuff is floating in the water i do agree with, also do remember that there is tide in, slack tide, tide out, at least two times a day. That is the natural filter of the ocean.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a thread on here where they were using 100 micron socks for polishing the water. I also ordered some from my lfs, We will see if I get some. Also what is a roller filter? Thanks..
The roller filter is a filter that turns on your tank requirements so that you do not have to keep changing your filter sock or socks every time they are dirty. This makes for a healthier tank as to were if the sock is dirty and the water level in the sock is higher, the chances of the bad nutrients in the sock are going back into your tank. The roller filter turns at a certain time [ that you set with a timer] to roll the paper to a fresh clean section.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have seen the THIELING ROLLER MATT that brs is selling. very nice design, the only problem that i see is that it only can handle max 600 gal. per hour and if you noticed they are diverting water to other parts of there filtration system so that the roller filter can handle the flow rate. The design i came up with can and will handle a flow rate at almost 1700 gallon per hour. firm believer now that filter socks are the main reason some people are having issues maintaining there tank and lfs are just telling them they need this or that, not all lfs stores are like that but they are out there and some petco are a good example.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the THIELING ROLLER MATT that brs is selling. very nice design, the only problem that i see is that it only can handle max 600 gal. per hour and if you noticed they are diverting water to other parts of there filtration system so that the roller filter can handle the flow rate. The design i came up with can and will handle a flow rate at almost 1700 gallon per hour. firm believer now that filter socks are the main reason some people are having issues maintaining there tank and lfs are just telling them they need this or that, not all lfs stores are like that but they are out there and some petco are a good example.
Just so everyone knows, I am no stranger to SALTWATER AQUARIUMS:):):)

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have started using my HP Aquaristic 10000 roller mat filter my biggest problem has been keeping phosphates in the system, the media is a 1 micron roll in this unit.
IMG_1082 by watsonj0, on Flickr
IMG_1081 by watsonj0, on Flickr
nice setup, is that roller filter hand turn or does it have a motor and switch?

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice setup, is that roller filter hand turn or does it have a motor and switch?
Fully automatic with motor and switch has some nice loading features and emergency overflow design, handles 2650 GPH. Here is a link for more details, https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.hp-aquaristik.de/&prev=search. I had Advanced acrylic fabricate a custom PVC sump (72"x36"x30") to accommodate the unit. It is so efficient that I can add KZ coral snow to the tank and it filters out the snow in two hours, with filter socks it would take 8 hours+
The only downside is the cost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully automatic with motor and switch has some nice loading features and emergency overflow design, handles 2650 GPH. Here is a link for more details, https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.hp-aquaristik.de/&prev=search. I had Advanced acrylic fabricate a custom PVC sump (72"x36"x30") to accommodate the unit. It is so efficient that I can add KZ coral snow to the tank and it filters out the snow in two hours, with filter socks it would take 8 hours+
The only downside is the cost.
I looked at the site and did not see a price. So is it safe to say, you do not like filter socks.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the site and did not see a price. So is it safe to say, you do not like filter socks.
I could never go back to filter socks, started with a Thiel filter mat and moved to the HP unit so I could run all outflow through it, the cost was about $2500 shipped. It makes so much sense to remove the detritus from the water column. The change in water parameters illustrated how much the filter mat system works. I have taken Biopellets offline, and my nitrates and phosphates are lower than with the pellets running.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never go back to filter socks, started with a Thiel filter mat and moved to the HP unit so I could run all outflow through it, the cost was about $2500 shipped. It makes so much sense to remove the detritus from the water column. The change in water parameters illustrated how much the filter mat system works. I have taken Biopellets offline, and my nitrates and phosphates are lower than with the pellets running.
How long have you been running your roller filter? I have been running the one i built for almost 3 months now and i will never go back to a sock again. the amount of stuff that comes out of the water every 12 hrs [thats what i find on my system works best] is insane. I do still run a protien skimmer and always will. These 2 tanks setup side by side is a real eye opener. I hope everyone that see's the difference that socks can actually increase a tanks health. 2500.00 dollars would be hard to swallow but look at the difference it makes. I was actually thinking about selling these for 250.00.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been running your roller filter? I have been running the one i built for almost 3 months now and i will never go back to a sock again. the amount of stuff that comes out of the water every 12 hrs [thats what i find on my system works best] is insane. I do still run a protien skimmer and always will. These 2 tanks setup side by side is a real eye opener. I hope everyone that see's the difference that socks can actually increase a tanks health. 2500.00 dollars would be hard to swallow but look at the difference it makes. I was actually thinking about selling these for 250.00.
NOT SOCKS:eek: FILTER PAPER:D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back