ROLLER FILTER VS FILTER SOCK IN ACTION

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running since 11/1/2015, this unit only advances when the water level rises, so there is maximum efficiency on media usage, also it looks like a roll of paper last 6-8 months on my 500 Gal system initially I ran through the media quite rapidly 12-18"/day as all the crap was pulled out of the water now it advances 1-2 " a day. My protein skimmer has effectively shut down and am considering taking offline at this point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running since 11/1/2015, this unit only advances when the water level rises, so there is maximum efficiency on media usage, also it looks like a roll of paper last 6-8 months on my 500 Gal system initially I ran through the media quite rapidly 12-18"/day as all the crap was pulled out of the water now it advances 1-2 " a day. My protein skimmer has effectively shut down and am considering taking offline at this point.
That is also what my roller filter did in the begining ,now only every 12 hours and protien skimmer really not doing much but i will still run to be on the safe side, as they say, if it works dont mess with it. I am glad you posted a response, This way others can hear other stories about how filter paper is way better than a filter sock, some people will still be on the fence but that is ok. I would like to hear from others that have roller filters that have an opinion on the matter.Ray.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is also what my roller filter did in the begining ,now only every 12 hours and protien skimmer really not doing much but i will still run to be on the safe side, as they say, if it works dont mess with it. I am glad you posted a response, This way others can hear other stories about how filter paper is way better than a filter sock, some people will still be on the fence but that is ok. I would like to hear from others that have roller filters that have an opinion on the matter.Ray.
So now i see the difference in the two tanks after 3 weeks, I hope that everyone else did. I know people are skeptic and i understand, so that being said this will run for one more week and do another video at the end of next week at witch time these tanks will be incorporated into one sump, pump, roller filter with an algae scrubber included in the roller filter. not sure if i should start a new thread or keep it on this thread. everybody that views this thread PLEASE comment on this thread and comment on your thoughts.Ray.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd want to see a study much longer than a few weeks before I'd be convinced. This started out sounding like a comparison of the filtering capacity of a "coffee filter" versus a "colander" and then it morphed into saying that "coffee filters" make healthier tanks. Obviously those are not the actual thugs being used but the analogy is equivalent.

I've seen no evidence to support that claim, but it might be a valid one. I'm not surprised at all that the water appears cleaner in the tank with the paper roll. It's much finer than the filter sock. That doesn't mean a thing in terms of health as far as I'm concerned. A longer study is needed.

Now that you've stated your intention to sell these, your opinion on the matter is completely biased. I still think it is a worthwhile trial, but I'd want to hear some long term benefits from a neutral party.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd want to see a study much longer than a few weeks before I'd be convinced. This started out sounding like a comparison of the filtering capacity of a "coffee filter" versus a "colander" and then it morphed into saying that "coffee filters" make healthier tanks. Obviously those are not the actual thugs being used but the analogy is equivalent.

I've seen no evidence to support that claim, but it might be a valid one. I'm not surprised at all that the water appears cleaner in the tank with the paper roll. It's much finer than the filter sock. That doesn't mean a thing in terms of health as far as I'm concerned. A longer study is needed.

Now that you've stated your intention to sell these, your opinion on the matter is completely biased. I still think it is a worthwhile trial, but I'd want to hear some long term benefits from a neutral party.
Maybe you should try putting a coffee filter in your sock or socks and see what happens, then you could see a difference in what happens with your tank and come to think of it that really is a good idea that i would like to see everyone try, hell , i may do it here. as far as selling goes , thats my opinion, may or may not work, thielling roller mat sells for a lot more than i'll charge.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be interesting to try. As you're well aware, things in this hobby take a long time to prove out. A few weeks isn't enough time. You might be right about needing finer filtration. I'm just not convinced at this point. Cleaned water is subjective. I want to see healthier growth or improved parameters maintenance over some number of months.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TANKS STAY AS THEY ARE! gonna buy some fish today, some chromis if lfs has any, same amount in each tank!

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be interesting to try. As you're well aware, things in this hobby take a long time to prove out. A few weeks isn't enough time. You might be right about needing finer filtration. I'm just not convinced at this point. Cleaned water is subjective. I want to see healthier growth or improved parameters maintenance over some number of months.

I mentioned earlier , I am able to maintain better (lower nitrate and PO4) parameters with a roller mat than socks and bio pellets that is a strong indicator, oh and yes this is over 8 months.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned earlier , I am able to maintain better (lower nitrate and PO4) parameters with a roller mat than socks and bio pellets that is a strong indicator, oh and yes this is over 8 months.
I run filter socks and my nitrates and phosphates are at 0. It takes effort for me to keep nutrients in my system. Granted it is lightly stocked.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like i said put the coffee filters in and you will be convinced. you will be changing the sock or socks ALOT!

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to hear, I wish i would have known this when i did my 7000 gallon.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
icecool2 said:
How long has it been running, and i do understand that this short amount of time is not long enough time. Just did not want to have to stock the tanks but in reality to show fairness , i guess i need to! Oh boy, wife gonna go nuts.:D:D:D:D

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been running, and i do understand that this short amount of time is not long enough time. Just did not want to have to stock the tanks but in reality to show fairness , i guess i need to! Oh boy, wife gonna go nuts.:D:D:D:D
Just over a year now. If you've got that giant tank still, what's a few more fish? :)

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just over a year now. If you've got that giant tank still, what's a few more fish? :)
Lost my house after 12 years in the so called great recesion . I build swimming pools for a living and there was no construction going on here in florida, have worked for this same company for 30 years, Thank big tank was alot of fun and do miss looking at it at night!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks a lot. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm hoping for a giant tank in my future.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks a lot. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm hoping for a giant tank in my future.
It is what it is, millions lost there homes, some did it to themselves by cashing out and refinance to the max, others like myself lost due to the banks not working with people, that is a whole nother story. back to fish tank stuff:D lets see today what lfs has and i will report later on the finds:D:D

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing worth buying at local lfs. I think will place order thru live aquaria, never had problem with anything that i bought before, probably better off anyway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back