ROLLER FILTER VS FILTER SOCK IN ACTION

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the micron size on those roller mats small enough to filter out any disease organisms?

~Bruce, who's pretty certain he can't afford one, and even more certain he hasn't got room for one in the sump . . .

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the micron size on those roller mats small enough to filter out any disease organisms?

~Bruce, who's pretty certain he can't afford one, and even more certain he hasn't got room for one in the sump . . .
That is a really good question, the only way i can answer is since having put this roller filter on my tank the water parimiters have stayed stable, they dont fluctuate like they did with the sock and the fish and corals are healthy and continue to grow. You would be suprised at how much these will sell for, affordable for all. algae scruber gonna be on them as well . an all in on package;)

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so some things are really starting to change over the last couple days, the filter sock tank is really clouded, the roller filter tank is crystle clear. nothing has been added to either tank except water top off from evaporation. filter paper has not been turned nor filter sock change. leather coral in roller filter tank fine, leather coral in filter sock tank still in a ball. chemistry is ok. anybody have a clue?

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is 3 weeks and a day, filter sock tank has now become a maintenance issue, water is getting really cloudy as to were roller filter tank is crystle clear. look at the video and be the judge. everyone that looks at this thread, please ask a question, thats what this about, how good are filter socks. its a know wonder why people that start tanks just give up, who wants to have spent hundreds of dollars on a tank they always dreamed of and it take a crap overnight, enought for now. ray.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch the filters over and let's see how quickly the filter sock tank clears?

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, at this point, the things I am taking away are:
1) 60 micron filters better than 300 micron
2) A roller filter is easier to maintain than socks

I don't see any other empirical conclusions that can be drawn at this time given the data at-hand, but readily admit I may be missing something...?

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, at this point, the things I am taking away are:
1) 60 micron filters better than 300 micron
2) A roller filter is easier to maintain than socks

I don't see any other empirical conclusions that can be drawn at this time given the data at-hand, but readily admit I may be missing something...?
60 micron or even 40 micron is by far better filtering, 300 micron or even 200 micron is in no way effective enough filtering period! look at the clarity in the water between both tanks! that is what this test is about. try putting some coffee filters inside of your sock or socks and come back and tell me the results! THE CONCLUSIONS ARE IN THE VIDEO! yes the roller filter is easier to maintain, you have the timer turn the paper when needed as per your tank. just buy a roll of paper on amazon like i said in earlier in this thread and find out for yourself or do the coffee filter! PROOF IS IN THE VIDEO, FILTER SOCKS ARE MORE MAINTAINANCE!

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before i change the water, gonna cut some paper and fit it in a filter sock. the time now is 3:45 , that will give it almost 11 hrs to run before i get home from work.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 micron or even 40 micron is by far better filtering, 300 micron or even 200 micron is in no way effective enough filtering period!
Every reef is different - both in our tanks and in the wild. Take Monterey, for example. The waters there have 10ft visibility on average at 40ft deep. Compare that to the Caribbean, which has 100ft visibility and more at nearly any depth where there is light. Both are thriving aquatic environments. Granted, most people would very likely prefer that their tanks are more the latter than the former, but my point being that simply the clarity of water may not be the best indication of a healthy aquatic environment.

look at the clarity in the water between both tanks! that is what this test is about.
Ah; I see. Yes; if that is the aim of your test, then your findings are most certainly correct.

try putting some coffee filters inside of your sock or socks and come back and tell me the results!
Not a test I'm willing to run, sorry. My water clarity is well within limits I find acceptable. Granted, I'm running not only two 225 micron filter socks, but also a skimmer, carbon, GFO, a fuge, and a bit more mechanical filtration on top of all that.
But I can guess at the result. I would filter out more of the finer debris. I would have to change the filters more frequently. My tank would likely clear up a bit visually. What I can't accurately guess at is what would happen to my nutrients and other parameters; which, if not ideal, are acceptable. I suspect that my phosphate, at least, would be easier to maintain at near-zero with finer filtration than I currently use.

As to the maintenance, I don't personally consider it much of a burden. I have multiple sets of socks that I change out every few days, and cleaning them is not hard as I have a utility sink in the garage and mesh takes only moments to clean. While a roller filter would eliminate even that task, I do not consider the cost - either in money nor space - to be worth it. I can see how others would see the benefit and be willing to pay the cost, however. Were I building a new tank out, I would very likely consider planning space for a roller filter from the start.

Best of luck in all your efforts!

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but my point being that simply the clarity of water may not be the best indication of a healthy aquatic environment.
Wrong, the clarity of the water is a indication of a very healthy tank, the par lighting is in fact better for coral, nothing blocking the true natural light just like a real coral reef does.
That is the whole purpose of using a finer material like filter paper.
Best of luck in all your efforts!
Thank you, Ray.
But I can guess at the result. I would filter out more of the finer debris. I would have to change the filters more frequently.

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter sock is 300 micron and the roller filter is 60 micron, I have not seen a filter sock less than 200 micron but i could be wrong and if anyone knows were , please let me know were!
Felt style filter bags do not typically go below 200 micron, I have not found any, but the nylon mesh monofilament bags come in the following micron: 1, 5, 10, 25, 35, 45, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, up to 1000. The monofilament nylon is way easier to clean than the felt bags but in a test of my 75G a 200 micron felt clogs up a lot fast than a 200 micron multifilament mesh, so it is taking out more. The monofilament bag is more efficient than the multifilament but I have not gotten any test data. The multifilament is rated as a disposable filter while the monofilament is rated as re-usable and costs about twice the price. I have not tested the monofilament against the felt, I have some on order but they have not arrived yet. I plan on testing the 50 and 25 micron bags as soon as I get them.
Unless a filter is rated as an absolute rating then the micron rating just means that when tested they found some of the particles as small as the rated size. I have not been able to get an efficiency rating of either bag so I am guessing the felt is more efficient than the multifilament mesh.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Felt style filter bags do not typically go below 200 micron, I have not found any, but the nylon mesh monofilament bags come in the following micron: 1, 5, 10, 25, 35, 45, 50, 75, 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, up to 1000. The monofilament nylon is way easier to clean than the felt bags but in a test of my 75G a 200 micron felt clogs up a lot fast than a 200 micron multifilament mesh, so it is taking out more. The monofilament bag is more efficient than the multifilament but I have not gotten any test data. The multifilament is rated as a disposable filter while the monofilament is rated as re-usable and costs about twice the price. I have not tested the monofilament against the felt, I have some on order but they have not arrived yet. I plan on testing the 50 and 25 micron bags as soon as I get them.
Unless a filter is rated as an absolute rating then the micron rating just means that when tested they found some of the particles as small as the rated size. I have not been able to get an efficiency rating of either bag so I am guessing the felt is more efficient than the multifilament mesh.
were did you find these, and thanks for the info.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the paper in the socks that i put in this morning are not effective , to much water going around and past the paper and cant get paper in the sock to stay in place, this is a bummer i am going to do a water change!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 164 73.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 38 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back