ROLLER FILTER VS FILTER SOCK IN ACTION

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how the microfauna of the tank is effected by the filter paper, with its small micron size. I think that should also be taken into account as far as the health of the tank. Biodiversity is important and all the worms and pods and such are beneficial to the tank.

I don't think our eyes are particularly good as the sole tool to assess tank health. Sure, po4 and no3 may be lower, but you can achieve that other ways.

How about the people who cut holes on their socks because they feel it filters too much? I believe @Diesel does, and has a very successful, beautiful tank...

If Crystal clear water is the goal, you can also use a little ozone, or carbon could help.

I see the point of it but don't think it's necessarily the best thing since sliced bread..

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how the microfauna of the tank is effected by the filter paper, with its small micron size. I think that should also be taken into account as far as the health of the tank. Biodiversity is important and all the worms and pods and such are beneficial to the tank.

I don't think our eyes are particularly good as the sole tool to assess tank health. Sure, po4 and no3 may be lower, but you can achieve that other ways.

How about the people who cut holes on their socks because they feel it filters too much? I believe @Diesel does, and has a very successful, beautiful tank...

If Crystal clear water is the goal, you can also use a little ozone, or carbon could help.

I see the point of it but don't think it's necessarily the best thing since sliced bread..

Holes or no socks get your water crystal clear with a 4hr MacroNano bubbling session per night. @Cruz_Arias

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a lot of people (myself included) have difficulty understanding the purpose of your documentation. It's already been established that your 60(?) micron roll is vastly superior to the 300(?) micron filter sock. I don't know much about your frag vs frag or clarity vs clarity posts, but those are hard to quantify and difficult to attribute. In one of your posts you said that people were skeptical but I don't know about what? Who is arguing that a 300 micron sock is better than a 60 micron roll that removes waster after 12 hours vs 2-3-4-5+ days? I think its very obvious that the rolling paper is better than the sock, but only in situations where a) it's possible to implement and b) the cost isn't ridiculous for non-diy people.

I think you should continue to document the journey as it seems you enjoy it, but I'm lost as to where we are going.

HeadStrongGrafx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my roller mat!! I even put a small power head inside my rollermat container because I'll get a lot of detritus settling on the bottom. I'll run the power head in there so it doesn't settle and gets caught in the mat and rolled out so it doesn't break down in my water.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people (myself included) have difficulty understanding the purpose of your documentation. It's already been established that your 60(?) micron roll is vastly superior to the 300(?) micron filter sock. I don't know much about your frag vs frag or clarity vs clarity posts, but those are hard to quantify and difficult to attribute. In one of your posts you said that people were skeptical but I don't know about what? Who is arguing that a 300 micron sock is better than a 60 micron roll that removes waster after 12 hours vs 2-3-4-5+ days? I think its very obvious that the rolling paper is better than the sock, but only in situations where a) it's possible to implement and b) the cost isn't ridiculous for non-diy people.

I think you should continue to document the journey as it seems you enjoy it, but I'm lost as to where we are going.

The purpose of this is comparison to the sock or paper. Paper micron is finer no doubt, but is also a better filtering material than the sock is. Filter socks just let to much nutrients go back into the water in turn makes it harder to keep the balance proper. Was on a job last week building a waterfall on a pool [ i build pools for a living] and the homeowner and i started talking about saltwater tanks, she told me and then showed me her 150 saltwater tank. Then she told me all the problems she was having with the system, I then asked if i could see the filter system, after looking at it she then told me she has a company that comes over once a month and supposedly does a 20 percent water change. [ not bad, but boarder line in my opinion] tank was is need of some serious help.I showed her videos of my tank and filter system and she was very impressed as to were she is considering having me redesign her system, not impressed with her company that is supposed to take care of her tank. So as were i am going with this is that some people do not have the capability to maintain there systems, thats why they hire people to do it, and as i have seen first hand that the person taking care of it is not doing the job either. the reason for the roller filter is to actually have a proper and regular filter change, not let the sock just keep putting back and even adding to a system all the bad nutrients.
The cost of paper is not a factor when it is a responseabilty that you keep your tank up to par. this design is just something i came up with . i will NEVER EVER USE A SOCK AGAIN. My 180 tank has never looked as good as is does now and i have been doing this for twenty years. As to where we are going, out with the old, in with the new.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my roller mat!! I even put a small power head inside my rollermat container because I'll get a lot of detritus settling on the bottom. I'll run the power head in there so it doesn't settle and gets caught in the mat and rolled out so it doesn't break down in my water.
Glad to hear that, filter paper is far better than filter socks. Good idea with the power head to keep up with the detrius. The saying is YOU CAN TEACH OLD DOGS NEW TRICKS.;)

The Rook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure many of us would run one if it weren't for the size and costs. Don't really need to debate that. More compact and less expensive and I'm in.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure many of us would run one if it weren't for the size and costs. Don't really need to debate that. More compact and less expensive and I'm in.
Ok, let me ask you this, how small are you talking, something can maybe fit in a 10 gallon or even a 5 gallon tank? That can be done with no problem. As far as cost goes, the smaller, the cheaper it is because of less acrylic used. the size of the paper can be cut to fit all sizes. To make one fit the size of a 10 gallon or five gallon like a nano tank sump, the price of the roller container that holds the paper would be your most expense [ i would roughly say 100.00] Then it would be the price of the paper [ depends on you system as to how much your system will use] I can tell you in the begining when i first started using the paper the amount of stuff that was coming out of the water was unreal, then as time went buy the paper did not need to be turned as often ,My tank has never looked as good as it does and water chemistry has stayed stable, no more swings in parimiters. FILTER SOCKS ARE DONE!

danknuc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let me ask you this, how small are you talking, something can maybe fit in a 10 gallon or even a 5 gallon tank? That can be done with no problem. As far as cost goes, the smaller, the cheaper it is because of less acrylic used. the size of the paper can be cut to fit all sizes. To make one fit the size of a 10 gallon or five gallon like a nano tank sump, the price of the roller container that holds the paper would be your most expense [ i would roughly say 100.00] Then it would be the price of the paper [ depends on you system as to how much your system will use] I can tell you in the begining when i first started using the paper the amount of stuff that was coming out of the water was unreal, then as time went buy the paper did not need to be turned as often ,My tank has never looked as good as it does and water chemistry has stayed stable, no more swings in parimiters. FILTER SOCKS ARE DONE!
If you want to take everything out of the water then you could go with a 1 micron sock filter for $20, sure beets the price of acrylic and replacing roller paper.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to take everything out of the water then you could go with a 1 micron sock filter for $20, sure beets the price of acrylic and replacing roller paper.
where are you getting a 1 micron sock, if you could buy them online or at lfs, why not buy them. I know why, you would have to change them every 12 hours thats why! and for 20 bucks each you better buy a couple cases of 24 cause you are gonna be a busy person! talk about maintainence , no thanks, i still with my roller filter!!!!:D:D:D

The Rook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely build one if i could do it within a 5 gallon tank size.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray, we all know you are doing this to start selling roller mats you're going to make. It shouldn't be about comments Or views. Anytime you're filtering with a smaller micron of course you're going to get more out of the water.

OP
OP
R

Ray's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray, we all know you are doing this to start selling roller mats you're going to make. It shouldn't be about comments Or views. Anytime you're filtering with a smaller micron of course you're going to get more out of the water.
I am doing this to show how inaffective the filter socks really are, and who is we all. Are you speaking for all the people here on reef2reef? Not everybody understands the importance of good filtration, some people dont use a sock at all and have great results [ to the people that dont use socks, my hat is off to you] . As far as selling goes is there a problem with that, if you had an idea that might help other people with there tanks and could possibly sell would you not do it! The fact of the matter is, these will be affordable, not out of reach where some people have a limited budget for there tanks, I was there before as was everyone else!

The Rook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like the idea of a roller with the sock material. Then once a month you toss it in the laundry, wind it back up and use it again.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back