Saltgator's 240 Build

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news on the tangs! Nice having such a large tank that you can house all of them. They are just curious to the shimp. Give them time and I bet the shrimp will start a "car wash" for them soon to be cleaned in.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tjsnkd Ryan. I'm hoping so. Next order of business is to get sps since I've lost all mine from stn (dealing with low mag, alk burn from carbon dosing). Also greatly considering catching my sandstorm aka bullet gobies and selling him or letting him reside in the fuge.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I finally did and lost these sps that have been thru almost everything. I guess it's not as as bad as losing a bunch of colonies, instead it wast 2 colonies and a few frags. Gonna try and get some local cuts in a few weeks but probably going to grab some low end frags this week to test.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad, sorry to hear about the SPS losses, but glad to hear things went smoothly with the Mimic's release. Would love to see some pics!

Quinn123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, almost a week into it and things have been good so far in qt and the fishless 240. Kept the LEDs off for 2 days and cyano and dinos have already been reduced in half. I'm sure the lack of the LEDs and nutrients (feeding the fish) was a big assistant.

Just because I'm addicted to this hobby and the beauty of it, I took another chance at a red sea regal from a sponsor that used to be here, ***ragit.com. After Wan (a awesome guy to communicate with, email and phone) advised me he had a red sea regal that had been in qt for him close to a month and was eating frozen mysis and pellets. I couldn't resist after he sent pictures and videos of it eating. Yesterday the regal came in and within the first hour after a 2 hour drip to the qt, I couldn't fill the regal up!!! He ate frozen mysis and garlic enriched brine like no tomorrow on both feedings. I couldn't be more pleased and happy with this beautiful regal, it's quality, and the time spent by Wan @ ***ragit. Here's a teaser pic from wan and a quick shot I took while the regal checked me out during drip.
42576e9e-f303-765e.jpg

42576e9e-f317-32ac.jpg

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO
congrat on the regal !!! at one point i had four regal in my 144 mix reef tank for over a year. had to sell them off because they were eating all my acans, brains, and lobo.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Quinn. I live mine but there are times he gets on my nerves, usually it's because he's aggressive towards my mag fox.

Thanks M&T. Pics? Lol. I'll see what I can round up later,lol. Trust me they will not me worthy,lol.

I appreciate Ryan. I'm gonna put a round of glue on my last frag and see if I can stop the stn. At this point it can't hurt.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another log entry.

Loss the mag Foxface last week. Something must have spooked him cause he was dried out on the floor by the time I found him.

Bought unknown sps frags on my birthday over a week ago in Tampa. Spent a whopping $21 on 2 tiny sticks. Wanted to see if I could sustain sps again since my stn issues.

Considering big sand particles or bb. I'm just tired of the sand storm!

Purchased a sps frag pack from a local. Gonna pick it up on our reef conference. Some nice pieces are in this pack, hopefully they do well.

Passed on a wrasse I've been searching for. A Richmond wrasse. Just drug my feet on the purchase and missed out.

Looking for squamosa clams is tiring right now. Not a whole lot online to choose from.

azjohnny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering big sand particles or bb. I'm just tired of the sand storm!

I went BB after I got tired of my Fuscus trigger moving the sand around like a fresh water cichlid and the particles getting caught in the MP60s, I was using the largest sand size available before you get to crushed coral ( You don't want CC) If you can get past the aesthetics of not having sand it is easier to keep the DT clean and you can run a lot more flow within the tank

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks azjohnny. I've been bb before but needed some help stability wise and figured sand would help. At that same time, I had no fuge. Now that I have a fuge, I'm considering just swapping the sand in the dt over to the remote fuge. Just not sure how I'm gonna pull this off and not get a mini cycle without drying and killing the sand. My choices imo are either pull the sand during a wc, dry it and start it all over in the fuge or just do a transfer via siphon to the remote fuge and watch for a mini cycle

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of the stn. I have a nice 4" colony doing the same :( I fragged pieces from it and hoping for the best. Also sorry about your Foxface... but the regal sure is purdy!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jackie. I'm hoping the stn is done. 1 of the 2 cheap acros looks like it had white tips and white around the base, but I'm watching it to see if it's growth or stn. The other acro is appearing fine so far.

I have no idea why the mag fox jumped but my wife is now insisting on netting. I had tosses the idea up if I ever got wrasses again, but now it's just a need for all.

Everyone loves the regal,lol. He can be a pain at times but sure is a show stopper!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True on the netting. If I didn't have a closed canopy I know for sure my pbt would've gone carpet surfing. He hit the sidewall with a thud and knocked himself silly lol.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really,wow. Sorry to hear he got a headache but at least he's still with you. I just never expected tangs to jump out, mine all bow up if you scare them. Maybe my tangs think it's fight club,lol.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, my pbt is about 6" now and a scrapper. He was most likely chasing one of the other tangs. I've seen him hit the water surface before but never the canopy door. Lol.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yeah my guys like to bow up on each other on the days they are not being fed. Maybe it's their way of getting my attention, lol, even though I know it's cause they aren't eating ( though each one is fat). I'm in the process (drawing atm only) on a canopy finally. Trying to do minimal weight. Possibly going to be vertical sliding doors.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great! I like the sliding door idea. Mine is not very heavy. It has 1x2 framing, .25" birch plywood and the trim is composite and not real wood. All to keep it light. I rarely need to remove it but when I do 2 people can handle it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 39 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back