***SBB- Spring Sale***- 800 WYSYWG - 200 Auctions! $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off Starts 5/17/23!!! $1500 In Games and GIfts!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks money for how young it is.
young dolph plies GIF by Worldstar Hip Hop
Thanks! I made sure I kind of knew what I wanted to do when I started and I’ve definitely gone fast and overboard but I’d say it’s going much better than I imagined for sure and I’m having a blast. I’ve been able to put all the crazy stuff I want in to see what I like and see what I feel comfortable with. Someday, the stuff I like will get moved to a bigger tank and I’ll keep learning from y’all!

Im already feeling the Tenuis pull. It was just another coral to me at first but I want to be successful with it and I think I will be someday even if it means a designated setup.

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to keep this IM nano as small and clean as possible without wires and devices everywhere and figured most UVs would work okay in such a small tank. I just grabbed one of the universal IM aqua shields. Not sure if it’s helping with Dinos, but I’m sucking less and less out everyday. So getting somewhere. Thoughts on running UV 24/7 just for water clarity? I know some people do and some people only like to have one around to bust out if they have an outbreak.

5E5F7263-F4EA-41DF-98EA-077F5F52C2FB.png
I ran one 24/7 on my previous nano and I wouldn't do it again. It seemed to have an effect on the bacteria and microcrustacean population in the tank.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I made sure I kind of knew what I wanted to do when I started and I’ve definitely gone fast and overboard but I’d say it’s going much better than I imagined for sure and I’m having a blast. I’ve been able to put all the crazy stuff I want in to see what I like and see what I feel comfortable with. Someday, the stuff I like will get moved to a bigger tank and I’ll keep learning from y’all!

Im already feeling the Tenuis pull. It was just another coral to me at first but I want to be successful with it and I think I will be someday even if it means a designated setup.
I used to not "get" acros..boooorrrring. Never really understood what the big deal was. After going crazy on zoas and the "it moves in the water" corals I tried a couple acros. At the time there was probably 100 or more different zoa strains in my tank and selling them was lucrative enough to play free in the reef. Being a glutton for punishment I needed a bigger challenge..so let's try acros. What intrigues me is the wait and see aspect involved. It's a long, committed, frustrating, rewarding, humbling experience all wrapped up in one. No other corals offer the changes in color and growth like they do. Had it not been for the challenge of them..I probably would have gotten bored with reefing quite frankly. Anyways..that's my journey into acros.

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to not "get" acros..boooorrrring. Never really understood what the big deal was. After going crazy on zoas and the "it moves in the water" corals I tried a couple acros. At the time there was probably 100 or more different zoa strains in my tank and selling them was lucrative enough to play free in the reef. Being a glutton for punishment I needed a bigger challenge..so let's try acros. What intrigues me is the wait and see aspect involved. It's a long, committed, frustrating, rewarding, humbling experience all wrapped up in one. No other corals offer the changes in color and growth like they do. Had it not been for the challenge of them..I probably would have gotten bored with reefing quite frankly. Anyways..that's my journey into acros.
Well said. I can’t say that I’m at the stage of being bored with the others yet, but I can say that seeing what’s possible (in your tank and the many others here), seeing a glimmer of success and how neat a healthy acro looks, and that things could go south very quickly intrigues me to say the least.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see both sides. I find Gonis and Torchspawn fun to keep(as well as a few other lps), but I also appreciate all the fantastic colors and shapes Acros come in.I tried and failed miserably with my first attempt(SBB actually) but I haven’t been fully committed til recently.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I see both sides. I find Gonis and Torchspawn fun to keep(as well as a few other lps), but I also appreciate all the fantastic colors and shapes Acros come in.I tried and failed miserably with my first attempt(SBB actually) but I haven’t been fully committed til recently.
Haha have you seen the real torchspawns? I'm assuming you mean torches and the frogspawn/octospawn you have, but Reef builders did an article on hybrids. https://reefbuilders.com/2020/07/22/hybrid-euphyllia-coral-are-more-common-than-we-think/. I've seen torchspawns maybe twice, they are uncommon.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with the corals I mentioned..I like them all! Most of them are just a little more set it and forget at this point..within reason. Honestly..the most compliments I've ever gotten was pulsing xenia. Maybe it's just the thrill of not knowing how long the success will last..lol.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There's nothing wrong with the corals I mentioned..I like them all! Most of them are just a little more set it and forget at this point..within reason. Honestly..the most compliments I've ever gotten was pulsing xenia. Maybe it's just the thrill of not knowing how long the success will last..lol.
Get a heliofungia or things known to be difficult :)

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll grab some new things when the tank is ready. My goal is to have a lot of open sand space and keep it looking clean and uncluttered.
Well that’s certainly the opposite of my jungle. It just sort of …..happened

wes84

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to keep this IM nano as small and clean as possible without wires and devices everywhere and figured most UVs would work okay in such a small tank. I just grabbed one of the universal IM aqua shields. Not sure if it’s helping with Dinos, but I’m sucking less and less out everyday. So getting somewhere. Thoughts on running UV 24/7 just for water clarity? I know some people do and some people only like to have one around to bust out if they have an outbreak.

5E5F7263-F4EA-41DF-98EA-077F5F52C2FB.png
I run uv 24/7 for the fish

Ben549

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run uv 24/7 for the fish
That's at a much higher flow rate though. Im not sure that the UV models we've used have that much flow and probably arent as effective against fish parasites (based on their reproductive cycle)

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's at a much higher flow rate though. Im not sure that the UV models we've used have that much flow and probably arent as effective against fish parasites (based on their reproductive cycle)
I'm running a Pentair Aquatics 25W since the beginning. I replace the bulb about 1x every yr around Turkey Day

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back