***SBB- Spring Sale***- 800 WYSYWG - 200 Auctions! $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off Starts 5/17/23!!! $1500 In Games and GIfts!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's at a much higher flow rate though. Im not sure that the UV models we've used have that much flow and probably arent as effective against fish parasites (based on their reproductive cycle)
Can’t comment on the parasite issue. There’s definitely some resources stating that you are correct in that it isn’t effective against parasites with our hobby level equipment.

I did do some research last night for awhile on bacteria and copepods and UV. I think the general consensus is that most of the good bacteria is attached to your rock work and you aren’t going to have significant losses in good bacteria with UV. With Copepods, my understanding is that unless you are running a super high powered UV at a very slow rate, it won’t have any affect on copepods. If you were to run a very high wattage light at a very very slow speed you could cause reproductive damage to the pods, but it sounds like that doesn’t happen very often. There is more to it than that including what sort of good bacteria is free floating and how does a UV affect available food for filter feeders but It seems that there are many reefers running a UV 24/7 without any noticeable decrease in copepods or beneficial bacteria.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more to it than that including what sort of good bacteria is free floating and how does a UV affect available food for filter feeders but It seems that there are many reefers running a UV 24/7 without any noticeable decrease in copepods or beneficial bacteria.

Bottom line, there are few bacteria that float freely in our tanks that we want there. Most will attach to a surface and colonize it. UV will cause cell and DNA damage to most aquatic organisms, but dwell time (the time the organism is exposed) matters. You don't want to tan your bacteria, you want to give it second degree sunburn.

Filter feeders can eat it after it's been sterilized too with no real loss of nutrition or mass.

Most people just run UV on too large a pump or too fast a flow.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a plan to shed a few pounds before the wedding. I remember when I first started doing business trips in Texas and Florida and the sales reps I would travel with would bring two dress shirts since they know they would sweat through them. Hard to adjust from San Diego weather 72 all the time to heat and humidity.
I was in San Diego this past weekend. Took the kids to the Midway and stayed the night. Yep, it was just about 72 degrees. It’s a little bit warmer where I am in OC, but not much lately. I’m ready for summer weather now; hoping to go to the beach this weekend.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to not "get" acros..boooorrrring. Never really understood what the big deal was. After going crazy on zoas and the "it moves in the water" corals I tried a couple acros. At the time there was probably 100 or more different zoa strains in my tank and selling them was lucrative enough to play free in the reef. Being a glutton for punishment I needed a bigger challenge..so let's try acros. What intrigues me is the wait and see aspect involved. It's a long, committed, frustrating, rewarding, humbling experience all wrapped up in one. No other corals offer the changes in color and growth like they do. Had it not been for the challenge of them..I probably would have gotten bored with reefing quite frankly. Anyways..that's my journey into acros.
I Love the challenge too. And agree with everything else you said about acros.

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Attachments

• 20230612_100455.jpg
    20230612_100455.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 63

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vaaacaaaay!!!
I’ve got one coming up I’m a bit stressed about because it’s long and the tank will need to be automated.
In preparation I’ve already bought

Backup Return pump and plumber it so it can be swapped out with an unscrewing/screwing a coupler.

Another Tunze ATO

A BRS 50ml/minute doser as a 3rd ATO. I’m going to fill up one of those plastic totes they sell at target with RODI.

Camera so I can see the tank while away

2nd Eheim auto feeder, I plan on running both.

I decided against the Trident. I don’t want to be adjusting ALK without double checking with the Hanna. Plus I’ve been pretty stable at 8.5 lately.

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mine browned out/got very dark. But my nutrients are high and I have it in low light. I think I’m going to move it up today.
I recently got the 2 Qaunta pro led bars to supplement my kessils A360X. Currently running 1 bar until Luca send me the replacement ballast for the 2nd one. Everything I got last week are doing GREAT.

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Getting ready to open the new thread for the auction this week. Once open we will move the convo over to there..

we still have pending the reveal sticker prize for the 7 Lucky winners and the box unboxing gift card. Those will be revealed in July for the July sales thread.

Getting ready now for the fathers day pop up auctuon thread which will be posted this afternoon!

we will award gift cards to the 1st 5 people who post so get ready!

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got the 2 Qaunta pro led bars to supplement my kessils A360X. Currently running 1 bar until Luca send me the replacement ballast for the 2nd one. Everything I got last week are doing GREAT.
How much par do you think the Lock Jaw is getting?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back