Seahorses In Reef

calvo15290

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them. They are very personable fish. Not afraid of anything! I had one I caught in Galveston, TX on the sea wall in my peacock mantis tank. I gave it away when my mantis died. I've seen them snorkeling in the ocean too. They get huge!

IMG_0322.jpg

Mine is verry timid and I wanna try to get him a girl and his own tank one day you can sex them by the yellow

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a damsel. You can get them by the bucket loads in the tide pools here in TX.

A damsel might be a poor choice to keep with a seahorse; damsels have been known to kill fish bigger than them, and seahorses have basically no defense other than trying to look like weeds.

Chef.ryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Can't tell from the pic but my ponies live with plenty of other fish friends and corals and do just fine. They even out-compete the butterfly for mysis!

FinzAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up until recent my seahorses were in a reef tank. They out competed my clowns, dotty backs and gobies for frozen food. Although I had great success, I recently upgraded my seahorses to their private 75 gallon

Mr.Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohf with scolys,ducans, and a houdinni? Not to mention the fish selection. I wish you luck my friend,this just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did awesomely!! Until this happened...

I was a frequent poster here awhile back. I had what I imagine to be everyone's worst nightmare. I had a 130g system in a 700sqft loft. While out one night, I returned home to all 130g on the floor and in my neighbors lofts. All in all, not counting the coral, it totaled out at around 30k worth of damage.
I had to sleep next to 5 industrial dehumidifiers for a week running 24/7, as did my neighbors. I recently sold the loft and bought my first free standing structure. I've just setup a 92g corner reef... Seems I'm testing fate again. Here's one of the only photos I took night of the disaster. Took five guys on a Sunday night around 5hrs to drain it all
e8add9479db2a5f0dc3fa3f0c137e6c7.jpg
77eb3d6b09438f0d25b676310b8aeef1.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did awesomely!! Until this happened...

I was a frequent poster here awhile back. I had what I imagine to be everyone's worst nightmare. I had a 130g system in a 700sqft loft. While out one night, I returned home to all 130g on the floor and in my neighbors lofts. All in all, not counting the coral, it totaled out at around 30k worth of damage.
I had to sleep next to 5 industrial dehumidifiers for a week running 24/7, as did my neighbors. I recently sold the loft and bought my first free standing structure. I've just setup a 92g corner reef... Seems I'm testing fate again. Here's one of the only photos I took night of the disaster. Took five guys on a Sunday night around 5hrs to drain it all
e8add9479db2a5f0dc3fa3f0c137e6c7.jpg
77eb3d6b09438f0d25b676310b8aeef1.jpg
I am very sorry you went through that, its heart-breaking. The loss of aquarium life plus the investment, thats just terrible. Was it an aquarium failure?

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sorry you went through that, its heart-breaking. The loss of aquarium life plus the investment, thats just terrible. Was it an aquarium failure?

It was two failures. The sump cracked. I'm unsure why/how. And second, I had been "vacuuming" the sandbed and left a syphon running.

I had gone to see Book Of Mormon. After I left the play I saw that is missed a bunch of calls. I listen to the first voicemail, Managment alerting me that water was "gushing" into the loft below me. I rushed home and opened my door. I must've stood there for a good 3-5min. I didn't even know where to begin. When I finally stepped foot into the loft, I watched my footstep ripple all the way to the back of the loft. All power had shorted out. I added what saltwater I had into the empty tank. Of course, this was not helpful, but I just didn't know what to do lol. It was a Brutal experience, one I pray I'll never repeat. I'm "fine" with making mistakes that screw with my life, but I felt horrible for my poor neighbors. This is the moment I decided to sell my loft.
Some mistakes are so costly...

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm sorry the animals kept in my care went through it also [emoji57]

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time cut the main power before touching the water. That said, I'm really sorry to hear of this tragedy T.T I've woken up to all my fish dead before, and...it really hurts.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back