Selling trident for a profit - okay or not?

Are you ok with the trident being bought to flip above retail price?

• Yep! That's capitalism, baby!

Votes: 100 41.3%
  • Eh... whatever... doesn't matter to me...

Votes: 76 31.4%
  • Nope! The greed has gone over the top!

Votes: 66 27.3%

• Total voters

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were the only place that made brownies, spent years telling the brownie community about your revolutionary recipe, knew what the demand was, and then only had a few for sale, people may get upset with you. If you knew how many brownies you had on the way, when more would be available, but instead said nothing, it may lead to losing potential customers.

This is an old convo though, about the release.

Let’s keep it about the bitter people who don’t have a Tridents yet and/or hate capitalism.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone who is opposed to the reselling of Tridents have one yet? I'm curious how many are truly concerned for their fellow consumer, or how much of it is sour grapes.

danoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an Alkatronic for a little under a year and have no interest in the Trident. I'm just calling balls and strikes here.

Also capitalism doesn't require everybody to put maximizing profit over all other concerns. Being nice to your fellow hobbyist is still technically allowed.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an Alkatronic for a little under a year and have no interest in the Trident. I'm just calling balls and strikes here.

Also capitalism doesn't require everybody to put maximizing profit over all other concerns. Being nice to your fellow hobbyist is still technically allowed.
Being nice? Eww

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to know but how many units have been built, shipped, and sold to date.
Then I want to know how many of those were intentionally bought and sold for profit.
I bet its fifteen-hundred to one or more.
How many Triton adds were on R2R? 5, 10, 100, 1000?
How many on eBay, Craig's list, or other media? 5, 10, 100, 1000?
Lets say it was 100 combined, ok so 100 out of several thousand.

I don't have the energy to put the effort into it, but my point is still the same, its a very small margin, for one to get into such an uproar over. Yes? Ok I know its the principal of it all.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This world is full of people that have and those that have not.. ethics usually separates them. Same thing happens on many many other goods in this world.

DocPaulo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impossible to know but how many units have been built, shipped, and sold to date.
Then I want to know how many of those were intentionally bought and sold for profit.
I bet its fifteen-hundred to one or more.
How many Triton adds were on R2R? 5, 10, 100, 1000?
How many on eBay, Craig's list, or other media? 5, 10, 100, 1000?
Lets say it was 100 combined, ok so 100 out of several thousand.

I don't have the energy to put the effort into it, but my point is still the same, its a very small margin, for one to get into such an uproar over. Yes? Ok I know its the principal of it all.

I can tell that serial number jumped from 1700 for mine to 3300 in 3 weeks when i got replacement for defectiveunit. so prob 500 a week are getting shipped...

Btw mine went to canada... i included 4 mos extra reagent at below my cost...considering he cant even buy reagents up north...

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick Ebay search looks like less than 100 have been sold there since release, with well over 3000 being in the wild it seems like this isn't as big a deal as some would think.

DocPaulo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick Ebay search looks like less than 100 have been sold there since release, with well over 3000 being in the wild it seems like this isn't as big a deal as some would think.

True... people just want to feel righteous because only they could possibly be correct and others are just wrong.. applies to both sides of the argument

Had a guy call me names.. like i stole his lunch money and i knew for a fact he couldnt afford the msrp let alone the apex unit.. he just wanted to be righteous....

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this any different than Reefers selling frags for 300 plus.. Importantly,, what will be of interest is the life span of these units and any issues on the first run.

DocPaulo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this any different than Reefers selling frags for 300 plus.. Importantly,, what will be of interest is the life span of these units and any issues on the first run.
Exactly.. outrage over making a small profit.. but same folks fork over hundreds for a coral that cost probably 20$ to aquaculture or pay 100$ for a fish that is 20$ wholesale... doesn't matter that a business made the 500%markup.. markup is markup... just because you didnt know doesnt make it different...

Even MAP pricing is artificial price gouging... forcing product to be sold above what a retailer may want to sell it at, just to protect profits...

Where's the outrage there?

Its all about being righteous... just to say that one is superior to the next guy..

Last edited:

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it kinda funny. If someone is impatient enough and is willing to spend more than the unit sells for retail, just to get it NOW, I say go for it. The buyer knows the deal, it's their money. The flipper risks getting stuck with the unit if it doesn't sell (probably not a high amount of risk this early in the game). People do it with other products all the time.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this any different than Reefers selling frags for 300 plus..

I’d argue that it’s completely different - frags are not just flipped, at least not in most cases. Reefers must buy a colony, grow it out, frag it and then let the frags heal. We can debate the prices on some of them, but not the fact that there is effort on the part of the seller that creates value. Simply flipping a trident, or any other item with short term availability options creates no value that I can see. But if people wish to be foolish with their money, so be it. I got one through retail, so no skin off my nose.

DocPaulo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it kinda funny. If someone is impatient enough and is willing to spend more than the unit sells for retail, just to get it NOW, I say go for it. The buyer knows the deal, it's their money. The flipper risks getting stuck with the unit if it doesn't sell (probably not a high amount of risk this early in the game). People to it with other products all the time.
Yeah buying a car over msrp when it cimes out vs 12 mos later for 10k discount... or even buying aquarium equipment brand new vs buying 12mos used for a discount...
I’d argue that it’s completely different - frags are not just flipped, at least not in most cases. Reefers must buy a colony, grow it out, frag it and then let the frags heal. We can debate the prices on some of them, but not the fact that there is effort on the part of the seller that creates value. Simply flipping a trident, or any other item with short term availability options creates no value that I can see. But if people wish to be foolish with their money, so be it. I got one through retail, so no skin off my nose.

Actually took time out of my day to pack properly and ship that thing.. probably an hour to do all that including drive to FedEx... i make more money selling corals for less effort...

Only effort for corals is the 5 mins to snip and glue.. its a hobby so them growing is not work i do specifically for that frag i sold.. so I should give frags away for free then? I actually have... but thats besides the point

Nep2nRevision3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just curious (because I don't really have any personal interest in the product, just find the conversation amusing) what's the typical mark-up on a resold unit? If I couldn't make $100 each for investing my time, tying up my money and then repacking and shipping a unit I wouldn't bother. What would happen if I was sitting on 3-4 and tomorrow 10,000 of them hit the market? There is risk in being the flipper, risk carries value.

Since the matter of ethics has come into question, if I were to want to play this game and I found a retailer that had 10 available, would they sell me all 10? If so, who's ethics is in question then? Isn't the retailer technically a flipper?

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its simply supply and demand though, frags also become more expensive when they are sought after and not many are avalible.

Just like the trident issue.

Isn't the retailer technically a flipper?

All retailers are flippers its just most value their reputation enough to not scam someone into paying much more than the msrp.

Only effort for corals is the 5 mins to snip and glue.. its a hobby so them growing is not work i do specifically for that frag i sold.. so I should give frags away for free then? I actually have... but thats besides the point

Time equals money though, if they are sitting in your tank it's costing you electric, replacing supplements etc.
So it's actually to the point.

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just curious (because I don't really have any personal interest in the product, just find the conversation amusing) what's the typical mark-up on a resold unit? If I couldn't make $100 each for investing my time, tying up my money and then repacking and shipping a unit I wouldn't bother. What would happen if I was sitting on 3-4 and tomorrow 10,000 of them hit the market? There is risk in being the flipper, risk carries value.

Since the matter of ethics has come into question, if I were to want to play this game and I found a retailer that had 10 available, would they sell me all 10? If so, who's ethics is in question then? Isn't the retailer technically a flipper?

Markup at around 2x now. It started at 4-5x but has come down as more units are distributed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back