OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find anything on ammonia production for a clownfish. I know its going to be part food and part respiration but I am surprised there have been no studies on bioload and ammonia for common aquarium fish.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - but take into account the fact (as I reported in another thread) - the Seneye - is not great as ammonia concentrations increase far above what would be seen in a 'normal tank' - i.e. as ammonia (total) - increases - the accuracy can decline.

I asked a question - based on another experiment done here on R2R - if you took a tank put 8 PPM ammonia (total) - at pH 8.6 - could that cause abnormal/incorrect readings - here was there response:

"The seneye would read correctly on all parameters except NH3 which could be over-exposed. It would be over the NH3 read limit. A high level of prolonged exposure would make it hard for the slide to work well after. "

My bold in the quote
I am revisiting “does Prime detoxify ammonia”. I am working with three colorimetric ammonia sensing films: Seachem Alert, Seneye and Pacific Sentry. I am in the midst of studying the Seachem Alert film. Here are some potentially useful observations and ideas about the Seachem Alert film that might apply to the Seneye ammonia sensing film.

The Alert response time, how long it takes to change color, is much faster than the recovery time, the time it takes to lose color when ammonia is removed. Minutes to respond, hours to recover. In a previous study of Seneye, the response time is just as fast but recovery time is much faster.

In the current study I learned what it takes to permanently color the Alert film, that is, produce a film with an infinite recovery time. High concentrations of ammonia or prolonged exposure to low levels of ammonia will ruin the film. I believe this phenomenon is what is happening with the Seneye film with exposure to high concentrations of ammonia. When I study the Seneye film, I will take a close look at recovery time.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find anything on ammonia production for a clownfish. I know its going to be part food and part respiration but I am surprised there have been no studies on bioload and ammonia for common aquarium fish.
Can't wait to get into this with you guys!
Surprisingly. I was able to stock 2 small clowns <2", 1x >2"tomini and 1 >3" powder brown with just a few small feedings of around .006-.009 Seneye Nh3. After 24 hrs of processing Nh3 back to 0 fish where added. Never seen a disruption in Nh3 processing cycle. Granted I used cured ocean rock from system that already housed the bioload.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe @Lasse has that data

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am revisiting “does Prime detoxify ammonia”. I am working with three colorimetric ammonia sensing films: Seachem Alert, Seneye and Pacific Sentry. I am in the midst of studying the Seachem Alert film. Here are some potentially useful observations and ideas about the Seachem Alert film that might apply to the Seneye ammonia sensing film.

The Alert response time, how long it takes to change color, is much faster than the recovery time, the time it takes to lose color when ammonia is removed. Minutes to respond, hours to recover. In a previous study of Seneye, the response time is just as fast but recovery time is much faster.

In the current study I learned what it takes to permanently color the Alert film, that is, produce a film with an infinite recovery time. High concentrations of ammonia or prolonged exposure to low levels of ammonia will ruin the film. I believe this phenomenon is what is happening with the Seneye film with exposure to high concentrations of ammonia. When I study the Seneye film, I will take a close look at recovery time.
Yes - I believe that this is what Seneye was referring to - and one of the reasons they say its affected by Prime.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I believe that this is what Seneye was referring to - and one of the reasons they say its affected by Prime.
I will be checking up on the notion that “Prime affects colorimetric films”. Too bad they were not more clear about the nature of the “effect”.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for looking into these things

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is it. Will wait to start to see if @Lasse has advice on ammonia from clown respiration/waste.

4 lb 2 oz of rock I placed in my sump about 3 months ago. I don't have a fuge right now as I have been battling hair algae and cyano is my display. Brushed it off lightly and into a 5 gallon bucket with SW at 1.024 and 78 degrees. Tomorrow I get my ammonia and will likely start dosing .125 ppm every 12 hours for 7-8 days (or more idk). I leave for vacation and before I leave I will bump it up to .32 ppm hourly and remotely monitor (my initial estimates for ammonia produced from 2 clowns in 2 hours vs 30x that). I suspect I might be over estimating the ammonia production but who knows.

If ammonia does not build after I return that I will remove 2 lbs of the rock and monitor for another 8 days.

Seem legit?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am too concerned that contamination occurred (such as by aerosols). Marine bacteria can't magically appear in a bucket. I also really think that if people are trying to be confident and truly scientific about their results they need to start using statistical analysis. There is a reason why statistics is used so heavily in the sciences. Project can be fun at home, but I think we need to interpret every result with extreme caution unless this step is achieved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am too concerned that contamination occurred (such as by aerosols). Marine bacteria can't magically appear in a bucket. I also really think that if people are trying to be confident and truly scientific about their results they need to start using statistical analysis. There is a reason why statistics is used so heavily in the sciences. Project can be fun at home, but I think we need to interpret every result with extreme caution unless this step is achieved.
While I 100% agree that statistical analysis is the best option it also requires an amount of experimental control that is outside of my knowledge base and capabilities. While I call this an experiment I should be calling it a trial or test. Experiments are only born out of a hypothesis derived from trials/tests/accidents. I am simply sharing my findings and others want to repeat it to confirm something then they will. At some point I will repeat the dry start experiment above and correct some experimental controls (container exposed to light, slide not sanatized, ect) but given that its not free to me and I don't see much value personally in repeating it I will continue to just state when I saw and allow people to pick holes at it as needed.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here is it. Will wait to start to see if @Lasse has advice on ammonia from clown respiration/waste.

4 lb 2 oz of rock I placed in my sump about 3 months ago. I don't have a fuge right now as I have been battling hair algae and cyano is my display. Brushed it off lightly and into a 5 gallon bucket with SW at 1.024 and 78 degrees. Tomorrow I get my ammonia and will likely start dosing .125 ppm every 12 hours for 7-8 days (or more idk). I leave for vacation and before I leave I will bump it up to .32 ppm hourly and remotely monitor (my initial estimates for ammonia produced from 2 clowns in 2 hours vs 30x that). I suspect I might be over estimating the ammonia production but who knows.

If ammonia does not build after I return that I will remove 2 lbs of the rock and monitor for another 8 days.

Seem legit?
What is your hypothesis? You also need to make sure pH - is at a constant level? Unless you're measuring N3-N. PS - How will you Mae sure you will does .125 ppm every 12 hours (i.e. how are you measuring that?). PPS - I believe - though I cannot find the reference - is that clowns do not produce anywhere near that level - depending on the size of the tank. For example - in a swimming pool - a clown would produce 0 ppm (measured total ammonia - in a glass jar it would be higher)

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone check my chicken scratch. Basically was calculating water volume and ammonia solution concentration.

Attachments

• RB 2021-11-16 21.20.59.pdf
    331.6 KB · Views: 45

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can anyone check my chicken scratch. Basically was calculating water volume and ammonia solution concentration.
LOL I checked it - I'm not sure its correct. What I would do - instead - is take water with a known (measured) ammonia concentration - and adding that to your rock. As compared to using 'drops', etc - to figure it out - but again - I do not know how you're doing the calculations - since a lot of your = signs are approximation signs:)

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your hypothesis? You also need to make sure pH - is at a constant level? Unless you're measuring N3-N. PS - How will you Mae sure you will does .125 ppm every 12 hours (i.e. how are you measuring that?). PPS - I believe - though I cannot find the reference - is that clowns do not produce anywhere near that level - depending on the size of the tank. For example - in a swimming pool - a clown would produce 0 ppm (measured total ammonia - in a glass jar it would be higher)
Seneye will catch NH3 and I will make a solution and dose through a calibrated doser controlled by reef-pi. A specific ammonia level isn’t as significant in this case as much as it is a reference point on bioload. If I can nail down a good starting dose for “2 clowns” then I should just be able to increase the dose 30 fold. I do predict that a bioload level would be reached

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I checked it - I'm not sure its correct. What I would do - instead - is take water with a known (measured) ammonia concentration - and adding that to your rock. As compared to using 'drops', etc - to figure it out - but again - I do not know how you're doing the calculations - since a lot of your = signs are approximation signs:)
Thats essentially what I was trying to do. Just trying to make a 500 ml solution where each mL is .125 ppm when dosed into 4 gallons. My brain is tired tonight

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this post by Lasse... Can anyone explain the whole if its frozen divide by 5?

"
If you start from scratch - complete new everything. No organic matter - nothing - total clean tank. The only ammonia source is the amount that will be excreted by the fish gills - there is no organic matters in the system that will be breakdown to ammonia of heterotrophic bacteria. There is a small ammonia excretion from the fish metabolism but it so small that we do not need to take that in calculation now (if you do not want to put in 100 fishes the same time). Where will the N bioload come from? It comes from the food - as i have say fifty eleven times now - between 1/2 an hour to 2-3 hours after feeding - around 60 - 70 % of the foods N content will be excreted as NH4 from the gills of the fish. (to be correct 80 % of the N is surplus - will not be fish biomass and 80 % of tis surplus will be excreted out from the gills (around) 0.8*0.8 = 0.64 = 64%) dry food content around 40 % protein (read on the package). Protein in general content 16 % N -> 1 g of dry food content 1*0,4*0.16 = 0.064 g N. Of this 64 % will be excreted - means that 0.064*0.64 = 0,038 g N will come out as NH4-N in the water -> 18/14*0.038 = 0.049 g or 49 mg NH4( N= 14; H= 1; NH4=18).

This means that around (at least in the right county) of every 1 g dry food with 40% protein you fish will excrete around 0.05 g (50 mg) NH4. In 10 liters - it will be 5 mg/l (ppm), in 100 L it will be 0.5 mg/L (ppm) and in 1000 L it will be 0.05 mg/L (ppm) total ammonia in worst case. If you use frozen natural food like adult brine shrimps - dive the figure with 5.
It means that 1 g frozen adult brine shrimp will contribute with 0,01 g (10 mg) - in 10 L -> 1 mg/L (ppm) - in 100 l -> 0,1 mg/L (ppm) NH4
A cube brine shrimp weight around 5 g - it means that it will give around 0.05g (50 mg) NH4. In 100 liters - it will be 0.5 mg/L (ppm)

This is a calculation that shows the ballpark. If you get fish the second day - feed very sparsely the first three weeks (after my 15 steps) and gradually rise it - you fine if you use addition of nitrification bacteria in one or another way - but you can see how little you should feed.

If you want to start totally fishless - add 0.01 mg/L NH4 (ammonia) every day (and rise it slowly till you come up to your calculated feeding the first time) for some weeks together with addition of nitrification bacteria of some type (bottled, soilfiltrate, used gravel, used filter or so.) If you also use a internal foam filter in the start - you will speed up the process.

If you want to feed with 1 cube frozen artemis when your fish arrive - you should prepare the aquarium to manage around 0.5 mg/L NH4 per day if your tank is 100L

This low ammonia concentrations is difficult to measure with our equipments - therefore in order to know if the nitrification cycle works - use nitrite measurements. It should show below 0.1 ppm NO2 - IMO. After the introduction rise your feeding slowly
"

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this post by Lasse... Can anyone explain the whole if its frozen divide by 5?

"
If you start from scratch - complete new everything. No organic matter - nothing - total clean tank. The only ammonia source is the amount that will be excreted by the fish gills - there is no organic matters in the system that will be breakdown to ammonia of heterotrophic bacteria. There is a small ammonia excretion from the fish metabolism but it so small that we do not need to take that in calculation now (if you do not want to put in 100 fishes the same time). Where will the N bioload come from? It comes from the food - as i have say fifty eleven times now - between 1/2 an hour to 2-3 hours after feeding - around 60 - 70 % of the foods N content will be excreted as NH4 from the gills of the fish. (to be correct 80 % of the N is surplus - will not be fish biomass and 80 % of tis surplus will be excreted out from the gills (around) 0.8*0.8 = 0.64 = 64%) dry food content around 40 % protein (read on the package). Protein in general content 16 % N -> 1 g of dry food content 1*0,4*0.16 = 0.064 g N. Of this 64 % will be excreted - means that 0.064*0.64 = 0,038 g N will come out as NH4-N in the water -> 18/14*0.038 = 0.049 g or 49 mg NH4( N= 14; H= 1; NH4=18).

This means that around (at least in the right county) of every 1 g dry food with 40% protein you fish will excrete around 0.05 g (50 mg) NH4. In 10 liters - it will be 5 mg/l (ppm), in 100 L it will be 0.5 mg/L (ppm) and in 1000 L it will be 0.05 mg/L (ppm) total ammonia in worst case. If you use frozen natural food like adult brine shrimps - dive the figure with 5.
It means that 1 g frozen adult brine shrimp will contribute with 0,01 g (10 mg) - in 10 L -> 1 mg/L (ppm) - in 100 l -> 0,1 mg/L (ppm) NH4
A cube brine shrimp weight around 5 g - it means that it will give around 0.05g (50 mg) NH4. In 100 liters - it will be 0.5 mg/L (ppm)

This is a calculation that shows the ballpark. If you get fish the second day - feed very sparsely the first three weeks (after my 15 steps) and gradually rise it - you fine if you use addition of nitrification bacteria in one or another way - but you can see how little you should feed.

If you want to start totally fishless - add 0.01 mg/L NH4 (ammonia) every day (and rise it slowly till you come up to your calculated feeding the first time) for some weeks together with addition of nitrification bacteria of some type (bottled, soilfiltrate, used gravel, used filter or so.) If you also use a internal foam filter in the start - you will speed up the process.

If you want to feed with 1 cube frozen artemis when your fish arrive - you should prepare the aquarium to manage around 0.5 mg/L NH4 per day if your tank is 100L

This low ammonia concentrations is difficult to measure with our equipments - therefore in order to know if the nitrification cycle works - use nitrite measurements. It should show below 0.1 ppm NO2 - IMO. After the introduction rise your feeding slowly
"
LOL. Not even going to try to unravel the math but as usual Lasse is likely correct :)

I just looked at the nutrition facts on my frozen brine shrimp and marine cuisine cubes. It tells you the percent crude protein. If the cube is 5 grams, multiply this by the percent crude protein. Multiply that number by 0.16 to get the amount of nitrogen in that much protein. Multiply that number by 17/14 to get the mass of ammonia from that much protein. You can multiply that by .8 or .9 to get the amount of NH3 excreted or just skip this final refinement. This number of mg of ammonia is divided by the total volume in your system in liters to give you a ppm amount of ammonia imported by the food.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. Not even going to try to unravel the math but as usual Lasse is likely correct :)

I just looked at the nutrition facts on my frozen brine shrimp and marine cuisine cubes. It tells you the percent crude protein. If the cube is 5 grams, multiply this by the percent crude protein. Multiply that number by 0.16 to get the amount of nitrogen in that much protein. Multiply that number by 17/14 to get the mass of ammonia from that much protein. You can multiply that by .8 or .9 to get the amount of NH3 excreted or just skip this final refinement. This number of mg of ammonia is divided by the total volume in your system in liters to give you a ppm amount of ammonia imported by the food.
Yeah I followed the original math (though Lasse used 64% excreted) just wasnt sure what the caveat was for when you use dry vs frozen... Do you ignore Dry Protein?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I followed the original math (though Lasse used 64% excreted) just wasnt sure what the caveat was for when you use dry vs frozen... Do you ignore Dry Protein?
For fish flakes, the percent protein is probably a dry weight, a big number like 50%, while for the frozen cubes itis a small number like 2% because of the high water content. It is a matter of what you are tossing into the aquarium. Five grams of dry food imports much more nitrogen than five grams of frozen food.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"

"
You found it :p

As Dan point out - the protein content in dry food is just calculated on dry weight. In Frozen natural and living food you must take with the water. The divide with 5 comes from old knowledge that you need to feed with 5 to 7 times more frozen/living natural food (grams of) in order to get the same growth compared with feeding with dry food

If the percent crude protein is given - that´s the easiest way of calculate it directly as Dan has done it here. My two 80 % is first to take away the amount that will be bound in the fish as biomass and the next 80 % is in order to take away the amount that´s not directly excreted =.8*0.8 = 0.64 -> 64 % excreted, If you read in books or internet that artemia content x % on dry weight - it is not the same as x % on wet weight. If you know the water content of artemia you can calculate the wet percent. If protein is 40 % on dry weight - water content is 80 % - you will have my 5 division.

Sincerely Lasse

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back