Apparently its missing a door..

Making RODI at the moment.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking fantastic Shin, nice job on matching the stand with the fixture.

I remember your last sps dominated like it was yesterday. Going with sand this time?

Looking forward to what you do with the Tonga branch, I know it will be beautiful.

What fish are you thinking about?

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking fantastic Shin, nice job on matching the stand with the fixture.

I remember your last sps dominated like it was yesterday. Going with sand this time?

Looking forward to what you do with the Tonga branch, I know it will be beautiful.

What fish are you thinking about?

Hi Cheryl, thanks for coming over :p

I will try to replicate the last build, almost exclusively SPS, rather high end..ish. It will have regular sandbed.

So far, I'm only using tongas. The reasoning behind it is that i wont need height, so i can place them more evenly. oh! I found Ice Stag colony at a semi-LFS that I got my tank from!

As far as the fish goes, same ol' clowns with rose BTA, a tang (desjardini sailfin), more than a few chromis, and of course wrasses.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand is that tank? Those are my ideal dimensions. I couldn't find one locally so I settled on the Deep Blue 80 gallon rimless (48x24x16). Really would love those extra 2".

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand is that tank? Those are my ideal dimensions. I couldn't find one locally so I settled on the Deep Blue 80 gallon rimless (48x24x16). Really would love those extra 2".
I really don't know the brand, since its custom.. I did look at the Deep Blur 80G, but I wanted to go coast 2 coast overflow. The thing is when i was getting a quote for this tank, 16" or 18" woudnt make a difference, since its all the same cuts. And to be honest, I'm glad i went with 18" height.

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here are some pics of wrapping the stand with Formica (i used Wilsonart laminate sheet for counter top, ordered from Homedepot)

Use contact cement on both stand and the laminate, then carefully place it. Put some weight on it then cut it using a router;

DSC_4037.jpg

Making a lot of mess in a living room..
DSC_4038.jpg

DSC_4039.jpg

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

audikers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to learn everything possible in a short time right now, so I am just watching and learning! These builds help me see what goes into building a NICE tank. When we finally upgrade to a bigger tank, I want to do it from the ground up the right way! :) I cant WAIT to see how yours turns out!!

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to learn everything possible in a short time right now, so I am just watching and learning! These builds help me see what goes into building a NICE tank. When we finally upgrade to a bigger tank, I want to do it from the ground up the right way! :) I cant WAIT to see how yours turns out!!

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated. Glad to be of help at the same time!

Meanwhile, the sand dust is calming a bit. I used dry sand from MarcoRocks, who i recommend to anyone, with Nature's Ocean Live Sand to seed.

DSC_4054.jpg

The scape is temporary, but Im liking the tongas!

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned older MP40w and MP40 ES before (and they were loud). I bought an MP40 QD from the good experiences in the past, despite the noise of former model. Now I installed the brand new MP40 QD on this tank a few days ago and it was loud. I used the correct spacer for this glass thickness (12mm), tweaked the wet side numerous times, but it was still loud. So I contacted Ecotech asking about the noise and I heard back right away saying below:
Please keep in mind all VorTechs have a 2 week break in period. To properly break in your VorTech, start the pump in constant mode at it's lowest speed. Gradually increase the speed over the course of 2 weeks.

So im following the direction from the CS rep, and so far its gotten quiet. I mean its dead silent. Im so glad I went with VorTech.
DSC_4053.jpg

OP
OP
exactlyobp

exactlyobp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prodibio BioDigest is delivered.
DSC_4056.jpg

Dosed one vial out of this thing.
DSC_4058.jpg

Filtersocks came too, hopefully help with cloudiness sooner than later.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back