OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is filling the area before the filter socks with live rock a bad idea?

I definitely would not. It will catch detritus and other solids in the rock... thus allowing them to break down into nitrates. That's the purpose of the filter socks... to catch the solids and change out the socks before it breaks down. I change my socks twice/week. Beyond that, the chamber is so small that there would be no benefit of adding that little of live rock.

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would not. It will catch detritus and other solids in the rock... thus allowing them to break down into nitrates. That's the purpose of the filter socks... to catch the solids and change out the socks before it breaks down. I change my socks twice/week. Beyond that, the chamber is so small that there would be no benefit of adding that little of live rock.
That's is what I thought. Thanks for the response

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who here don't run filter socks at all? I'm tired of cleaning filter socks every other day.

I simply have a dozen on hand at all times. I have two acrylic bins, on a shelf, in my laundry room... one for clean socks and the other for dirty socks. I change my socks about every 3 days or so. Once I get 10 dirty socks, then I throw them in the wash cycle. It's about as easy as it can get... and my tank is always crystal clear. Those socks will last about 6 months.

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who here don't run filter socks at all? I'm tired of cleaning filter socks every other day.
I can relate. Wanted to try and make something (saw someone on here that made one) that was like a bucket that fit into the sock holder and they just put polyfill or filter pad in it.

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I simply have a dozen on hand at all times. I have two acrylic bins, on a shelf, in my laundry room... one for clean socks and the other for dirty socks. I change my socks about every 3 days or so. Once I get 10 dirty socks, then I throw them in the wash cycle. It's about as easy as it can get... and my tank is always crystal clear. Those socks will last about 6 months.
Which socks do you use? I have the stock ones and there's tons of gunk in my sump.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which socks do you use? I have the stock ones and there's tons of gunk in my sump.

I use the 200 felt ones from Premium Aquatics. I just checked my last order of them and it was back on 6/15/16... and they are still in good shape!

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the stock mesh filter socks and clean them out every 3-4 days. I just upped my count to 6 the other day, but I'll likely throw my two oldest out soon. I just rinse them out (rubbing then against themselves under a bit of running water) when I pull them out and hang them above the garage sink to dry. Putting them in the laundry sounds like a dream, but I'm pretty sure that doing so would get me in trouble... "But we put baby diapers in there?!?" is unlikely to win me the discussion...
I do all this at the same time as I clean out my skimmer cup, so it's not like I'm not already getting my hands wet/dirty anyways.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 12 felt and 12 mesh socks. I find that I prefer the felt for collecting more stuff, but the mesh are easier to clean. Mesh ones in warmer weather I just use garden hose to spray them off, kitchen sink now that it's cold out. The felt ones I throw in the wash machine with some bleach. I just switch between whatever I have sitting here clean and ready to go. Once my fallow period is over, I may just stick with the felt ones. Either way sump still needs the shop vac every so often to keep it clean.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do prety much the same. about a dozen on hand. swap them out twice per week and wask them all once a month or so. The BRS socks don't hold up as well as the Red sea or premium aquatics ones. Havent tried Vertex yet as nobody ever seems to have the 4"

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that @Broadfield is not running the stock Red Sea sump. Beneath his lovely tank is an equally wondrous sump - not to mention the control area fit for a DJ's table... ;-)
The stock Red Sea sump won't accept off-brand 4" socks, sadly. A clear play to capture business, but there it is. There are DIY mods that have been done to convert the trays to accept standard 4" socks out there...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.1%
Back