AlexDm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does everyone buy all the fancy plumbing pipes and valves ??

rroselavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • BRS for the colored pipe
  • Aquarium Specialty and Amazon for the colored fittings
  • PVCFittingsOnline.com for the schedule 80 adapters, true unions, gate valves and ball valve

Broadfield mentions his plumbing sources several times in this thread. Here is the last mention from two pages back.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those fancy Furniture Grade plumbing seawater resistant ? just to be sure o_O

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my XL425. Only three days into the cycle. Have to get back in there and tweak the aquascape a bit once my frustration subsides. Assembling rocks on the basement floor--easy; getting the scape to look the same in the tank--impossible :confused:. I also have to raise the Kessil a little.

Or get some additional lights for the ends?

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried this and I don't know if it's the NYC air with all the people living here but the media still exhausts after about 2 days.
Just want to update this a little.

I thought I connected the C02 scrubber to my skimmer and then ran a line from the scrubber to outside. Turns out it was only by the window.

I switched it up a couple of days ago and now it looks like I'll get a week or so based on the media consumption for the last 2 days.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to update this a little.

I thought I connected the C02 scrubber to my skimmer and then ran a line from the scrubber to outside. Turns out it was only by the window.

I switched it up a couple of days ago and now it looks like I'll get a week or so based on the media consumption for the last 2 days.

I'm still trying to gauge how long mine will last. Once it turns purple it goes back to white again, it is still helping after 4 days, but not quite as much as it was the first 2 days. Once this canister is completely exhausted, going to refill it, double check all my connections and everything is solid and see how long the refill lasts.

Also changed the way I had my outside line today. I have a brass downpipe that I had loosely put filter floss into to keep bugs out. Instead I bought some compression nuts and some pipe screens (the kind you get from head shops/tobacco shops.) That screen fit nicely into the compression nut and then I put that on the end of the pipe and remove the filter floss. That should alleviate any bug issues and shouldn't restrict air flow.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curse my gorilla strength arms. The return and siphon stand pipes cracked and is keeping me from finishing the tank. On the plus side, I was able to get all the plumbing painted lol.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed the CO2 scrubber soda lime today. Lasted 4.5 days on an outside air line, not very cost effective. I loaded it up again today, made sure all connections are tight and see how long it lasts this time. Not sure if the BRS stuff would last longer, but would need to last over twice as long to make up the cost difference. Still not sure it would be cost effective. The higher constant pH has upped my alk usage and I definitely see some new growth on a few frags.

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curse my gorilla strength arms. The return and siphon stand pipes cracked and is keeping me from finishing the tank. On the plus side, I was able to get all the plumbing painted lol.

When you're tightening them, only tighten them from the underneath. If you twist the top pipes, they'll crack in a heartbeat. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had a whole lot of time to dedicate to my tank recently:(, but heres a picture of my mostly empty tank containing my Blue Hippo and a small CUC (that can't even be seen lol). Hopefully I'll have more interesting stuff to share soon :)

Tank 1:22:17.jpg

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had a whole lot of time to dedicate to my tank recently:(, but heres a picture of my mostly empty tank containing my Blue Hippo and a small CUC (that can't even be seen lol). Hopefully I'll have more interesting stuff to share soon :)

Tank 1:22:17.jpg

I like the scape... looks really good!

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you're tightening them, only tighten them from the underneath. If you twist the top pipes, they'll crack in a heartbeat. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Lol I was, that's how I was getting that extra leverage. I tightened to make sure it would not leak....it leaked lol

I just hope I can get this done this week. I need to be finished with this tank already

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I was, that's how I was getting that extra leverage. I tightened to make sure it would not leak....it leaked lol

I just hope I can get this done this week. I need to be finished with this tank already
It took about 2 weeks to get the part from Red Sea. They accidentally sent me the wrong one the first time. They were very friendly though.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took about 2 weeks to get the part from Red Sea. They accidentally sent me the wrong one the first time. They were very friendly though.
Did they ship it out from Houston? I can't remember where their warehouse is. I'd drive down there and pick up if so. Only a three and a half hour drive.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this @Broadfield - I came here tonight to ask you how you replaced the primary drain assembly. I'll leave the emergency alone for now. Mine has started to give some issues. I have to tune it every day now.

Can you take a minute to make sure I'm ordering the correct stuff - all from PVCfittingsonline.com

• 1" gate valve
  • 1" grey PVC
  • 3/4" MPT x 1" slip.
Is there anything I'm missing?

red_sea_assembly.jpg

@Broadfield just realized I bought the wrong size for the main drain line... everything I ended up getting is 3/4" (gate valve, pvc and 3/4" MPT x 3/4" slip).

Is this going to be a problem with 3/4" on main drain line?

drain.jpeg

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield just realized I bought the wrong size for the main drain line... everything I ended up getting is 3/4" (gate valve, pvc and 3/4" MPT x 3/4" slip).

Is this going to be a problem with 3/4" on main drain line?

Nope, not a problem at all. The only reason I did it is because I simply wanted it to match, cosmetically, the 1" piping for my return/manifold.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not a problem at all. The only reason I did it is because I simply wanted it to match, cosmetically, the 1" piping for my return/manifold.

Ok. I wasn't sure if it would mess with flow since the factory one is a 1" drain line.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I wasn't sure if it would mess with flow since the factory one is a 1" drain line.

I honestly think you will be fine. What pump are you using and how much flow do you want through your sump?

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think you will be fine. What pump are you using and how much flow do you want through your sump?

I just bought a Jabeo dct-12000, I have no clue at this point how much flow is needed.

I have 2 aquamaxx reactors that I'm adding and will have an extra line.

By the way... how the heck did you get the fittings off of the top of reactorsupraspinatus? Those things are cemented on.

I can order the 1" fittings for main drain if needed. Just have to wait another few days for parts to come in.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back