Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you're tightening them, only tighten them from the underneath. If you twist the top pipes, they'll crack in a heartbeat. I learned this lesson the hard way.
Unfortunately all the install videos show people tightening from above. Mine didn't crack, but after I perused the manual I saw that it says to tighten from below. It is a lot easier from the bottom. I was able to secure them better without the fear of breaking them.

Ishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does a gate valve keep the system more consistently balanced than the standard red sea valve?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does a gate valve keep the system more consistently balanced than the standard red sea valve?

I didn't have much issue with the Red Sea valve... ran it for about a year. But the gate valve is absolutely flawless on my setup.

Sagecritter4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im Having a fairly difficult time getting return pump and red sea drain valve on E-260 to settle in. Been almost 8 days chaseing it lol only thing I can come up with is either the DC e-flux 6011 pump is changing flow throughout the day or the fact that sump is in basement 10ft below with several elbows in the one inch drain plumbing between causing issues and maybe should be using a gate valve right above the sump instead where not using in cabinet sump...seriously aggravating...chuckle

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers,
A lot of you are using the ecotech vectra m1/l1 in your system. I think mine is loud. As measured by an uncalibrated iPhone SPL meter I measure 50db, z weighted with the doors closed. The tone is very annoying.
I don't have a point of comparison. My last tank was 15+ years ago and I used external pumps. I would be interested in others experience with these pumps and competing pumps such as the Reef Octopus Varios. I am tempted to chuck it in the trash(store it for a backup).
Thanks

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers,
A lot of you are using the ecotech vectra m1/l1 in your system. I think mine is loud. As measured by an uncalibrated iPhone SPL meter I measure 50db, z weighted with the doors closed. The tone is very annoying.
I don't have a point of comparison. My last tank was 15+ years ago and I used external pumps. I would be interested in others experience with these pumps and competing pumps such as the Reef Octopus Varios. I am tempted to chuck it in the trash(store it for a backup).
Thanks

There has to be something wrong... my L1 is silent. I don't even run doors on my cabinet.

Reigun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Jabeo dct-12000, I have no clue at this point how much flow is needed.

I have 2 aquamaxx reactors that I'm adding and will have an extra line.

By the way... how the heck did you get the fittings off of the top of reactorsupraspinatus? Those things are cemented on.

I can order the 1" fittings for main drain if needed. Just have to wait another few days for parts to come in.

I run a DCS-12000 on my 350, plumbed to two AquaMaxx reactors and a chiller at 70% with 3/4" piping.

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers,
Thanks

Yeah something is not right here. I can't even tell mine is on by listening to it. To my ears it is absolutely silent.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think my pipes got shipped out today. Was going to head over to Houston to pick up but I'm sure we will be passing each other if I take off in an hour

Coach63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried drilling the original sump for the reefer? I would like to make an emergency drain if I could and put in a bulkhead towards the top running into a floor drain. I have seen people drill the water top off but not the sump. Thanks.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers,
Thanks
My Sicce Synchra Silent was very loud at first and someone said that's not right. I redid my plumbing and somehow it made it quieter. Then a few months later I redid my plumbing again and now it's dead silent. The fans on my lights are louder than my return pump. I'm not exactly sure how the change in plumbing made the difference.

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried drilling the original sump for the reefer? I would like to make an emergency drain if I could and put in a bulkhead towards the top running into a floor drain. I have seen people drill the water top off but not the sump. Thanks.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. As far as drilling goes, drilling the sump is the same as drilling the ATO container, just need a diamond drill bit.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally have it running! Just going through the test runs before I throw my stuff over. I need either a larger pump (I have the SP4 running right now, may try my SP6) so that I have enough pressure to run my skimmer too. The little sp4 doesn't have enough pressure for a venturi and manifold setup. Either that or I'll put the mag12 on.
IMAG4572.jpg

johnnyk731

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are replacing it. Kudos

Really hmm my m1 makes a slight hum I wonder if I should call and get a replacement. It seems you had a fast turn around on a replacement so you mind sharing how you had that happen so quickly.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally have it running! Just going through the test runs before I throw my stuff over. I need either a larger pump (I have the SP4 running right now, may try my SP6) so that I have enough pressure to run my skimmer too. The little sp4 doesn't have enough pressure for a venturi and manifold setup. Either that or I'll put the mag12 on.
IMAG4572.jpg

NICE!!!!!!!!!!! I am about to add a ATS to my system. Do you have more pictures and details? What is your ATS sitting on?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

ktownhero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 MP40 QDs on my Reefer 425xl... And man are they powerful. I run them at like 20% Reef Crest anti sync and it even looks like too much flow for my LPS at times.

Anyone else running 2 vortechs on the larger tanks? What is your favored settings and experience regarding flow?

Litfury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 MP40 QDs on my Reefer 425xl... And man are they powerful. I run them at like 20% Reef Crest anti sync and it even looks like too much flow for my LPS at times.

Anyone else running 2 vortechs on the larger tanks? What is your favored settings and experience regarding flow?

I have the same tank and same powerheads. Running exactly the same mode and power as yours. It does seem like a lot of flow. I have one on each end of tank.
I wish I could have used the mp10, it's silly it can't go on thicker glass. I feel the 40s are overkill and I could have gotten several mp10s and placed for some great flow patterns.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back