blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sucks you still aren't getting longer use than that, especially since you're bringing in outside air. I think I'm going to use what media I have left and then try running the line outside without the scrubber and see what kind of difference I get. Even with getting 2 weeks or so each time I really don't want to have another expense if I don't have to.

I did have one other question. How long is the run for your outside line and did you notice any loss of air coming in to the skimmer? If I take my line outside I'm going through the floor where my apex cable runs from under the house. If I leave it just hanging under the house it will only be a few feet long, but if I run it completely out from under the house it will have to be another 20 feet or so longer. Not sure if that extra added distance will cause any loss of air coming in or not. Do you think there would be any benefit to making it completely outside, or will it be fine if the line just stays under the house?

I didn't cut the tubing at all after I bought it so the whole run is 10 feet I believe, the tank is only a few feet away from the wall I went through. I know there are people on R2R that have run them way longer. Think a lot of them used larger tubing and then stepped it down with a barbed fitting closer to the skimmer. With mine only being 10 feet, I noticed no loss of air that I can tell. Pump is not working any harder according to my Apex showing the watts used on that outlet. I'm sure if it was measured somehow it might be a small loss, but definitely not affecting anything. I did consider when the weather gets warmer redoing it with larger tubing and then going down to this size tubing right before the skimmer or scrubber (if I keep using it.) If you are getting outside air from having it under the house that should be fine.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/skimmer-ph-bump.248348/
That is where I got the idea for how I did mine outside, just added the compression nut and screen to the down tube. His tubing run was pretty long.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the way I understand it, Kessil does have RED and Green - You need those to create "whiter" light. It's just that you can't adjust the individual colors. You go from blue to white and Kessil

Looks good, I loved my AP700, it's just the issues with the software at the time that made me switch to Radion G4 pros when I needed a 2nd unit. I waited a year after the units were released and couldn't wait any longer.
Kessel AP700s have adjustable sliders for red and green. Didn't at launch but has for a while. Just like Radeon, just better :)

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer 450 is in my living room with a ATI T5 fixture hanging over it. Has anyone made a canopy to help with the light that spills out into the room? Good or bad idea placing a canopy directly on the aquarium? I'm thinking its not a good idea. ??

Reigun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that have the ReefDreams baffle kit for the Reefer 350. What dimensions are left for the skimmer section?

Just received mines about a week ago. The skimmer section has 7.25" from back to front.

Not sure if I installed it correctly but the water is pushed to the back portion of the sump which causes a loud waterfall into bubble trap. Had to remove the bottom portion of the horizontal divider so water flows evenly to the next chamber.

IMG_4823.JPG

Reigun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 5g bucket worth of c02 scrubbers a few years ago. I still have some left today. I forgot where I got it but I know it was less than $100.

Btw, what do you guys think of a Nyos 120 for a reefer 350?

I was thinking of going between the nyos or reef octopus 150-s

The Nyos 120 is great. Mines is skimming some nasty stuff out. I have my bio pellet outlet into the intake of the skimmer. Only drawback is the cup doesn't have a drain and I would have to say this is the loudest equipment in my whole setup.

IMG_4698.JPG

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just received mines about a week ago. The skimmer section has 7.25" from back to front.

Not sure if I installed it correctly but the water is pushed to the back portion of the sump which causes a loud waterfall into bubble trap. Had to remove the bottom portion of the horizontal divider so water flows evenly to the next chamber.

IMG_4823.JPG
How much did you pay along with delivery to the US?

I was thinking of adding some miracle mud and adding a refugium or place to catch and process detritus I'm tired of changing filter socks.

I just checked and my skimmer is 7.4 inches. It won't fit. Is the section adjustable?

Chad_2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer 450 is in my living room with a ATI T5 fixture hanging over it. Has anyone made a canopy to help with the light that spills out into the room? Good or bad idea placing a canopy directly on the aquarium? I'm thinking its not a good idea. ??

I made a open top canopy for my 350 because the wife complained about the light spillage in the living room while sitting on the couch (it was a bit annoying). So I cut up an old DVD rack which was about 8" wide to make up that space. I need to make another one properly without all the shelf holes because I fear overtime water will enter and damage it. Good idea or not the wife is happy so reefing continues! ;)

2C2F5297-6FC9-4FF1-A876-9D511A5363D9_zpsxkgktxtb.jpg

C5F5358B-C9F6-4908-9301-FA951A16E261_zps0a8qvmpy.jpg

1A5A5428-DAFB-401A-BB5C-4D107353B5BB_zpsjtbnh8r7.jpg

Reigun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did you pay along with delivery to the US?

I was thinking of adding some miracle mud and adding a refugium or place to catch and process detritus I'm tired of changing filter socks.

I just checked and my skimmer is 7.4 inches. It won't fit. Is the section adjustable?

Think it was around 115 after tax and shipping. It comes with two arms that hangs ontop the baffle. There is also a piece that goes under the arm to go over the baffle --- I removed this piece, think I have too much water going/cycling back into the sump. I used the shorter arm, so 7.25" is the max for the back chamber.

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't cut the tubing at all after I bought it so the whole run is 10 feet I believe, the tank is only a few feet away from the wall I went through. I know there are people on R2R that have run them way longer. Think a lot of them used larger tubing and then stepped it down with a barbed fitting closer to the skimmer. With mine only being 10 feet, I noticed no loss of air that I can tell. Pump is not working any harder according to my Apex showing the watts used on that outlet. I'm sure if it was measured somehow it might be a small loss, but definitely not affecting anything. I did consider when the weather gets warmer redoing it with larger tubing and then going down to this size tubing right before the skimmer or scrubber (if I keep using it.) If you are getting outside air from having it under the house that should be fine.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/skimmer-ph-bump.248348/
That is where I got the idea for how I did mine outside, just added the compression nut and screen to the down tube. His tubing run was pretty long.

Cool thanks for the link! I think I'm just going to run mine through the floor and let it hang underneath the house. That way it's a pretty short run and also that keeps it out the weather and yard where I spray chemicals from time to time. Hopefully just the fresh air will do about the same as the CO2 scrubber has and I won't have to keep buying the media for it.

Sharkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chad does your home made canopy just rest on the glass? And it stays put? You just gave me some ideas... Thank you...

Chad_2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chad does your home made canopy just rest on the glass? And it stays put? You just gave me some ideas... Thank you...

It has about a 3/16" gap from my light mounts on either side and I have the screen protector clips keeping it level and spaced the same. It is tight due to the way the light mounts to the tank. I can get some more pictures of that if you are interested.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nyos 120 is great. Mines is skimming some nasty stuff out. I have my bio pellet outlet into the intake of the skimmer. Only drawback is the cup doesn't have a drain and I would have to say this is the loudest equipment in my whole setup.

IMG_4698.JPG

The Nyos is loud? That's new.

I got my 160 in a few days ago. Upon putting it together, I broke the rod holding the bubble plate!!! Luckily, I have weld-on. I glued it back and it's like new. But for the price, I expected something that could take a little man handling.:(

Reigun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got my 160 in a few days ago. Upon putting it together, I broke the rod holding the bubble plate!!! Luckily, I have weld-on. I glued it back and it's like new. But for the price, I expected something that could take a little man handling.:(

The noise is louder than all my other pumps but not annoying loud. I think the noise is mostly coming from the cover. Sometimes it vibrates more than usual and I would have to rotate it to stop the noise. Still the best skimmer I've had.

Reigun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where'd you get the lamp holder?

Beautiful setup by the way.

Thanks! Got the lamp holder from BRS and the LED bulb from Amazon. BRS just recently stocked it a while back.

@Reigun what return pump are you running?

I'm running a Jebao DCS-12000 at 70%. Great pump for the price if you don't mind the noise.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The noise is louder than all my other pumps but not annoying loud. I think the noise is mostly coming from the cover. Sometimes it vibrates more than usual and I would have to rotate it to stop the noise. Still the best skimmer I've had.

I was going to say the same thing. I use to own a 120 and currently own a 160.... I can't even tell they are on! They are on the verge of dead silent.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your cleanup crews? Especially the 450 crews.

Species and quantity.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your cleanup crews? Especially the 450 crews.

Species and quantity.

Personally, I don't like cleanup crews. So I don't have any, aside from two random snails. The crabs knock over corals, the snails knock over corals, the crabs climb over corals, I've seen the crabs eat at my acans etc. And back when I had hair algae, bubble algae etc, during the natural cycle of a new reef tank, those critters didn't seem to touch any of it anyway. My tank remains absolutely spotless without them.

End Tank by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back