OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be ok the mini is a great skimmer but its not a huge monster.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NA7 looks to be pretty well balanced from the specs. I think it will run well and be good for tanks up to about 75g well stocked. 90 to 100g medium to light stock.

I would try to get it from a retailer in the states like marinesolutionsinc.com as getting one shipped from china will run a higher risk of having some damage

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo, I feel like I need to send you some money for all the questions Ive asked you. I really appreciate your expertice and assistants.

So for you have suggested the MiniS, Sump Buddy 40, and have given good feed back on the NA7 and I am interested in the Eshopps s-150.

Personally the SWC brand seems popular, but doesn't get the best reviews from those I know that own it. SB 40 just confuses me and doesn't make sence to me. I like the price of the NA7, who wouldn't, and you seem to think it is well balanced. The S-150 seems like great bang for the buck with disassembly for cleaning and ease of use. CS200 sounds like it would be too big and wouldn't like the depth I have in my sump.

If it was your tank and your money with the issues I have PMed you which would be your first pick and why?

I ask just because I am getting really confused now, not your fault just reading so much is making the decision process that much more difficult. And I don't want to buy a third skimmer because the first wasn't well enough thought out and the second was a mistake. Hopefully you get my point.

Again thanks for the help!

Clioman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo, my wife and I are getting back into corals after a five-year period of frequent moves, etc. We've just set up an Oceanic Systems 29-gal. nanotank. Oceanic offers a biocube skimmer as an option, but we'd like your advice...is there something better?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 29g Biocubes are great little tanks. I have owned one myself.

I have tried the Biocube skimmer and well it does work but honestly you are better off not using one and just doing small water changes.

The only skimmer that I would suggest over time would be the tunze 9002 and you have to make a few small mods to make it work. This would replace all the filter bioballs in the middle chamber.
On a side note do not cut the baffle going into the middle chamber as it does not increase flow. The pump pumps the same amount of water wether or not the baffle is cut or not. Just hate for you to start wacking on a perfectly good piece of equipment.

Enjoy.

ms.kilowatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer

So Mojo we sure seem to be up on your skimmers. We just purchased a 150 gallon RR Tank. What skimmer do you suggest? We have been directe toward a octo160. Any insite or help would be great!:neutral:

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unless you are really short on space I would look at something else. depends on your stock level and budget.

ATB 840 1.5
Vertex in 180 or 280
Super reef octo
THE msx and octo extremes are the same except the msx ones have a better pinwheel and service. The msx 200 is better than the 160. same pump but a 8 inch body and more stable.
The Warner MArine AS 200 or k2 would also work well.

Hope that helps some.

braddo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(mojo)
I was debating between an MSX 160 and the IN-100 for my 50 gallon tank. I picked up the IN-100 because I turn off my skimmer daily and didnt want to deal with reverse startup problems. However I feel like the pump on the IN-100 could use a little more oomph. The Resun pump that comes with the IN-100 is rated at 420lph air draw. The very similar RC135 that comes with the Sedra 5000 claims to come in at 720lph. This puts the Tunze 9410 you just reviewed in the same air draw class as the Sedra 5000. What are your thoughts on plugging a 9410 into an IN-100?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is the price of the pump. ITs not cheap but it is quiet and would supercarge that skimmer. However I dont know if it will handle the added flow and air. what water level are you running the skimmer at. Might have to run it a little lower with the tunze pump.

braddo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally I had the skimmer running in abour 7" of water, I wasn't happy with the output so I tried dropping it down to 9" there wasn't much change in output.

I have to keep the wedge pipe almost closed and the bubble break is set about 2-3 inches from the top of the neck just get any skimmate.

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
confused

I am currently running a Coralife Super Skimmer 125 it does work and is quiet but with the fish load I have I know I can pull more JUNGLE JUICE. I have 13 fish 3 of them being large hungry Tangs in a 110 tall with a 30 gallon sump. My Nitrates are always running at least 40 but more than not around 80 due to my feeding..... I am hoping a good skimmer will help I know it wont fix them but my LPS and Sebae dont seam to mind....

I am looking at the following
Super Reef Octopus XP 2000
Vertex in 180 nice price point
MSX200 does it come with a pump

So it looks as if my price point is 400.00 am I missing one that might be better?

fishytyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mojo,

I was wondering if you can provide any information regarding the atb airstar 1500 pump. I was checking out their new skimmer and i do like what i see. and do you know if it will be as quiet as a RD pump? i had a BK 180 before and i love the power wattage and the quietness.

thanks!

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a Coralife Super Skimmer 125 it does work and is quiet but with the fish load I have I know I can pull more JUNGLE JUICE. I have 13 fish 3 of them being large hungry Tangs in a 110 tall with a 30 gallon sump. My Nitrates are always running at least 40 but more than not around 80 due to my feeding..... I am hoping a good skimmer will help I know it wont fix them but my LPS and Sebae dont seam to mind....

I am looking at the following
Super Reef Octopus XP 2000
Vertex in 180 nice price point
MSX200 does it come with a pump

So it looks as if my price point is 400.00 am I missing one that might be better?

If you have a low sump water level like 6 inches the Octo xp2000 would be a good choice for the higher level like 7to8 in I would get the vertex in 180. its a nice unit as well.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mojo,

I was wondering if you can provide any information regarding the atb airstar 1500 pump. I was checking out their new skimmer and i do like what i see. and do you know if it will be as quiet as a RD pump? i had a BK 180 before and i love the power wattage and the quietness.

thanks!

The Red dragon and the Airstar or both a askoll 1500 motor block. The difference is the volute and pinwheel. Both are great pumps. So yes it will be as quiet. Great product.

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a low sump water level like 6 inches the Octo xp2000 would be a good choice for the higher level like 7to8 in I would get the vertex in 180. its a nice unit as well.

If you had choice is the Octo 120.00 better than the Vertex? with a ATO I can set my sump level to any level and not worry about it

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it looks like the ATB 840 1.5 is the winner.....Wow at the price good thing it is the last piece of equipment this year....

fishytyme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red dragon and the Airstar or both a askoll 1500 motor block. The difference is the volute and pinwheel. Both are great pumps. So yes it will be as quiet. Great product.

thank you for your answer, i will def look into it more. BTW what is your take on the new wave of cone skimmers? i might be in the market for a new skimmer cuz i am not sure if my wm as200 is enough for my 215. low bioload for now but moving towards a heavy load with SPS.

thanks for all your help and opinion!

Marc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo,
Great to see you here Thanks for sharing!

I have some design questions (may warrant a new thread but we'll start here)

I'm looking to mod/ upgrade an old skool ER 12-3+
The body is 36" to the neck (32" actual 12" chamber) skimmer is 42" overall

I'm looking for suggestions on pump size, flow thru rate etc...

Also considering cutting her open and adding a bubble plate/ ring

Total system volume will be ~700

any input would be much appreciated

Marc

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back