Skimmer Q&A Thread

reefgeek31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo in all your great knowledge would you run bubble blaster 5000 with extended neck or bb 3000 on a MSX 200? Thanks for your time and great knowledge.

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MOJO, I just ordered my 300 gallon display tank and now I need a skimmer...... 425 gallons total system volume (assumption) going to have 6 tangs and 6 angels and another planning on 20 fish but the tangs and angles will be the largest.

SPS dominated mixed reef feeding daily maybe twice sometimes, what would you recommend. Victor says they have a new ATB 1050A with a single Askoll pump did you get to play with that and is that my best for money....

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:smile:
MOJO, I just ordered my 300 gallon display tank and now I need a skimmer...... 425 gallons total system volume (assumption) going to have 6 tangs and 6 angels and another planning on 20 fish but the tangs and angles will be the largest.

SPS dominated mixed reef feeding daily maybe twice sometimes, what would you recommend. Victor says they have a new ATB 1050A with a single Askoll pump did you get to play with that and is that my best for money....
pure craftsmanship rite there man!!!!that skimmer rocks you will not be dissapointed....i'm sure everyone that owns one will back it!!!!

reefgeek31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a holding pattern waiting to make this change and I would like to do the bb 5000 but I just don't know if the body can handle it. If anyone has experiance or just knows enough about skimmers please lead me in the right direction. Thanks

Jeremy R.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo in all your great knowledge would you run bubble blaster 5000 with extended neck or bb 3000 on a MSX 200? Thanks for your time and great knowledge.

I would go with the BB3000. IMO the BB 5000 would be too much for the MSX200 stock body.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it with a 5000 you just can't give it all the pump. The bb5000 and askoll 1500 are both pulling alot of air. I hooked up a askoll pump that pulls 105scfh on my swc200 with extended collection cup. Through the sicce port it did around 45scfh. I tapped the body with a 3/4" id and it pulls 70scfh at 55w. Works just fine. I can skim dry tar or as wet as i want. I would imagine if you used the smaller union on the bb5000 it will do around the same. Just my opinion though.

DSCN1630.jpg

reefgeek31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luke funny to find you here back when i bought this skimmer you where one of the people I turned to for advice. So what you are saying is to just reduce the output side of the pump to 3/4 and that will throttle the pump back enough to keep things from to being to trubulent.
Do you feel the bb 5000 is on par with the askoll you are running? Where did you get your extended neck from? I am wanting to pull the trigger right now but I am worried.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always easy to decrease the air then increase the air : ) I got my extended cup from myself lol. I have never ran a bb5000 so i don't know how it stacks up against the askoll. I have heard its suppose to pull 80-90scfh. So if it does, its somewhat comparable. The 200 can handle around 70scfh with the extended collection cup. Without the extended cup it can take 55scfh ok. Extended it is MUCH better. If you decrease the output side it will help you control the air.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it has to do with the size of the skimmer, the neck, the load, and the water moving through the sump. make sure its all in balance.

reefgeek31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo Im running a Swc 200 in a 140 gal with about 30 to 40 gals in the sump. The sump is 48x20x16 water is at 10" I'm running about 7 to 800 gph. Bio load is going to very heavy. I have found a passion for Anthia's and Wrasse that has taken over my love for SPS but they are still very important to me. I run MB7 and will be adding vodka here shortly. The tank is only 5 wks old (rock is a year old atleast). I am leaning towards the BB 5000s with the extened neck pretty heavy but being untested makes me worry a bit. Luke said I could throttle it back by reducing down to 3/4" but how would I Know if I still was getting to much air or water. What are the signs I would be looking for.

Sorry for the long post been waiting for your input for sure. Thanks

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mike_dani said:

So the SWC skimmers perform as well as the ATB. I really want the ATB but it is a budget thing now however I don't want to go cheap on the most important piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The swc are good skimmers but there not gonna hang with the 1050 deluxe....with the extended bubble plate for more contact time and double bubble plate for very little to no turbulence at all..... They might hang with the econo line but atb didn't name the new line deluxe for no reason.... There's alot of little things and upgrades from standard cone skimmers that make it unique.....

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
troylee said:
The swc are good skimmers but there not gonna hang with the 1050 deluxe....with the extended bubble plate for more contact time and double bubble plate for very little to no turbulence at all..... They might hang with the econo line but atb didn't name the new line deluxe for no reason.... There's alot of little things and upgrades from standard cone skimmers that make it unique.....

Ok so the deluxe is out as the cost is way up there, but hold on is the 1050 A with Askoll pump a deluxe. Victor did not say all he said was one pump pulling in 1400 liters of air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys can't compare a swc200 with an atb 1050a. The comparison would be the swc askoll cone and the atb1050a.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 65 40.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 81 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back