OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for your answer, i will def look into it more. BTW what is your take on the new wave of cone skimmers? i might be in the market for a new skimmer cuz i am not sure if my wm as200 is enough for my 215. low bioload for now but moving towards a heavy load with SPS.

thanks for all your help and opinion!
The AS 200 is a beast of a skimmer buy all means As things grow it might be a little small but I think I would wait until I was able to get a deal on something.

Te sedra 9000HO moves alot of water and pulls 950 lph of air making for a really good combination to make a constant head of foam.
When you watch a cone skimmer the goal is to reduce turbulence. There are only two skimmers on the market that do this very well in my opinion. THE ATB and the WM k2, the swc 1a is nice as well. The others I have seen still have turbulence and havent utilized the cone body.

I have been able to reduce the turnulence in a cylinder body with a different bubble plate design and improve performance this way. Cylinder skimmer for the most part are just about as good as good. The thing the cone body allows is a smaller volume above water allowing less head pressure giving the pump less water to push up and allowing it to pull more air.

Alot of great skimmers out there now. its just a matter of what your needs are and how that fits into your sump and budget.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob, i would suggest the red demon over the ppw if you try a different one. It seems to be lighter in weight and won't cause any startup issues.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your opinion on the PPW on the MSX 160

I would't upgrade with a 160, too much air and they can get really finicky. JUst stick with the stock pinwheel IMO.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I likethe msx wheel on ht 160. Te Red demon wheel is a really nice if not the bes pinwheel out for the sicce. THe Large PPW and the sicce wheel are really similar in performance.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to be honest. I would go pick up the used Warner MArine S 200 salty critter has for $200. The sedra 9000ho pump on it is a beast and will work well.
Otherwise you are pushing the $$ envelope. The xp2000, The vertex in 180 or 280. The thing is the WM s200 is going to move more water and still pull 1000lph of air. Just my opinion.

pmomberger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you review the octo 200 extreme with the mesh paddle? That is what my LFS has me on. How would that compare to the others?

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mesh is good. Its just a little more inconsistant than the pinwheels. f you get a wheel I would get the WM red demon or the ATB large ppw. THe octo 200 is a nice skimmer and is a good bang for the buck. I have had the octo 200 and the msx 200.

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to start a 120 G + 55 G sump, mixed reef. Currently got with it a Euro-Reef CS6 with Sedra 5000 pump, but probably not sufficient after fully stocked (can sell this to upgrade). Would like to stay with-in $400, but cheaper would be better of course.

Would buying a larger than necessary skimmer be overkill? I have come down to these options, thank you for the advice:

- MSX200
- Octopus Extreme Skimmer Series 200
- Octopus Extreme Skimmer Series 250 (dual-pump good?)
- Super Reef Octopus 2000
- Super Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer XP-2000 (cone)
- Bubble Magus NAC66 (dual-pump good?)
- Bubble Magus NAC7
- Bubble Magus BM150
- Bubble Magus BM160
- Vertex IN-180
- Vertex IN-250
- Vertex IN-280

Should I save up for:
MSX 250A (out of price range, but highly recommended)
Warner Marine K2 (out of price range, but highly recommended)

Last edited:

mkenochm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmer would you recomend for a heavily stocked mixed reef 180 gallon tank. I am considering an AQUA C, An Octopus or the new REd Sea C-skim.
Thanks

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of buying a new skimmer for my 100gal w/ 30 gal sump, mostly sps and lps running ZEOvit (if that maters) was looking at a Super Reef Octopus 1000 Internal w/ bubble blaster or Gen II Vertex Internal 180. Any suggestions on these 2 or another skimmer in that price range?

Thanks
Christopher

lmhufty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mojo, I need to upgrade my skimmer. I currently have an Octopus XP-200 that doesn't fit very well in my sump. I am looking at either the Super Reef Space Saver Octopus 3000SSS internal or the Super Space Saver XP-2000SSS Cone skimmer. Both have a small enough footprint to fit well in my sump. WHat direction would you go? I have 150 reef tank. Thanks. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]

cubsare1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new tank and I'm looking at getting a new skimmer. Tank will be 90g with a 55 sump, height will be 32" (may be able to go up 3 more inches if needed). $ would like to stay under $700. I've looked at atb, bubbleking, warner marine, but most of these are for 200 gallon and up. I only want to make this purchase once so the best for the money. Thanks

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The atb 840 econo would rock on that 55....nothing wrong with going big, you can just have that much more livestock in your tank...I have played with and built tons of skimmers including my latest build it before you buy it atb....there skimmers rock!!!

cubsare1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been leaning towards the atb 840 v1.5 (so many options) super/extreme otco, hurricone ect.. just want to make sure I get the best possible

ps the tank is 90 the sump is 55, I can use my rubbermaid stock tank if I need a larger area for the skimmer

Last edited:

rkaires

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been leaning towards the atb 840 v1.5 (so many options) super/extreme otco, hurricone ect.. just want to make sure I get the best possible

ps the tank is 90 the sump is 55, I can use my rubbermaid stock tank if I need a larger area for the skimmer

The 840 would be my choice. You only need a 9"x14" area to fit the 840.

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on board with the 840 you will not be sorry

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges