Stocking list opinion

Muhammed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I just wanted your opinion on the fish list that I want for my my 80 gallon tank. As far as compatibility and own experiences from the fish would be great. I do want a yellow tang and I will take him out as he gets bigger so don't hate please. Thanks

2 clowns Already have
2 Banggi cardinals Already have
3 blue green chromis Want to get it
1Red Solon Fairy Wrasse Want to get it
1Yellow gang Want to get it

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue green chromis could possibly have some aggression issues with each other In a group that small. I prefer keeping them single or in groups of at least 6. I am sure some people have had luck with smaller groups though. I had done a group of 3, and ended up with only 1 after a month from "picking on the little guy" without more in the group to spread it around more.

OP
OP
Muhammed

Muhammed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so let's say I had 3 more chromis to the list what do you think if that bio load?

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a sump adding more water volume? Or just the 80 gallon display tank?

OP
OP
Muhammed

Muhammed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue green chromis could possibly have some aggression issues with each other In a group that small. I prefer keeping them single or in groups of at least 6. I am sure some people have had luck with smaller groups though. I had done a group of 3, and ended up with only 1 after a month from "picking on the little guy" without more in the group to spread it around more.

Okay so let's say I had 3 more chromis to the list what do you think if that bio load?

OP
OP
Muhammed

Muhammed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a sumo good skimmer I'm soon to be running bio pellets

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your plan to keep the wrasse in the tank? Rule him out if you want an open top.

Rule out chromis unless you just want one. Could be any damsel at that point. (I'd rule them out.)

As for the Yellow Tang, just be aware of the stress he's under in a small tank – it's considerable even in a larger tank. So...

Feed him with as much live food and whole-frozen seafoods as you can. Blackworms, earthworms, fresh or frozen whole clams, etc. @Paul B has some great methods.

Keep flakes, pellets, noori and other dried foods to the minimum that you are able to – soak them in fish oil before feeding when possible.

Frozen foods from the fish store can be good or bad. Cubes or plates that contain whole organisms like "reef plankton" and mysis would be preferred to processed "meat with additives" foods. Muscle meat is not very valuable nutritionally. Probiotic foods are also good.

Any foods that are high in carotenoids like krill or reef plankton – even flakes and pellets if used as a supplement – are good for your fish's immune system.

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say if you upped it to 6 chromis, that you would be right near your limit without the tang. But also depends on what/how many inverts and corals you plan on adding.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too small a tank for a large crew of chromis.....they get up to 3-4" each. They're not really that small of a fish.

Plus, you'll still end up with one at the end.

OP
OP
Muhammed

Muhammed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your plan to keep the wrasse in the tank? Rule him out if you want an open top.

Rule out chromis unless you just want one. Could be any damsel at that point. (I'd rule them out.)

As for the Yellow Tang, just be aware of the stress he's under in a small tank – it's considerable even in a larger tank. So...

Feed him with as much live food and whole-frozen seafoods as you can. Blackworms, earthworms, fresh or frozen whole clams, etc. @Paul B has some great methods.

Keep flakes, pellets, noori and other dried foods to the minimum that you are able to – soak them in fish oil before feeding when possible.

Frozen foods from the fish store can be good or bad. Cubes or plates that contain whole organisms like "reef plankton" and mysis would be preferred to processed "meat with additives" foods. Muscle meat is not very valuable nutritionally. Probiotic foods are also good.

Any foods that are high in carotenoids like krill or reef plankton – even flakes and pellets if used as a supplement – are good for your fish's immune system.

I have a canopy with an open back but I closed it off with a screen so the fish can jump but they are not going any where. Yeah I believe the fish need good frozen food too. At the moment I'm feeding dr Gs copepods and they love it

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah true, I didn't really think that , to do the larger group of chromis they would need more than 80 gallon, or they will still probably get aggressive with each other due to the small space anyways. I only had them as juveniles so that was the size I was thinking of and forgot about their adult size.

OP
OP
Muhammed

Muhammed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I'm taking out chromis. Any other suggestion for a small active fish reef safe and friendly with the fish I had above?

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe one of the dwarf angels? But they have been known to pick at corals.

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel.... coral beauty is my favorite fish, but I am hesitant to add one to my tank too.

I would say a royal gramma...,but mine didn't like my long fin fairy wrasse too much, plus he spent a fair amount of time in his little cave. And firefish, but they really aren't all that active as far as swimming about the tank.

OP
OP
Muhammed

Muhammed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel.... coral beauty is my favorite fish, but I am hesitant to add one to my tank too.

I would say a royal gramma...,but mine didn't like my long fin fairy wrasse too much, plus he spent a fair amount of time in his little cave. And firefish, but they really aren't all that active as far as swimming about the tank.

Okay well thanks a lot for your input

wherenext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well thanks a lot for your input
No problem. That is about the scope of the fish I have experience with as far as saltwater goes so I can't suggest much else accept maybe check out some blennys, dotty backs or pseudochromis...i know size wise they could be fine for your size tank, but I don't know about behavior or compatability.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back