Sudden availability and price drops on Gem tangs

79chopperdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've admired these fish for years that seems to be available very rarely and fetch 4 figure prices. Over the last year or two the prices have dropped below 1k and even more recently I've seen two LFS in Nor Cal bring in groups of up to 10 and are selling at $250-400.

Curious if anyone knows what has changed on the collection side that has caused the dam to break and flood the market? I love it, i will soon have a fish i always thought out of my reach.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've admired these fish for years that seems to be available very rarely and fetch 4 figure prices. Over the last year or two the prices have dropped below 1k and even more recently I've seen two LFS in Nor Cal bring in groups of up to 10 and are selling at $250-400.

Curious if anyone knows what has changed on the collection side that has caused the dam to break and flood the market? I love it, i will soon have a fish i always thought out of my reach.
Idk about the collection side of things, but certainly seems like price has adjusted to demand. Several sites that had them for upwards of $1k didn’t seem to move them...

OP
OP

79chopperdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk about the collection side of things, but certainly seems like price has adjusted to demand. Several sites that had them for upwards of $1k didn’t seem to move them...
I asked about collection because I'd always seen basically singles being brought in. Now there getting groups like yellows!

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That new Madagascar collection station seems to be up and running well now.

Gem tangs were expensive because the wholesalers used to have to import them from the Mauritius Islands. You would also have to purchase lots of fish to make the shipment worth while(or honestly so they would even sell to you). Lots of those fish were fish that could be sourced from other regions for much cheaper. Since the freight made them incredibly expensive but no one would pay the adjusted price for those it was transferred on to the Gems(AKA the only reason to make an order from Mauritius). Then a retailer bought them and also had to make their markup. Hence the 2500-4000 price. Back in the day it was like pulling teeth to get wholesalers to bring in Gems, now we see them every week.

Now that Madagascar is open most wholesalers can get their hands on them and I would expect them to get less expensive than even purple tangs in the coming years.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that Madagascar is open most wholesalers can get their hands on them and I would expect them to get less expensive than even purple tangs in the coming years
You might say the gem tang is losing its luster.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back