Sudden availability and price drops on Gem tangs

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try an acclamation box with my gem for maybe a day or 2 and hope my purple gets used to him...of course maybe I should put the purple in the time out box and let the Gem roam freely

Latter is much better. Unless you remove/isolate the aggressor, you don't reset the pecking order. The acclimation box is mostly a tool to evaluate whether there's likely to be aggression; it doesn't work particularly well to actually curb said aggression.

KYFishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BantyRooster97
It is a Multibar Angelfish(Paracentropyge multifasciata). I imagine they are just like any other dwarf angel being hit or miss in a reef tank.

aj741986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be watching the prices on these for my up coming build. They are beautiful fish and would love to have one.

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and purple tang and recently pre-ordered 2 gem tang for $280 each in California

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I read where someone has seen Gems on their wholesale list for $65?!?!? If so, that means we should see prices around the $140 mark and even less if on sale.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think eventually they will be priced in line with Purple tangs or possibly even less. Imo their main draw was always more about scarcity in the hobby than looks. A nice Purple blows them away. To me at least.

Sidvicious

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the only other nicer looking Tang than a purple would be a Sohal IMO. Though a yellow tang is a remarkable fish as well and shall never grow old.

Randy Ruiz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you have all of these in the same tank? I have a purple and was thinking of adding the Gem in a 220.
I have a purple in a 180g & it has harrassed any tang (of similar or smaller size) to death. Was able to ad a larger naso that was too big for it to bully. But purples are known for that. Thinking if I could catch it, put it in sump for few days then re-introduce it at same time as another tang then should be ok.

OP
OP

79chopperdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my last tank I had a large 8” sailfin and smaller purple and yellow. The sailfin was a good Peacekeeper that kept the purple in check. The same sailfin was held for me by a friend and is coming back soon. Sailfin, purple and gem is the plan

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth advance marine aquatics has them for 280. I’m gonna wait and see if they come down
@amoore311 o hope your right as far as the polyzoan tangs prices going down . Would love to get my hands on my dream fish but only for the right price

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyzona Tangs and Kingii Angels are being brought in through Madagascar as well. Expect prices on these fish to drop precipitously over the next year.

Kingii have been coming in from Madagascar for some time. Did they recently find Polyzona there as well?

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kingii have been coming in from Madagascar for some time. Did they recently find Polyzona there as well?

Yes. Check through Jake Adams videos. He has an unboxing video of the fish for his fish only tank that all came in from Madagascar.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Check through Jake Adams videos. He has an unboxing video of the fish for his fish only tank that all came in from Madagascar.
When do you think the prices of the zebra tangs are coming down. Waiting patiently. 3 almost 4 years now. Lol

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you think the prices of the zebra tangs are coming down. Waiting patiently. 3 almost 4 years now. Lol
me too dude.

Gems seem to have stabilized around $350ish and cheaper, but the zebra tangs and tiger angels are holding their value.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me too dude.

Gems seem to have stabilized around $350ish and cheaper, but the zebra tangs and tiger angels are holding their value.
Agreed. I’ve seen gems as low as 250. Zebras cheapest I ever saw was 949. Tiger angels I couldn’t tell you

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back