Sudden availability and price drops on Gem tangs

HeinritzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very exciting news! Not sure how a gem tang addition would go with my current 6 tangs... but might be worth the risk!?
Blonde Naso, Blue Regal, Purple, Yellow, Sailfin, Tomini...

9secv6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one know any place one can be ordered with this new lower price

tclogston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sudden though. Gem prices have been coming down for a couple of years. Recently saw some for $299.
Reef lounge USA in California just advertised them on reef2reef for $280 I ordered one and believe the guy said he had like 50 preorders for them

tclogston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one know any place one can be ordered with this new lower price
Reef lounge USA in California just advertised them on reef2reef for $280 I ordered one and believe the guy said he had like 50 preorders for them... I think it may be too late to get in on this order but check with him anyway I imagine if this is successful they will make another order

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very exciting news! Not sure how a gem tang addition would go with my current 6 tangs... but might be worth the risk!?

Even though I have a very large tank, when I introduced my gem the resident purple would have killed it had I not banished it to the sump for a month. They now coexist, mostly. I have a similar tang gang. Chevron instead of Tomini, a unicorn and a polyzona. Only the purple was a problem.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From my experience, a many-tangs gang is better than a few-tangs gang....spreads our any existing aggression, and they have already learned to co-exist. Plus, I learned to feed at multiple spots so no one territory needs to be defended.

Having multiple hiding places also help when aggression do arise. Tangs are like ostriches. If they don't see the target, they leave him alone.

I am also hoping for the best....

HeinritzReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, a many-tangs gang is better than a few-tangs gang....spreads our any existing aggression, and they have already learned to co-exist. Plus, I learned to feed at multiple spots so no one territory needs to be defended.

Having multiple hiding places also help when aggression do arise. Tangs are like ostriches. If they don't see the target, they leave him alone.

I am also hoping for the best....

When we added Sailfin & Tomini...

After a few bad days of aggression (purple/yellow ganging up on the sailfin)... we split up the tangs with a divider made of screen & pvc pipe.

... after a few days of only visual contact we added a lot of new rock & completely reworked the caves. Purple was still angry but got over it once they all were back together.

After a few bad days of aggression...

tclogston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try an acclamation box with my gem for maybe a day or 2 and hope my purple gets used to him...of course maybe I should put the purple in the time out box and let the Gem roam freely

Ming_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Gem Tang, after our LFS brings in shipment from Madagascar.
So far it is a model citizen in the tank.

Gem Tang is the first zebrasoma in my tank, after which i then added a much smaller purple tang and yellow tang. Absolutely no fighting at all. Now, only my purple and yellow chases each other just before lights off.

Also, keeping a Gem Tang is as simple as keeping a yellow tang, which is surprising because from my limited experience, more expensive = more difficult to keep.

Best photo i can get with all 3 in the same frame...

20200110_141533_resized.jpg

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef lounge USA in California just advertised them on reef2reef for $280 I ordered one and believe the guy said he had like 50 preorders for them... I think it may be too late to get in on this order but check with him anyway I imagine if this is successful they will make another order
Holding on for the under $200 price point.... then I'll probably get one

U

User1

View Badges
Not really sudden though. Gem prices have been coming down for a couple of years. Recently saw some for $299.

Is yours in your display? I seem to recall one of your videos you mentioned about moving it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons? Who is the current tank boss and how aggressive is it? Hard to predict but these are factors to assessing the risks IMO.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is yours in your display? I seem to recall one of your videos you mentioned about moving it.

Yes it is in the display - has been for a while. Did not go off without some significant drama though. Now trying to decide whether to try with my black tang also. Price on those hasn't come down.

U

User1

View Badges
Yes it is in the display - has been for a while. Did not go off without some significant drama though. Now trying to decide whether to try with my black tang also. Price on those hasn't come down.

Got it, thanks.

I wish I would have waited on the Scopas but it is really amazing at eating every form of algae I had in my tank while it was maturing. I'm not sure if it would get along with a Gem or any other in the Zebrasoma tree.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try an acclamation box with my gem for maybe a day or 2 and hope my purple gets used to him...of course maybe I should put the purple in the time out box and let the Gem roam freely
I like the method @ca1ore uses. Move the bully, not the noob. Put that fish in the acclimation box or the sump and let the new fish swim free. I've had the best luck that way.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back