Synergy Shadow Overflow Flow Adjustment

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

So I made a mistake when I plumbed my shadow overflow. I only added 1 gate valve to the main drain pipe. I left the other two drain pipes fully open. The drain pipe in the middle is causing a lot of salt creep on the sump. The third drain is just for emergency which hasn’t drain yet.

So my question is. Can I do something to the intake of the middle drain pipe to reduce the flow without adding a gate valve? I know that adding a gate valve will be the best solution but it would be kind of hard to get behind the tank to re do the plumbing.

Any help will be greatly appreciate.

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you add a gate valve right before sump where it is accessible ?
Yes but right after the sump there are two 45 degree elbow then straight up to the overflow. Not impossible but I was trying to avoid messing with the plumbing behind the tank. Was just hoping for something that could be done to the intake of the pipe. Like I said just hoping

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but right after the sump there are two 45 degree elbow then straight up to the overflow. Not impossible but I was trying to avoid messing with the plumbing behind the tank. Was just hoping for something that could be done to the intake of the pipe. Like I said just hoping
Got any pictures ? Maybe if I can see it I can give better advice. Either way a valve will most likely be the best option

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out "reducing spigots" and "reducing couplers" on BRS. You might have to modify one, but it could work, "IF" I truly understand what you are trying to accomplish without a photo. Best wishes! ;)

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any pictures ? Maybe if I can see it I can give better advice. Either way a valve will most likely be the best option
I used 1 1/2” pipes. The gate valve for that size is huge don’t think it will fit there it will have to go behind the tank.
I was thinking of maybe reducing the size or using a ball valve as they are smaller. But I don’t know if the ball valve will work for what I’m trying to do.

Attachments

• 1FA57574-12D1-4234-A465-6DD1DC4D5150.jpeg
    1FA57574-12D1-4234-A465-6DD1DC4D5150.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out "reducing spigots" and "reducing couplers" on BRS. You might have to modify one, but it could work, "IF" I truly understand what you are trying to accomplish without a photo. Best wishes! ;)
Yea I might give that a try before cutting the plumbing.

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how I have the main drain. I was able to make all the bubbles disappear with the gate valve and still get a nice flow.

Attachments

• 3FB14CE0-4BEB-4F70-9476-737DA0E3DA94.jpeg
    3FB14CE0-4BEB-4F70-9476-737DA0E3DA94.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 84

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming the top of your pipes inside the overflow box itself are just open cut pipes. That's why I'm thinking you can just jam a reducer in there and reduce the flow coming into the top of one. Even if you have to go open pipe / cut down piece of regular coupler / reducer. Typical-- it's easier to do than explain. LOL. Put you don't have to glue anything inside the box (just pressure fit)-- so if you don't like it / can't make it work, pull it off.

OP
OP
Tonii

Tonii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming the top of your pipes inside the overflow box itself are just open cut pipes. That's why I'm thinking you can just jam a reducer in there and reduce the flow coming into the top of one. Even if you have to go open pipe / cut down piece of regular coupler / reducer. Typical-- it's easier to do than explain. LOL. Put you don't have to glue anything inside the box (just pressure fit)-- so if you don't like it / can't make it work, pull it off.
Yes they are just open pipes with U shape fitting on top

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have the exact same problem! I have an sca 150 with 1.5" drain plumbing with a very pricey spears gate valve on the primary. When i dial down my primary to make it quiet my secondary creates bubbles and has more flow than the primary. I'm thinking of reducing the secondary to 1" at some point above the sump and see if that helps. I do have room for another gate valve but don't want to spend the 60 dollars. I'm also wondering if I can just raise the water level too if that might help.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You shouldn't get bubbles when it's tuned properly. I have the same overflow and 1 1/2" drains and a single gate valve on the main drain. Are you using the "U" fittings on the main and secondary drains? The only thing I had to do was find the right length of pipe inside the external box for the main and secondary drains. Also, are you extending the drains in the sump so they are completely submerged?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I have the exact same problem! I have an sca 150 with 1.5" drain plumbing with a very pricey spears gate valve on the primary. When i dial down my primary to make it quiet my secondary creates bubbles and has more flow than the primary. I'm thinking of reducing the secondary to 1" at some point above the sump and see if that helps. I do have room for another gate valve but don't want to spend the 60 dollars. I'm also wondering if I can just raise the water level too if that might help.
Your main should be flowing in a full siphon. There should only be a small amount of flow in the secondary drain

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

So I made a mistake when I plumbed my shadow overflow. I only added 1 gate valve to the main drain pipe. I left the other two drain pipes fully open. The drain pipe in the middle is causing a lot of salt creep on the sump. The third drain is just for emergency which hasn’t drain yet.

So my question is. Can I do something to the intake of the middle drain pipe to reduce the flow without adding a gate valve? I know that adding a gate valve will be the best solution but it would be kind of hard to get behind the tank to re do the plumbing.

Any help will be greatly appreciate.
You did not make a mistake. The 2 and third drains are emergency drains and should have no restrictions. There should only be the tiniest trickle of water, if that, down the second line and nothing down the third when setup and tuned.

If you are getting more than a trickle down the second after adjusting the main gate valve to stop sucking air, something isn’t set up correctly in the overflow. Can you post some photos showing the three drains inside the overflow?

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine sounds like I'm standing on top of the Empire State building in a wind storm eating a York peppermint patty. Hate the stupid thing.

Phone Reaction GIF by moodman

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the precut pipe from Synergy reef and I thought or I guess hoped it would be closer to being tuned and yes I'm using both of the u fittings and yes my pvc is submerged into the sump too. Is your gate valve on the middle drain or one of the ends? The middle is taking alot more flow no matter how I try to get this thing tuned. I guess I can try to shorten both stand pipes and see if that helps or put more water in the tank to raise the level. My gut tells me reducing the secondary from 1.5" to something smaller ( 1.25" maybe ) would help too though.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the precut pipe from Synergy reef and I thought or I guess hoped it would be closer to being tuned and yes I'm using both of the u fittings and yes my pvc is submerged into the sump too. Is your gate valve on the middle drain or one of the ends? The middle is taking alot more flow no matter how I try to get this thing tuned. I guess I can try to shorten both stand pipes and see if that helps or put more water in the tank to raise the level. My gut tells me reducing the secondary from 1.5" to something smaller ( 1.25" maybe ) would help too though.
I have 1.5" pipes with 1 gate valve on the main and with gradual changes or turns if the gate can go from wind tunnel to dead silent. My main drain is under the sump water level, the secondary is using a longer pipe with slices as provided by bashsea and the emergency is out of the water so I could hear that there was an issue. No need to reduce or change any of the plumbing. I tried that at first and it didn't solve anything.

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't get bubbles when it's tuned properly. I have the same overflow and 1 1/2" drains and a single gate valve on the main drain. Are you using the "U" fittings on the main and secondary drains? The only thing I had to do was find the right length of pipe inside the external box for the main and secondary drains. Also, are you extending the drains in the sump so they are completely submerged?
Really confused by all this. Should water level in tank be too the top of the weirs?

Attachments

• 20210402_070920.jpg
    20210402_070920.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210402_070908.jpg
    20210402_070908.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210402_070831.jpg
    20210402_070831.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210402_070800.jpg
    20210402_070800.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 71

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really confused by all this. Should water level in tank be too the top of the weirs?
In the external overflow the main drain without the hole in the top should be the lowest pipe and covered with water, the secondary should be higher than the main and mine anyway is about half way covered. The emergency is obviously the tallest and should be exposed. My main has about 3/4-1" water above it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back