Taken from the wild . . .

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how invasive species are introduced there could be something that hitch hikes it's way into your local waters that's home is on the other side of the world
1000% percent this. It is reckless to release a creature like this back into the wild.

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000% percent this. It is reckless to release a creature like this back into the wild.
If it was caught in the same area...They are not invasive... the are natural....I saw one yesterday when i took my dog down to the beach...I have multiple skeletons of those washed up on shore..definitely not invasive.

OP
OP
Alex.M.

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such an awesome personality on the fish lol. The horseshoe I mentioned has a cool personality. He likes to do tricks for attention. He will perform backcircle, pause, wait for you to do something. If you do anything like tap glass then he does it again. If you do nothing but stare at him he turns his back on you and buries himself in the sand. Its freaking adorable. When I pick him up, I'll see if I can record him

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such an awesome personality on the fish lol. The horseshoe I mentioned has a cool personality. He likes to do tricks for attention. He will perform backcircle, pause, wait for you to do something. If you do anything like tap glass then he does it again. If you do nothing but stare at him he turns his back on you and buries himself in the sand. Its freaking adorable. When I pick him up, I'll see if I can record him
Lol the personalities of these creature never ceases to amaze me.

OP
OP
Alex.M.

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right!?!?! My turbo snails have interesting personalities too. Like my smallest one like to hitch rides across the tank on the largest snail ( he's like the size of my palm). When the big guy stops he just crawls away. I see a lot more personality out of salt water animals than I do freshwater. Lol

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right!?!?! My turbo snails have interesting personalities too. Like my smallest one like to hitch rides across the tank on the largest snail ( he's like the size of my palm). When the big guy stops he just crawls away. I see a lot more personality out of salt water animals than I do freshwater. Lol
Lol yeah, so much for dumb fish...

OP
OP
Alex.M.

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh I get that alot when I'm like a got a new hobby and its salt water aqauriums! So many people are like "fish really? " that's boring or dumb.

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was caught in the same area...They are not invasive... the are natural....I saw one yesterday when i took my dog down to the beach...I have multiple skeletons of those washed up on shore..definitely not invasive.
It doesn’t matter. If it was in captivity you run the risk of it harming other animals or the ecosystem as a whole as the unknown risks are not readily apparent.

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t matter. If it was in captivity you run the risk of it harming other animals or the ecosystem as a whole as the unknown risks are not readily apparent.
But it wasn't in captivity for long, and fish and wild life plans on quarantining it... People may think they aren't educated enough, but the know what they are doing when it comes to our costal waters...

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many have said here, returning it is a bad idea. I've spoken to many marine biologists specifically on this topic (general marine life) and the main concern is bacteria, viruses, etc that may not be infecting the animal but on them. Our tanks are a mix of life from all over the world, so would be horrible to release any of that microscopic life.

Park rangers are not marine biologists normally. They are used to stopping people with them in their car while leaving the park. Something held in a reef tank is not something they would be experts on and I would not trust their judgement.

My personal recommendation is to contact a local aquarium or natural science museum. I used to assist at a natural science museum that did house many horseshoe crabs. They had them of all different sizes. If it were safe to release one, they would know and would work with local authorities to do so. If it was not safe, it could then live in one of their large tanks with experts taking care of it. And since they would often get horseshoe crabs on purpose, this would be saving another from being caught just for them.

Lastly, one thing I remember the marine biologist specifically mentioning was that baby horseshoe crabs had a very low survival rate.
Im not sure from your post if you are experienced with fish and wildlife in coastal areas....they are by no means park rangers...

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that, it's why the rangers plan on Q.T the horseshoe crab for one month before returning it. If it is sick it will get treatment. I do not agree with returning animals to the wild unless you are a trained profession like the state park rangers. They are not immune to hitch hickers like barnacles either, but they are immune to other internal parasites or illnesses which is stated in the article I provided. But you are correct they can get external hitch hikers. I have not read of horse shoe crabs getting ich but I do know that algae and barnacles.
I’m sorry but no offense to park rangers but they are from from experts in all facets of wildlife ecology. Most have basic degrees in biology or natural resource management. This does not mean they’re qualified nor are you to make the call as to whether it is safe to release.

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but no offense to park rangers but they are from from experts in all facets of wildlife ecology. Most have basic degrees in biology or natural resource management. This does not mean they’re qualified nor are you to make the call as to whether it is safe to release.
What I am saying is, we don't have "park rangers" these guys are literally advocates for natural life/conservation/animal awareness and they don't have specific "parks" they travel all over. I understand in wildlife preserves, federal parks that there are "rangers" but that's not what fish and wildlife do in my area of the world...

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure from your post if you are experienced with fish and wildlife in coastal areas....they are by no means park rangers...
He had said park rangers which is why I referred to them. Now if it is FWC then that is a different matter entirely. I used to do a tiny amount of work with them when I lived in the Florida Keys (my then employer handles the manatee rescues there so partners with FWC). But yeah a park ranger at something like Bahia Honda State Park would not be a source I would trust on the matter.

OP
OP
Alex.M.

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect your opinion, but I will trust my local game Warren aka my park ranger to manage the care and treatment of this one specific horseshoe crab. I could also argue that recent changes to laws and regulations have made them more than just your old fashion park rangers from the 80s. A lot of park rangers do so much more than they ever did. The park manager of the state park I am giving the crab too is also a game Warren for fish and wildlife of Florida. He might not be a super high official marine biologist but he works with local marine biologist to persevere the state park. I'm sure if he had any doubt they will not return it to the wild.

OP
OP
Alex.M.

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He had said park rangers which is why I referred to them. Now if it is FWC then that is a different matter entirely. I used to do a tiny amount of work with them when I lived in the Florida Keys (my then employer handles the manatee rescues there so partners with FWC). But yeah a park ranger at something like Bahia Honda State Park would not be a source I would trust on the matter.
The park ranger in question is also a game warden for fish and wildlife of Flroida. I trust his opinion a lot. Lol plus he works with local marine biologists (from usf) to protect the park. If he has any doubts, I'm positive that they will not release it. They dont want anything to upset the balance of their park and its ecosystems.

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The park ranger in question is also a game warden for fish and wildlife of Flroida. I trust his opinion a lot. Lol plus he works with local marine biologists (from usf) to protect the park. If he has any doubts, I'm positive that they will not release it. They dont want anything to upset the balance of their park and its ecosystems.
It was the FWC part I was missing before. I agree I trust whatever that group says.

Best of luck!

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am at an advantage because I live in the same area, so I know what our fish and wildlife does. But, that isn't what you think they do from a different stand point...Most of our wildlife in this area is marine based. We have an amazing slice of the ocean which we are trying hard to preserve. As I stated before, I don't agree with her opinion on collection from the wild as I do that myself(with the appropriate permits). But, I also trust our wild life officers to protect any species in our amazing environment...

OP
OP
Alex.M.

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the FWC part I was missing before. I agree I trust whatever that group says.

Best of luck!
Heck knowing the staff at the park if they think its diseased they would shoot it and then burn it just to make sure. Lol and the FWC rangers are some tough dudes. The manager is awesome kick butt and take no name. The park shaped up so much after he arrives. Litter was gone, homeless was chased out, nature center was added. It looks amazing

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back