Taken from the wild . . .

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this blood is so valuable and is potentially helpful to human health I am surprised more horseshoe crabs are not raised. BTW they are not crabs, more related to spiders.

Here on mud flats of Long Island NY millions of them can be found freshly hatched and I believe that the spawn from just one crab could possibly supply all the blood that is needed if raised. They could easily be raised in lagoons in New York as we have many unused, underutilized places where nothing is done. They could also be fed fish parts that we do not use from the fish food industry. If I were 157 years younger, I would look into it myself.

This tiny lagoon where I collect mud and amphipods is filled with horseshoe crabs and their young. It is not used for anything but people throw trash in it. The tide raises and ebbs 8'.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mariculture. Building pens, artificial reefs and tide pools on the shoreline, letting natural wave action and tides take the place of wavemakers and perform twice-daily water changes.
That makes sense. I guess I misinterpreted the OP’s vision. I thought she was wanting a traditional brick and mortar store, like, in Tampa.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mariculture. Building pens, artificial reefs and tide pools on the shoreline, letting natural wave action and tides take the place of wavemakers and perform twice-daily water changes.

Mariculture is also having problems though - for example even mariculture coral is banned from export from Indonesia - I thought the OP was talking about a 'building'. My guess is that mariculture coral will be a thing of the past if things keep going the way they are around the world.

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mariculture is also having problems though - for example even mariculture coral is banned from export from Indonesia - I thought the OP was talking about a 'building'. My guess is that mariculture coral will be a thing of the past if things keep going the way they are around the world.
Agreed. Hence the earlier post about Walt Smith in Fiji as a cautionary tale and partnering with someone that owns a private (i.e. mostly extrajudicial) island to sidestep fickle lawmakers.

I do think the OP was thinking building inland, but my take is that it would be a near impossibility to meet Alex's stated goals of green / carbon-neutral that way.

Heck, if I hit the next big Mega Millions, I'd even put my money where my mouth is, build it myself, and take you all along for the ride.. kinda like Kids Sea Camp in Bonaire.

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when I was very new to this hobby, I wanted a powder blue or brown tang in my 65 gallon! To this, my LFS owner, more reliable than most, said something that I can relate to this thread very much:

"Now, there's two ways you can look at this. One is that you take these beautiful creatures out of their home, they deserve the best and a 65 won't cut it. Or, another way to look at it is that thousands of these fish die in the wild or are eaten daily, a 65 gallon would be much better than that."

This had really made me think and I eventually ended up never getting a powder blue tang or powder brown tang for that tank.

Basically my take/current opinion now is that, if it comes from the wild, provide it a good life and adequate space, but know that nothing will compare to the ocean.

OP
OP
Alex.M.

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That makes sense. I guess I misinterpreted the OP’s vision. I thought she was wanting a traditional brick and mortar store, like, in Tampa.

What would they do with the them in the winter? I believe horseshoes crabs are cold blooded

Sorry for delayed response everyone. I was getting a clownfish and firefish for my tank and need to make sure that my Q.tank was established and ready to go. Plus it was tank cleaning day and I have 4 tanks so it takes awhile.

Anyway my goal is to creat a way to breed fish naturally, without having to take them from the oceans. I do not have everything figured out. Lol I'm still a few years away from that. My goal is green energy, frescaping and almost all natural ecosystems for the fish to give and breed in. Natural environments has proven to increase birth rates among animals. Heck in captivity, birth rates increase anywhere between 10 to 50% depending on animal species.

Big cheese is the closest to my ideas. Again I know I have not thought of everything, but every input helps me over come a challenge. The goal is to build an artificial lagoon, that is located on the coast. Unfortunately, I can have sea water enter the lagoon but due to laws in the US the water would never be allowed to leave the lagoon. I will be located in southern Texas (at least that's the goal) or stay in Florida, so weather would not be that bad. And a few hurricanes every now and then is no big deal if you design correctly.

The wave action will be caused by the moon, the sun provides heat and light. A green energy water treatment plant will provide fresh water. Oxygenated water can be provided with mini waterfalls around the lagoon. The water treatment plants can easily be green energy through hydrogeochemistry. Basically the correct microalgae, bacteria, rocks and temperature (aka evaporation) can kill almost all bacteria and protists (minus extremophiles). While at the same time providing the proper bacteria to encourage fish and coral growth.

The lagoon can be split into smaller areas to make sure that more aggressive fish can not attack less aggressive fish.

Now the lagoon will be enclosed in a building of some sort to stop other animals from getting in and attacking the animals. Tjis could be an actual building or large caging (think "bird" area in Jurassic park 3) Basically the idea is to follow how Earth naturally takes care of our oceans combined with how NASA plans to create aquatic ecosystems in Mars, and make it here on Earth.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back