Taken from the wild . . .

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He had said park rangers which is why I referred to them. Now if it is FWC then that is a different matter entirely. I used to do a tiny amount of work with them when I lived in the Florida Keys (my then employer handles the manatee rescues there so partners with FWC). But yeah a park ranger at something like Bahia Honda State Park would not be a source I would trust on the matter.
And Im sorry, I may be biased as I honestly have never met a "park ranger" in all of my trips/collections/simply fishing in my area. Maybe there are some that I just haven't experienced, but everyone I have come across was FWC.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t matter. If it was in captivity you run the risk of it harming other animals or the ecosystem as a whole as the unknown risks are not readily apparent.
I agree. Quarantining an animal doesn’t make it disease free. You’d have to test it and cure it of whatever it may have. And you don’t even know what you’re looking for. You’re potentially endangering millions of other animals and an entire ecosystem just to save one animal that probably will die when put back.

OP
OP
Alex.M.

Alex.M.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Quarantining an animal doesn’t make it disease free. You’d have to test it and cure it of whatever it may have. And you don’t even know what you’re looking for. You’re potentially endangering millions of other animals and an entire ecosystem just to save one animal that probably will die when put back.

I agree with you. I would never personally return an animal to the wild. But I will let trained professionals who have more experience, knowledge and better treatments available to them take care of that. They know what they are doing.

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Im sorry, I may be biased as I honestly have never met a "park ranger" in all of my trips/collections/simply fishing in my area. Maybe there are some that I just haven't experienced, but everyone I have come across was FWC.
Florida State Park Rangers are a part of the Department of Environmental Protection while FWC is it's on law enforcement agency. FWC does a lot of patrolling in state parks though (and just about everywhere outside the parks too) so it is very easy to mistake them for rangers. So two different type of officials working in the same area, just with different focuses. For your interests, it makes way more sense to interact with FWC.

And that example park I mentioned Bahia Honda, it is a state park in the Keys (best beach in the Keys) so would have both type of officials patrolling it.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you. I would never personally return an animal to the wild. But I will let trained professionals who have more experience, knowledge and better treatments available to them take care of that. They know what they are doing.
I would almost rather donate it to an aquarium. (Like theme park kind). They do lots of conservation work (typically). I’m sure they’d be the experts as they hire marine biologists that have many years of training and experience.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would almost rather donate it to an aquarium. (Like theme park kind). They do lots of conservation work (typically). I’m sure they’d be the experts as they hire marine biologists that have many years of training and experience.

I agree

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know more about this fish farm with no pumps idea.
Omg, I really hope you are not referring to my tank. Please tell me you don’t think the one fish is pregnant as the would open a huge amount of research and implication that I wasn’t wanting to get into, but would feel obligated to do...no intention of breeding anything, the skeleton shrimp are doing that on their own so I just make sure they are well fed with good water quality.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg, I really hope you are not referring to my tank. Please tell me you don’t think the one fish is pregnant as the would open a huge amount of research and implication that I wasn’t wanting to get into, but would feel obligated to do...no intention of breeding anything, the skeleton shrimp are doing that on their own so I just make sure they are well fed with good water quality.
Lol oh no. @Alex.M. ’s business idea. She said she won’t use pumps or anything. I’m picturing above ground pools in a warehouse with skylights, filled with mangroves and chaeto. I’m just confused how you will get fresh air into the water with no pumps. Also confused how you will catch the fish if using large systems to breed tons of big hard to breed reef fish. I can’t even catch slow fish in my 90.

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg
Lol oh no. @Alex.M. ’s business idea. She said she won’t use pumps or anything. I’m picturing above ground pools in a warehouse with skylights, filled with mangroves and chaeto. I’m just confused how you will get fresh air into the water with no pumps. Also confused how you will catch the fish if using large systems to breed tons of big hard to breed reef fish. I can’t even catch slow fish in my 90.
I think I may have just had a heart attack trying to figure out how the hell I was going to raise unnamed goby fry...thank you so much for your quick reply...it may have saved my life.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg

I think I may have just had a heart attack trying to figure out how the hell I was going to raise unnamed goby fry...thank you so much for your quick reply...it may have saved my life.
Lol, you are a wildcard. So funny Lolol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
90% of our fish are wild caught as Few are captive bred

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re jumping to some serious conclusions based on evidence you clearly don’t have. Five seconds and one google search later and I was able to dig up tons of primary literature on disease and infection affecting horseshoe crab...Please don’t spread information for which you have not yet vetted yourself.
I think the OP was relaying what was told by wildlife authorities. Also, the OP referenced an official, government article abt horseshoe crabs and cancer (not other diseases). You keep insisting that you’re information is correct when the OP has been told otherwise by someone tasked with upholding the laws of their state. A law enforcement officer has said it is ok to return the horseshoe crab to the ocean. Subsequently, it really doesn’t matter what anyone thinks about it, it is legal.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until OP finds out that the Pharmaceutical industry harvests 100's of thousands of Horseshoe Crabs yearly, collects 50% of their blood, and returns them to the wild, where they usually die.
I just read an article that states only 10%-30% of them die. It is not an official, government report but here it is...

“The industry says that not that many of the animals die. Between 10 and 30 percent of the bled animals, according to varying estimates, actually die.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/02/the-blood-harvest/284078/

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back