OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oil emersion are you still using that way? One other thing I was going to ask its hard for me to tell here. Did the blood seem kind of brown or more to the red side to you?
No oil immersion on the pictures or videos I've shown you. I only use oil immersion with 1,000x and 2,000x or just the 100x Objective.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some research and there's this disease that can attack marine fish, and it has to do with an amoeba... I think I saw one on the gills. But just a few mins ago when I rent to relook at the slide.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But would that explain the twitches? Like the jolts from the clown behavior video?
That would be harder to say it could be a lot of things. Other than critters/bacteria. Toxins maybe could do this too. Doesn't look like brook. Do you know if your fish was wild caught? How long have you had him? What other test did you use? Also amoeba look kind of like the blob in movies. Some look spiky. If it was internal you wouldn't be able to tell. Those can certainly cause nerve damage too.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you know what these are, I see quite a bit of these on the gill sample... 1,000x oil immersion.
IMG_20210905_211251438.jpg
IMG_20210905_211039804.jpg

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was getting at if it is wild caught possible cyanide poisoning. Which could effect the other fish. One possibility among other reasons. Nitrite, lack of O2, medicines, stress. It can all add up, and from what I see this was over 10 day period? If it was truly brown blood this could indicate some of those things. That does look like it could be an amoeba, but the real ones causing mysterious damage would be inside. Moving pictures would be more verifiable.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was getting at if it is wild caught possible cyanide poisoning. Which could effect the other fish. One possibility among other reasons. Nitrite, lack of O2, medicines, stress. It can all add up, and form what I see this was over 10 day period? If it was truly brown blood this could indicate some of those things. That does look like it could be an amoeba, but the real ones causing mysterious damage would be inside. Moving pictures would be more verifiable.
I doubt anything is moving at this point, it's been 3+ hrs since gill clip.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly cant tell. You can see some nucleus in the picture, and the shape. That's about it. Kind of brings me back to post 37 could be any one of those, or bacteria of some kind. I don't think these would be as much of the issue their numbers seem pretty low. What kind of oil are you using?

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly cant tell. You can see some nucleus in the picture, and the shape. That's about it. Kind of brings me back to post 37 could be any one of those, or bacteria of some kind. I don't think these would be as much of the issue their numbers seem pretty low. What kind of oil are you using?
Whatever came with the microscope lol

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try other oils. It maybe mineral oil. The difference would be others have different refractive indices. Would be kind of trial and error. Try a purer source of mineral oil, or other with higher index. I see amazon picture is pretty brown looking.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I think my copper power is not accurate. I did the recommended dose on a 5 gal bucket that I calibrated. So I know where each gal is on the bucket. So I put in a 1/4 fl oz into 5g of saltwater and my Hanna checker read 2.27ppm. The instructions state it should've been at 2.50ppm. So I did some math and found out I need 0.275 fl oz or 8.132ml of copper power in 5g of water for 2.50ppm copper. After I added what I needed to, I had to add 0.739ml copper to my 5g bucket after putting in the 1/4 fl oz of copper in. My result came out to 2.45ppm copper. So just be careful using that stuff. Recommended dosage on an online calculator would have brought the ppm to 2.35ppm in 5g. Hmm something's not adding up...

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try other oils. It maybe mineral oil. The difference would be others have different refractive indices. Would be kind of trial and error. Try a purer source of mineral oil, or other with higher index. I see amazon picture is pretty brown looking.
Yeah it's a yellow color. More like amber.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I think my copper power is not accurate. I did the recommended dose on a 5 gal bucket that I calibrated. So I know where each gal is on the bucket. So I put in a 1/4 fl oz into 5g of saltwater and my Hanna checker read 2.27ppm. The instructions state it should've been at 2.50ppm. So I did some math and found out I need 0.275 fl oz or 8.132ml of copper power in 5g of water for 2.50ppm copper. After I added what I needed to, I had to add 0.739ml copper to my 5g bucket after putting in the 1/4 fl oz of copper in. My result came out to 2.45ppm copper. So just be careful using that stuff. Recommended dosage on an online calculator would have brought the ppm to 2.35ppm in 5g. Hmm something's not adding up...
Those amounts seem negligible. Also consider maybe % errors on hanna checker, and copper power itself. This is not for flukes anyway really.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back