Tank is too LOUD

reefguy40gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a 40gal tank with sump, oversized skimmer, hang-on-the-back of the tank thingy that uses a plug in electrical pump to move the water down to the sump.

I used to have a JBJ 24ga nano tank and it was quiet.

For reasons I don't want to get into, I sleep on the couch at night. My tank is in the living room. Between the pump in the sump, the skimmer, the water from the hang-on-back thingy......the tank is really loud.

Any suggestions on how to quiet it down a bit? My LFS told me to put a sponge like material on the pump in the sump.

And drilling the tank is not an option since I already have fish and live rock and I just don't want to deal with it.

Are there any alternative hang-on-the-back thingys that I could buy that would be a bit quieter or?

thanks

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get an overflow that doesn't require a pump....although they can also be loud if not set up properly. I use an Eshopps overflow that does not use any electricity whatsoever. There are a lot of DIY overflow silencers that you can build. Some people swear by the pumps in case you lose your siphon after a power outage but I have not had any issues and mine has been running for almost a year (with it being shut off once a week for cleaning). I would be careful of using sponges that limit water flow....if you don't keep them clean you are asking for problems.

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the stand open or enclosed?

Thats tough? Usually tanks make some humming noises because of all the pumps and other devices. Eheim pumps are really quiet. Barely hear them running if at all

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dc pumps are dead silent.. You could use one for return pump and also there are dc skimmers.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some photos and a better description of what you presently have would really help get you more accurate answers.
What pumps, what brand and model of skimmer, what overflow box, plumbing sizes and arrangement etc.
There are many ways to make a system quieter but we need to know what needs silencing, modifying or replacing.

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you stated that you do not want to drill but I would suggest you re-consider. If you know that any of the sides of your tank are not tempered glass the process of drilling glass is fast and easy. It only takes a couple minutes and the result is wonderful. For a retrofit like this I would be inclined to go with a glass holes overflow, they sell everything you might need and even have some fun videos of how to drill and install the overflow.

Moving everything to a 40-50 gallon "Rope Bucket" that has been washed out rinsed well, washed again using vinegar, and then rinsed well with RO/DI water takes an hour or so but overall not a big deal. I did this for a tank move several months ago.

Provided you have a cordless drill the entire process from tear down to setup is probably about 3-4 hours. Make up a bunch of fresh salt mix and you can work a big water change in to it as well.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back