Target or broadcast Zoanthid's nutrition: what do you feed 'em?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always fed my zoas whatever I'm feeding everything else. I tend to mix it up from oysterfeast, to mysis, to reef roids ect. They do seem to react (for the most part) to any food I squirt their way. I've noticed that they don't grow as quickly when I slack off on feeding my corals.

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How fast do you grandis grow? Ive had a plug of them for 4 months and they have done nothing.

To add onto my post above, i shut everything off for at least a 1/2 hour that way none of the food blows off of them but once you turn the powerheads back on you can see on every single zoa the mucus that formed. Im assuming thats a sign that they are eating right? Not sure. Point is i feel there is great benefit in turning off all flow. They are slow eaters to begin with and if the flow blows the food off then they obviously can't eat.

I had a frag of like 3 grandis for ever but recently they have started to take off. I feed them with a pipette but I cut off like 1/4 to 3/8 off the bottom and feed them reef frenzy 1-2 times a week.

20161117_193659.jpg

20161201_213725.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to disagree with this. Reef2Reef continues to grow in daily interaction at exciting rates. In general questions asked here get solid useful answers, and we even have an awesome team of volunteers in the forum called the #reefsquad that bring their knowledge to intentionally help people with issues. R2R is growing and a lot of what keeps us getting stronger is that the Reef Squad rocks! Plus, the culture here is aimed at creating a community of members that are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Just throwing in my .02.
Do you feed your zoas?
Can tell the squad about this thread?
Thanks!
Grandis.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't feed them directly at all. They may grab something from the water column but nothing intentional.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to disagree with this. Reef2Reef continues to grow in daily interaction at exciting rates. In general questions asked here get solid useful answers, and we even have an awesome team of volunteers in the forum called the #reefsquad that bring their knowledge to intentionally help people with issues. R2R is growing and a lot of what keeps us getting stronger is that the Reef Squad rocks! Plus, the culture here is aimed at creating a community of members that are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Just throwing in my .02.
In fairness, I can see why some people might have that impression. There are so many new topics and posts being created every day I know I can't participate in everything I would like to. The fact that R2R is doing so well on a macro level might leave some posts fairly neglected despite our bests attempts.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree all you want brother, its america

Listen to the reef threads pod cast a few eposides back, gary and christine talk about this very subject about how the forums are not what they use to be.

Can someone delete all these posts about facebook, we are hijacking this thread. My fault.
No need delete!! That's fine!!!

They are all coming here with their colorful tags on the side. Like "supporter", "awards"...
That way they will answer about zoa feeding too!!!
Other people will join the thread!
Good strategy, my friend!! Let them come... Let them all come to the thread!
Lets talk zoa here!!!
Haha!:D
Aloha!
Grands.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a frag of like 3 grandis for ever but recently they have started to take off. I feed them with a pipette but I cut off like 1/4 to 3/8 off the bottom and feed them reef frenzy 1-2 times a week.

20161117_193659.jpg

20161201_213725.jpg
I like them a lot!!! So beautiful!
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fairness, I can see why some people might have that impression. There are so many new topics and posts being created every day I know I can't participate in everything I would like to. The fact that R2R is doing so well on a macro level might leave some posts fairly neglected despite our bests attempts.
Well, you can participate here!
Do you feed your zoas?
This is great!
Let billions of people come here! Let's talk about zoas!
Grandis.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that @cameronh has tons of zoas.... collector zoas, regular zoas, really high end, probably a few low end too. He's somebody who should be able to add to the conversation.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do you feed your zoas?
Can tell the squad about this thread?
Thanks!
Grandis.
You know what it is, some zoas and palys just simply do not eat. But some of the meaty palys including the grandis i feel gobble everything on contact. Now as for growth, and color, and whatnot, i feel they should be fed with nutrition packed pellets. Theyll break down easily and maybe supply the right nutrients for that particular paly opposed to lets say a frozen food

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging us in his post sends out an alert to all of us. They will be coming like a slow tide ;)
That is great!
Nice to see you all here!! Don't you guys delete those posts!! This is my thread! LOL!
Call the owners too...
Red allert! Haha!!! I love it!
Tell me more about your zoas...
Any zoa expert among you guys?
Lets enrich this thread and make it the best on zoa feeding!!!
Grandis.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you can participate here!
Do you feed your zoas?
This is great!
Let billions of people come here! Let's talk about zoas!
Grandis.
I only have a few zoas and don't feed them directly. I do add small amounts of cyclopeeze and spirulina powder daily along with phytoplankton and zooplankton twice a week. I figure they benefit from those.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe a few of our #ZoaExperts will show up. ;)

Btw, I agree with @Sabellafella. Some zoas eat and others don't. I personally broadcast feed with LRS Reef Frenzy and with Coral Frenzy.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great!
Nice to see you all here!! Don't you guys delete those posts!! This is my thread! LOL!
Call the owners too...
Red allert! Haha!!! I love it!
Tell me more about your zoas...
Any zoa expert among you guys?
Lets enrich this thread and make it the best on zoa feeding!!!
Grandis.

No worries. We don't delete posts unless the violate TOS... these don't. :) Let's see... @revhtree started out as a zoa addict in a zoa forum so he'd probably have something to add. I'm sure there are a few zoa guys out there. I'd listen to @Sabellafella up ^^there, he's really good with his corals in general. Mine grow like weeds. I had some purple one buried in the sand so that only a few polyps poked through the top of the sand. When I uncovered the rock they were on, they exploded in growth like they had saved up all the energy from food and light until that moment. It was pretty cool. I haven't fed my corals at all for a long while. Might be cool to see what happens if I start up again.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what it is, some zoas and palys just simply do not eat. But some of the meaty palys including the grandis i feel gobble everything on contact. Now as for growth, and color, and whatnot, i feel they should be fed with nutrition packed pellets. Theyll break down easily and maybe supply the right nutrients for that particular paly opposed to lets say a frozen food
Thanks for coming!
Can you please explain what are those "nutrition packed pellets" are?
Let us know what you target feed them.
Please try to specify more about the polyps you think that do not eat and the ones that actually eat...
Fell free to post pictures if you want..
Thanks,
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a few of our #ZoaExperts will show up. ;)

Btw, I agree with @Sabellafella. Some zoas eat and others don't. I personally broadcast feed with LRS Reef Frenzy and with Coral Frenzy.
Thanks... what are the ones that don't eat. I would like to see pictures because I'm totally confused with cartoon names... they can be called different names by many people...
Do you feed your polyps?
Grandis.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks... what are the ones that don't eat. I would like to see pictures because I'm totally confused with cartoon names... they can be called different names by many people...
Do you feed your polyps?
Grandis.
I don't target feed anything. I feed the tank and let those who will eat, eat. ;)

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. We don't delete posts unless the violate TOS... these don't. :) Let's see... @revhtree started out as a zoa addict in a zoa forum so he'd probably have something to add. I'm sure there are a few zoa guys out there. I'd listen to @Sabellafella up ^^there, he's really good with his corals in general. Mine grow like weeds. I had some purple one buried in the sand so that only a few polyps poked through the top of the sand. When I uncovered the rock they were on, they exploded in growth like they had saved up all the energy from food and light until that moment. It was pretty cool. I haven't fed my corals at all for a long while. Might be cool to see what happens if I start up again.
You might learn more here in this thread... we never know... This is just the first day!
If you guys take this seriously, specially those called zoa experts, people will come to share...
Grandis.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for coming!
Can you please explain what are those "nutrition packed pellets" are?
Let us know what you target feed them.
Please try to specify more about the polyps you think that do not eat and the ones that actually eat...
Fell free to post pictures if you want..
Thanks,
Grandis.
Stuff like fauna marin, sustainable aquatics, new era, coral frenzy pellets. Grandis would eat a kitchen sink if it came down to it =) .. also its hard to explain, from what ive seen, the palys like agave/candy apple/ that are larger will usually snag some food out the water and eat it. The smaller zoas usually show absolutely no interest in feedings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back