Target or broadcast Zoanthid's nutrition: what do you feed 'em?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my zoanthids with a baster once a week. I like to mix it up a bit with different types. It helps alot, I have a tank with zoas I do not target feed along with a tank that I do (which is the high end zoas) and I get thicker and quicker results than that of the non spot fed tank.

So i know the original thread later doesn't want to talk about nutrients but it can't be ignored. I don't know which all of the zoas you have it which way or which don't for you but.... Speaking to the point about the tank you broadcast feed growing better... Even if they don't eat, you still might get better growth due to more nutrients from this extra feeding which could change up your water chemistry quite a bit. There could also be other differences such as flow of lighting etc which could have quite a bit to do with growth.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i know the original thread later doesn't want to talk about nutrients but it can't be ignored. I don't know which all of the zoas you have it which way or which don't for you but.... Speaking to the point about the tank you broadcast feed growing better... Even if they don't eat, you still might get better growth due to more nutrients from this extra feeding which could change up your water chemistry quite a bit. There could also be other differences such as flow of lighting etc which could have quite a bit to do with growth.
agree. it all adds up to happy zoas.
I did have more babies pop with the mysis juice, and saw little movement on the numbers. But I totally agree, zoas are not all the same. Generally im stressing this when talking about lighting needs and all corals, but its totally possible not all of them eat with the same vigor.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These forums arn't what they use to be and im referring to any. You can hardly get people to engage in a conversation. I dont even bother asking questions on this forum, well sometimes i do, but most of the time i just post on facebook reef related groups and get TONS of response. The people who are active on this forum probably didnt respond to this thread because its been talked about already a bunch. Im with ya though.

Truthfully, I blame Facebook for the decline of these forums. Everyone is addicted to facebook and way to easy to use. You click on the app and you start seeing everything you want where as a forum has categories and sub categories.

Well I'm glad to tell you that you're mistaken! :) We are getting more posts and visits than we ever have in the history of our forum. We're even out posting RC.

Disagree all you want brother, its america

Listen to the reef threads pod cast a few eposides back, gary and christine talk about this very subject about how the forums are not what they use to be.

Can someone delete all these posts about facebook, we are hijacking this thread. My fault.

I listened to the very same podcast and they were completely wrong when they discussed R2R. I emailed Gary some data and never heard back. Also a good thing to consider is that they are affiliated with another forum.

Sorry to keep n but one more comment. The FB group may have 25,000 members but we are averaging 30,000 visits a day from 70k members.

Forums on specific subjects allow us to hold information accountable if that makes since. Also try searching FB for good reefing topics. ;)

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and I have rarely ever target fed zoanthids. If it's a small frag I am worried about I may try a little but other than that they will grow like mad given the proper tank conditions.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I have rarely ever target fed zoanthids. If it's a small frag I am worried about I may try a little but other than that they will grow like mad given the proper tank conditions.
Stay on topic Rev.. oh.. wait... :p

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These zoas don't appear to be eating to me. They appear to be slightly irritated from the "feeding" but you never see any of the skirts bringing food to the mouth. which would be clear response.
He didn't turn off the pumps... wrong!:confused:
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video shows very obvious feeding response by all the corals, food sticking to tentacles, mouth opening, feeders extending. I look especially for some sort of "sticky" factor. The ones that eat tend to let food particles stick to them. I understand the thought that some of these zoas need particles so small you can't see them. But they either have a stickiness or they don't imo.
Some have more ability to grab their food particles than others.
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Will BE.:)

I think quite a bit of that is super stition, or bad food. I really never have done it and never had poor results. Im only 8 or so years in so I could be wrong. I have had foods that my tank def didnt like, both others dont mind. LRS being the big one. weird right? its great food and well made.

totally weird, has any one put a piece of mysis on a zoa or paly just to see what happens? I have
The juice do get them to grow and reproduce. They get also bigger and love it. Specially from mysis and brine shrimps.. Zoas love that!
Grandis.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasnt attacking this forum or any other, just simply saying the forums (in general, any website) aren't what they use to be and thats my opinion regardless of stats. I personally find it hard to ask a question or start a topic and have people engage in it, maybe its just me. Because of that i use other resources to get answers when i need them. But that doesnt prevent me from checking this forum multipal times a day daily, being active and participating in threads. I said it before and ill say it again that this forum is hands down the best, period. The Rev, his staff, and the mods do a amazing job with it. Thats why i choose to donate my money to them and be a supporting member and will continue to do so. Sorry if i rubbed anyone the wrong way, that was not my intent.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasnt attacking this forum or any other, just simply saying the forums (in general, any website) aren't what they use to be and thats my opinion regardless of stats. I personally find it hard to ask a question or start a topic and have people engage in it, maybe its just me. Because of that i use other resources to get answers when i need them. But that doesnt prevent me from checking this forum multipal times a day daily, being active and participating in threads. I said it before and ill say it again that this forum is hands down the best, period. The Rev, his staff, and the mods do a amazing job with it. Thats why i choose to donate my money to them and be a supporting member and will continue to do so. Sorry if i rubbed anyone the wrong way, that was not my intent.
No worries! All good!
Some times you need to post something like you did to get some attention with other subjects.
Even the boss came here! LOL!
Thanks for that!
Now they will keep an eye in this thread day and night!!! LOL!
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back on topic, where is @joshporksandwic? I think he has a zoa or two in his tank. He may be able to provide some insight!
Yeah, hope so.
Hope many would come...
It's good to have people participating.
Everyone has contributed to a different point of view until now... Let it roll!!
Grandis.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back