Teacher Trying Replacing Display Tanks in School

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am a teacher that was placed in charge of the large display tanks at my high school. I have been desperately trying to get them back in functioning condition for the last several years. They are 3 connected freshwater tanks that add up to 600 gallons of water. These tanks are really old (I estimate that they are at least 40 years old) and the seals are starting to break down. They currently house a pacu, and some cichlids (the cichlids seem to do the best in the hard water that we have around here). I am in the process of applying for a grant to replace them, and would really love to make them in to a teaching tool. My dream plan would be to have one freshwater tank, one brackish water tank, and one reef tank. That is what has brought me to R2R. I have never had the opportunity to keep a saltwater tank but have wanted to for a long time. I have been trying to watch all of the YouTube videos I can so I can make sure that I am getting all of the right parts. I am in the application process for the grant and keep adding more and more things to the budget. There are so many thing that are different from freshwater tanks!
I have talked to my local fish store but they specialize in freshwater, and don't carry any saltwater fish or coral. However, they are being very helpful and are going to help me order everything that I need for all three tanks.

I am looking forward to reading through the forums and this great wealth of knowledge!

In case you are wondering the current plan is to put in a 300 gallon planted freshwater tank, a 175 gallon brackish tank with mangroves, and a 300 gallon reef tank. Both 300 gallon tanks will be 8 ft long.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

That sounds like an amazing project! If you have the extra time you should document it and post in a build thread! We would love to follow along.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am a teacher that was placed in charge of the large display tanks at my high school. I have been desperately trying to get them back in functioning condition for the last several years. They are 3 connected freshwater tanks that add up to 600 gallons of water. These tanks are really old (I estimate that they are at least 40 years old) and the seals are starting to break down. They currently house a pacu, and some cichlids (the cichlids seem to do the best in the hard water that we have around here). I am in the process of applying for a grant to replace them, and would really love to make them in to a teaching tool. My dream plan would be to have one freshwater tank, one brackish water tank, and one reef tank. That is what has brought me to R2R. I have never had the opportunity to keep a saltwater tank but have wanted to for a long time. I have been trying to watch all of the YouTube videos I can so I can make sure that I am getting all of the right parts. I am in the application process for the grant and keep adding more and more things to the budget. There are so many thing that are different from freshwater tanks!
I have talked to my local fish store but they specialize in freshwater, and don't carry any saltwater fish or coral. However, they are being very helpful and are going to help me order everything that I need for all three tanks.

I am looking forward to reading through the forums and this great wealth of knowledge!

In case you are wondering the current plan is to put in a 300 gallon planted freshwater tank, a 175 gallon brackish tank with mangroves, and a 300 gallon reef tank. Both 300 gallon tanks will be 8 ft long.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). You might want one for each tank, but you will only get one badge.

This might help you find people local to you in Missouri (also try FaceBook group searches):

You may be able to get donations of what you need if you can connect with some local people. Everyone loves to help kids! Maybe some of the parents are already in aquarium hobby, so you may have more untapped local resources than you realize.

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Good luck and keep us posted!

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @PistachioSkyBird ! As a fellow high school teacher with a freshwater and reef tank in my classroom, I wish you the best of luck! Both tanks are less than 30 gallons and largely self-funded, though I've been given the go-ahead to create a plan for an empty 125 gallon tank in the classroom next to me.

What subject(s) do you teach?

Here are two examples of teachers that have done a great job of incorporating large reef tank systems into their classrooms, which I am hoping to emulate:
Jon Swanson, EO Smith High School, CT: https://www.eosmithcoralproject.org/
David Bowers, Bellevue High School, Ohio: https://reefs.com/magazine/fish-tales-teachers-pets/

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Make sure you do plenty of research and try to estimate upkeep costs for the reef tank which will cost quite a bit more to maintain than a FW tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back