PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). You might want one for each tank, but you will only get one badge.

This might help you find people local to you in Missouri (also try FaceBook group searches):

You may be able to get donations of what you need if you can connect with some local people. Everyone loves to help kids! Maybe some of the parents are already in aquarium hobby, so you may have more untapped local resources than you realize.

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Good luck and keep us posted!
I was wondering about the build thread. Do I need to wait until I start building the tank to start one or can I start one while I am still planning and fund raising?

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @PistachioSkyBird ! As a fellow high school teacher with a freshwater and reef tank in my classroom, I wish you the best of luck! Both tanks are less than 30 gallons and largely self-funded, though I've been given the go-ahead to create a plan for an empty 125 gallon tank in the classroom next to me.

What subject(s) do you teach?

Here are two examples of teachers that have done a great job of incorporating large reef tank systems into their classrooms, which I am hoping to emulate:
Jon Swanson, EO Smith High School, CT: https://www.eosmithcoralproject.org/
David Bowers, Bellevue High School, Ohio: https://reefs.com/magazine/fish-tales-teachers-pets/
I teach physics, what about you?

Thanks for the websites! They have some great examples of their uses in classrooms. I might even be able to use them as some extra information in the grant!

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Make sure you do plenty of research and try to estimate upkeep costs for the reef tank which will cost quite a bit more to maintain than a FW tank.
I am working on that research right now. I know that I will need to purchase salt to do water changes and am planning on installing a RODI filter so I will have filtered water. Besides food, filter media, salt, and up keep of equipment what things should I be budgeting for?

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely start one right now. Tell your story and share some pics of these ancient tanks and details. I doubt most people have seen a tank that old! Impressive that they still hold water!

Also welcome! Looking forward to following this journey.

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely start one right now. Tell your story and share some pics of these ancient tanks and details. I doubt most people have seen a tank that old! Impressive that they still hold water!

Thank you! They are apparently old ocianics, or that is at least what the owner of the local fish store said. They are leaking through the wood trim that is holding them together!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f4e447b9-5e67-4b02-af0d-2f28e9db692c.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about the build thread. Do I need to wait until I start building the tank to start one or can I start one while I am still planning and fund raising?

As @Smoke-Town said, it's never too early so @PistachioSkyBird go ahead and start - that way you'll have a place to organize your planning and perhaps even fundraising!

Good luck to you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello! I am a teacher that was placed in charge of the large display tanks at my high school. I have been desperately trying to get them back in functioning condition for the last several years. They are 3 connected freshwater tanks that add up to 600 gallons of water. These tanks are really old (I estimate that they are at least 40 years old) and the seals are starting to break down. They currently house a pacu, and some cichlids (the cichlids seem to do the best in the hard water that we have around here). I am in the process of applying for a grant to replace them, and would really love to make them in to a teaching tool. My dream plan would be to have one freshwater tank, one brackish water tank, and one reef tank. That is what has brought me to R2R. I have never had the opportunity to keep a saltwater tank but have wanted to for a long time. I have been trying to watch all of the YouTube videos I can so I can make sure that I am getting all of the right parts. I am in the application process for the grant and keep adding more and more things to the budget. There are so many thing that are different from freshwater tanks!
I have talked to my local fish store but they specialize in freshwater, and don't carry any saltwater fish or coral. However, they are being very helpful and are going to help me order everything that I need for all three tanks.

I am looking forward to reading through the forums and this great wealth of knowledge!

In case you are wondering the current plan is to put in a 300 gallon planted freshwater tank, a 175 gallon brackish tank with mangroves, and a 300 gallon reef tank. Both 300 gallon tanks will be 8 ft long.
Prepare for maintenance and various methods of cycling. If you can, pics of the tanks will be helpful with forthcoming suggestions. Reef tank will require different equipment and test kits but can be exciting in persuing the concept of reef tanking

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on that research right now. I know that I will need to purchase salt to do water changes and am planning on installing a RODI filter so I will have filtered water. Besides food, filter media, salt, and up keep of equipment what things should I be budgeting for?
Off the top of my head things like test kits and reagents, dosing supplies and additives down the line, money for eventual failure of equipment like heaters and pumps, cleaning supplies like citric acid and glass scrapers, fragging equipment, periodic CUC replenishment, medications for qt and treatment, QT supplies, lots of towels or paper towels.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Fellow teacher here. Currently installing a 90 gallon reef in my school. Plan carefully and budget carefully. Also, put together a really nice letter and email CaribSea. They are usually very generous when it comes to helping school projects with substrate and rock. I’ve never done tanks that big, but they will probably help with something. If you write to VeeGee they will probably hook you up with a refractometer. The key is to ask for help with startup items as the majority of your money needs to go to upkeep. Write a company and ask for salt, and the RODI. In the past I got a PAR meter from Apogee. The companies in this industry are very generous. This is how I get all my projects going. Then the funds you have cover ongoing maintenance. Best of luck.

Last edited:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not rush to start a build thread. Create documentation and take photos, build content. You can stay a few months behind the build with the thread. Helps to manage time. Definitely reach out to the local community, parents, local reef club. Make sure the school's insurance covers aquariums.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am a teacher that was placed in charge of the large display tanks at my high school. I have been desperately trying to get them back in functioning condition for the last several years. They are 3 connected freshwater tanks that add up to 600 gallons of water. These tanks are really old (I estimate that they are at least 40 years old) and the seals are starting to break down. They currently house a pacu, and some cichlids (the cichlids seem to do the best in the hard water that we have around here). I am in the process of applying for a grant to replace them, and would really love to make them in to a teaching tool. My dream plan would be to have one freshwater tank, one brackish water tank, and one reef tank. That is what has brought me to R2R. I have never had the opportunity to keep a saltwater tank but have wanted to for a long time. I have been trying to watch all of the YouTube videos I can so I can make sure that I am getting all of the right parts. I am in the application process for the grant and keep adding more and more things to the budget. There are so many thing that are different from freshwater tanks!
I have talked to my local fish store but they specialize in freshwater, and don't carry any saltwater fish or coral. However, they are being very helpful and are going to help me order everything that I need for all three tanks.

I am looking forward to reading through the forums and this great wealth of knowledge!

In case you are wondering the current plan is to put in a 300 gallon planted freshwater tank, a 175 gallon brackish tank with mangroves, and a 300 gallon reef tank. Both 300 gallon tanks will be 8 ft long.
Will you have enough room for the students after the tanks are set up lol !!!

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to remember with saltwater is quarantine tanks unless you buy everything pre quarantined.
How big would you suggest the quarantine tank should be? I know that there are some spare 20 gallon tanks some where around the school. Would they be big enough?

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off the top of my head things like test kits and reagents, dosing supplies and additives down the line, money for eventual failure of equipment like heaters and pumps, cleaning supplies like citric acid and glass scrapers, fragging equipment, periodic CUC replenishment, medications for qt and treatment, QT supplies, lots of towels or paper towels.
I was looking at getting an Apex for the tank. Are its sensors good enough to replace a liquid test kit? The grant that I am applying for is a reoccurring grant so I am hoping to be able to apply for it again to get the extra funds for equipment replacement. I will definitely be adding the QT supplies in to the budget. I already have a supply of towels for the freshwater tank that is there now. You can't really under estimate the value of a good towel!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back