OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I just had a crazy idea... Senior elective science class! Write that into your Grant request!!! I wish you and your students the best of success.
That would be awesome! I have shown some of the livestreams that they do with ROVs as they are mapping the bottom of the ocean and I have had a few students show interest in marine biology. I don't know if our school is big enough for a full class just on marine biology. I know that the teacher who teaches the senior biology elective is planning on working it in to his class.

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome .
This is such a great idea .

Ive contacted the local dentist office and doctors office trying to suggest aquariums

there has been tons of research done that proves how aquariums in homes and businesses help especially those with autism or other diagnosis
I have seen this at our school. Those students are the ones who are most likely to be watching the fish when I go to feed them in the morning and they love to help feed them!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome! I have shown some of the livestreams that they do with ROVs as they are mapping the bottom of the ocean and I have had a few students show interest in marine biology. I don't know if our school is big enough for a full class just on marine biology. I know that the teacher who teaches the senior biology elective is planning on working it in to his class.
Almost, I was referring to a specific curriculum around the tanks. Chemistry, biology, mechanical, spectral (lighting), habitat restoration, animal husbandry and conservation (captive bred livestock), contaminants, and so much more. And, the tanks are the lab.

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost, I was referring to a specific curriculum around the tanks. Chemistry, biology, mechanical, spectral (lighting), habitat restoration, animal husbandry and conservation (captive bred livestock), contaminants, and so much more. And, the tanks are the lab.
I have been working on making this idea in to a club at the school. I think the new tanks will really help grow the club.

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PistachioSkyBird how's it going, any updates?
Yes! The grant proposal has been accepted but only for the minimum amount. I am working on getting a build tread going for the tanks so that I can post the link to the fundraising information. If we raise the minimum amount it will be a 3 year project to get everything up and running. Here is a picture of what it will hopefully look like when it is finished.

After looking at pricing I think we are going with the powder coated steal frame, and I think I have the whole science department on board with working it in to their lesson plans.

john her

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hello! I am a teacher that was placed in charge of the large display tanks at my high school. I have been desperately trying to get them back in functioning condition for the last several years. They are 3 connected freshwater tanks that add up to 600 gallons of water. These tanks are really old (I estimate that they are at least 40 years old) and the seals are starting to break down. They currently house a pacu, and some cichlids (the cichlids seem to do the best in the hard water that we have around here). I am in the process of applying for a grant to replace them, and would really love to make them in to a teaching tool. My dream plan would be to have one freshwater tank, one brackish water tank, and one reef tank. That is what has brought me to R2R. I have never had the opportunity to keep a saltwater tank but have wanted to for a long time. I have been trying to watch all of the YouTube videos I can so I can make sure that I am getting all of the right parts. I am in the application process for the grant and keep adding more and more things to the budget. There are so many thing that are different from freshwater tanks!
I have talked to my local fish store but they specialize in freshwater, and don't carry any saltwater fish or coral. However, they are being very helpful and are going to help me order everything that I need for all three tanks.

I am looking forward to reading through the forums and this great wealth of knowledge!

In case you are wondering the current plan is to put in a 300 gallon planted freshwater tank, a 175 gallon brackish tank with mangroves, and a 300 gallon reef tank. Both 300 gallon tanks will be 8 ft long.
Hello!!!!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build thread for this project is up! I will continue to update you guys on the project there. Thank you for all the help you have given so far!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/an-educational-display-tank-in-a-high-school.952267/

WAHOO! I can see it but your Build Thread Badge does not appear (yet). Typically it shows up automatically usually within the hour or sooner. This is the info they gave me (with link) on how to attach your build thread to your account:

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE

OP
OP
PistachioSkyBird

PistachioSkyBird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAHOO! I can see it but your Build Thread Badge does not appear (yet). Typically it shows up automatically usually within the hour or sooner. This is the info they gave me (with link) on how to attach your build thread to your account:

Once you have created a build thread then you can get your VERY FIRST USER BADGE! YAY! It's easy to do and I have created a thread that tells you how to do it here: BUILD THREAD BADGE
Thank you! I hadn't found where to put the link yet!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I hadn't found where to put the link yet!

Let me be among the first to say ... <drum roll> ...

CONGRATULATIONS on your spiffy Build Thread Badge !!!!! WAHOO!!!!

I see it now !!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back