The Topics that Interest YOU most right now!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are the topics, in the reefing hobby, that interests you the most right now? What just gets your wheels turning?

Help me help you...

giphy.gif

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like seeing the diversity of everyones tank. The questions that get asked and how its never the same especially when it comes to parameters! No tank is the same which is amazing, what works for may not work for you!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to learn about the ratios of PO4 to NO3. Seems like there is ratio that works really well for coral growth and coloration and still inhibits nuisance algae. Low numbers are not that important maybe. I would also to find information on how to help maintain those numbers and ratios.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI.

it is the Achilles heel of my set up right now. The idea of Having my sink running for 2 hours to get 5 gallons of water blows my mind. Especially since I am not doing corals.

I’ve watched the BRS tv videos. I understand how it works, I just wish there faster ways of doing it. I understand it’s importance and I’m not down playing it. I just wish it wasn’t so necessary.

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI.

it is the Achilles heel of my set up right now. The idea of Having my sink running for 2 hours to get 5 gallons of water blows my mind. Especially since I am not doing corals.

I’ve watched the BRS tv videos. I understand how it works, I just wish there faster ways of doing it. I understand it’s importance and I’m not down playing it. I just wish it wasn’t so necessary.

Perhaps check the hardness of your water source. The municipal water departments often have it published on their web site.

Here in north Georgia we get less than 40 grains of hardness. Because of that, I was able to eliminate the RO stage, which is also the bottleneck flow wise.

I have multiple 10 inch cartridges with pre filter, activated carbon, refillable DI resin, refillable DI resin & final polishing filter.

Because the canister connections are 3/4 inch, I can make DI water at a gallons per minute rate. It comes out at 0 TDS.

If your water source has a high TDS you can still do this, but expect to change the DI resin more often, perhaps a lot more often, & to spend more $$$.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps check the hardness of your water source. The municipal water departments often have it published on their web site.

Here in north Georgia we get less than 40 grains of hardness. Because of that, I was able to eliminate the RO stage, which is also the bottleneck flow wise.

I have multiple 10 inch cartridges with pre filter, activated carbon, refillable DI resin, refillable DI resin & final polishing filter.

Because the canister connections are 3/4 inch, I can make DI water at a gallons per minute rate. It comes out at 0 TDS.

If your water source has a high TDS you can still do this, but expect to change the DI resin more often, perhaps a lot more often, & to spend more $$$.

water hardness is 9.6 where I am

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beneficial bacteria.

How to promote the good bacteria? What is the best way to introduce bacteria? What kind of work can bacteria do?

I am such a bio media freak when it comes to freshwater. On my 90 gallon planted I have 2 canister filters. One is an Oase just filled with one sponge and the rest bio media. The other is a Cobalt EXT also filled with bio media. I think I have like 5lbs total of Seachem matrix and like 2-3lbs of Fluval generic bio media.

I’m not sure if it’s the same for saltwater but I can’t see why it wouldn’t be.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a mixed reef right.

Stocking non traditional tankmates together (angels, butterflies, etc. in a reef with clams) - can it work, how to stack the odds in your favor.

Lighting spectrum (and what lights/brands do what...UV, wavelengths, color temps). Last time I was in the hobby we ran 10k "daylight bulbs" with 18-20k actinics, it was sooo much easier to decide than what I am seeing today.

DSBs and making them work in a mixed reef (i.e. finding the flow sweet spot/style than can support everything and not make the tank a dust storm)

Learning the science/chem and finding the material in a way I can understand...I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the topics, in the reefing hobby, that interests you the most right now? What just gets your wheels turning?

Help me help you...

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

@revhtree I couldn't resist.

Last edited:

lilkiwi930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am completely new to this site, but I love seeing the wide varieties of everybody's tanks. What they have accomplished. Including I def need some reading on how to get rid of critter/hitch hikers/aiptasias and such. But love hearing new ideas to keep your tank at tip top shape. ;Bookworm;)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The massive time differential between when a reef forums says you are cycled vs what a LFS uses to handle stock shipped to them, how they keep it alive for resale, or any marine aquarium convention where 500 reefs have never failed to start on friday since 1993.

*the resounding claim online is that reef convention cycles are weak

and to that I ask, they'll keep fifty thousand of their best fish and corals in a weak cycle?

then silence.

Im fascinated how in forums the wait time is actually growing, not getting shorter per the moore's law of reef cycling

in real life things are speeding up but not in forums.

reef forums and cycle article authors have one default program: you will add ammonia to your rocks (any kind of rock, doesnt matter)

you will then wait until 3x api tests allow you to reef. if you start sooner, all your life will die. expect about 2 weeks to 1 month or longer for every type of start, and no you cannot know the date ahead of time.

if it worked like that no lfs could thrive and no convention can start on time and no reef could move homes and no reef could be deep cleaned without being 'nuked'. the inflexibility of reef forum posters makes a nice snake oil filter but at times its also terribly terribly dated info, Im talking dated like 1978 info which is all reef forum cycling info. we are 8 tracking it guys in a world of fiber lighting light speed ability.

every penny that drives reefing economy doesnt follow any rules set by forum habits, thats awesome to me. there's good science in the heart of it all; ability to control reefs at all times from dying is a prime benefit of knowing actual cycling rules

Last edited:

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very broad strokes as far as topics are concerned, but I’ve been reading a bunch of old salt content. And I find that I agree with their focus on the biological rather than the technological. I suspect that’s because I’m a product of a medical family, and also due to being such a big picture-everything-is-interdependent-spectrum that I’m a trained philosopher and could tell you more about history that you’ll think it’s awesome (coincidence, man made choices, etc)

Anyway, I feel like if more newbies like myself looked at their tank as a complete ecosystem rather than chasing individual numbers, or viewing the uglies as individual crises rather than part of the path, we’d have more people sticking around.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back