Thoughts on Pyramid Butterflyfish, are they worth it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting, so do you have a pyramid permanently living in the QT?
No, but if I’m bringing in fish, I almost always have pyramids in the order. Batfish, spade fish and Pomacanthus angels also work well.
Jay

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but if I’m bringing in fish, I almost always have pyramids in the order. Batfish, spade fish and Pomacanthus angels also work well.
Jay
Ah gotcha, so I bet you have an army of them by now! I love pyramid so much I can have a whole school of them if I can so I might have to learn from your example!

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the one with the question about the white scales turning silvery in some areas. The basic responses I got were yes we see them, and no they don't seem to be an issue. This was my same conclusion, so I am not going to sweat it, since mine eat like pigs, have put on a huge amount of weight (all three came in with their spines visible) and have grown noticeably.

I agree they have gotten disproportionally more pricey recently. Once established they are beautiful and easy additions, that don't bother other fish, all pluses in my book. I wouldn't even consider buying any without a proper/complete quarantine regiment.

Just a side note, I think the terminology gets confusing by saying there are black zosters and yellow zoster, especially considering the variation of the head on the), when really only the black and white version is actually P. zoster. Also IME the head color on the pyramids changes with "mood", time of day, etc. Really settled "happy" pyramids all have dark brown heads. BradleyJSyphus has some for several years, check them out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the one with the question about the white scales turning silvery in some areas. The basic responses I got were yes we see them, and no they don't seem to be an issue. This was my same conclusion, so I am not going to sweat it, since mine eat like pigs, have put on a huge amount of weight (all three came in with their spines visible) and have grown noticeably.

I agree they have gotten disproportionally more pricey recently. Once established they are beautiful and easy additions, that don't bother other fish, all pluses in my book. I wouldn't even consider buying any without a proper/complete quarantine regiment.

Just a side note, I think the terminology gets confusing by saying there are black zosters and yellow zoster, especially considering the variation of the head on the), when really only the black and white version is actually P. zoster. Also IME the head color on the pyramids changes with "mood", time of day, etc. Really settled "happy" pyramids all have dark brown heads. BradleyJSyphus has some for several years, check them out!
Thank you! I've seen some in the wild with really bright yellow heads, but again just because they are in the wild doesn't always mean that's the norm. Cant agree more on all the positives you've listed for this fish. And honestly I think they are fine as long as they are well quarantined.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I've seen some in the wild with really bright yellow heads, but again just because they are in the wild doesn't always mean that's the norm. Cant agree more on all the positives you've listed for this fish. And honestly I think they are fine as long as they are well quarantined.

Interesting... could be a regional variation. Where was this? Was it groups? Singles?

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my pair, probably the best addition yet. As for reed safe...... I did have one eat my frogspawn. I watched it pick away at it over several days just to make sure. The second one never touched it. Still worth having these guys over frogspawn.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my pair, probably the best addition yet. As for reed safe...... I did have one eat my frogspawn. I watched it pick away at it over several days just to make sure. The second one never touched it. Still worth having these guys over frogspawn.
Interesting to hear. I love mine. they are in with a bunch of corals sps, lps, and soft and they don't touch any of them. Even though I wished they would have eaten the softies as my pulsing xenia is becoming a tank weed.

U

User1

View Badges
Interesting to hear. I love mine. they are in with a bunch of corals sps, lps, and soft and they don't touch any of them. Even though I wished they would have eaten the softies as my pulsing xenia is becoming a tank weed.

I've read a few cases by hobbyists that the Zosters(?) will clear Xenia. I can't confirm although I was going to try a pair of pyramid and zosters in case one of them would keep mine in check. That and a trio of Milletseed's once BIOTA gets another batch in.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramids wiped my tank clear of Xenia in a few days. Have some still in the sump but the display is clear of it. They also ate clove polyps.

U

User1

View Badges
Pyramids wiped my tank clear of Xenia in a few days. Have some still in the sump but the display is clear of it. They also ate clove polyps.

Good to know. My BIOTA captive raised/bred matted filefish was keeping it managed but once it went after a new frogspawn frag I had to trade it. It also went after my duncan. Anyway I have wanted a pyramid pair with a zoster mixed in, or the other way around with a pyramid.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine, got the most comments on my pair. But......they have to go. Ate a frogspawn, picking at my clam, picking at a rock flower anemone (seriously, the short tentacles) and and picked clean and acan.

Not sure if I wasn't feeding enough or what (3 times a day, pellets, frozen, all high quality) but now one has a taste for some soft coral.... Trap is going in this weekend and back to the LFS.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a trio a long time before re-homing them when I moved 4 years ago. I loved them. Very hardy once you get healthy specimens and get them through QT. Mine bothered no corals, inverts or other fish. They were pretty much perfect reef tank dwellers. They are voracious eaters and do add a good bit to the bioload.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a few cases by hobbyists that the Zosters(?) will clear Xenia. I can't confirm although I was going to try a pair of pyramid and zosters in case one of them would keep mine in check. That and a trio of Milletseed's once BIOTA gets another batch in.
I have a pair of pyramid in my tank... but I think I'm keeping them fed too well they aren't chumping xenia down as I hoped them to

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine, got the most comments on my pair. But......they have to go. Ate a frogspawn, picking at my clam, picking at a rock flower anemone (seriously, the short tentacles) and and picked clean and acan.

Not sure if I wasn't feeding enough or what (3 times a day, pellets, frozen, all high quality) but now one has a taste for some soft coral.... Trap is going in this weekend and back to the LFS.
Wow you might be the first non-reef safe pyramid butterfly case I know of! so sorry to hear! knock on wood mine haven't touched any of my corals (even though I want them to help out with xenia control)

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you might be the first non-reef safe pyramid butterfly case I know of! so sorry to hear! knock on wood mine haven't touched any of my corals (even though I want them to help out with xenia control)
I know. I wanted them to work so bad. My wife said she saw them picking at the anemone and LPS. I said "no way"........ After several comments from her I sat down in front of the tank and after 10-15 minutes and the butterfly eyeing the anemone, he took a few nips. And the next morning it was nipping at the frogspawn before the lights came on.

IF I can get them out (I think it's just one really nipping) I hope to try them later down the road.

Twosixpax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been keeping both pyramid and zoster for years - 7 currently. They are robust once established but can be tricky to ship and acclimate.
Hi,

Do you keep the pyramids and zosters in the same tank? How many do you have and do they get along?

Thanks!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back