Thoughts on Pyramid Butterflyfish, are they worth it?

willisd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any aggression seems completely gone and the the new pyramids seem to have learned about nori as well. I haven’t seen that listed anywhere online but I won’t complain.

I took a video during the day that shows how the pyramid trio has brought out the other fish to school more naturally. Very neat behavior.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any aggression seems completely gone and the the new pyramids seem to have learned about nori as well. I haven’t seen that listed anywhere online but I won’t complain.

I took a video during the day that shows how the pyramid trio has brought out the other fish to school more naturally. Very neat behavior.

It’s rare in the wild to find true carnivores - they all feed on some form of vegetation to help with the digestion of the meat. Then with herbivores they often feed on some form of meat to get any minerals and such they don’t get from vegetation.

This is often seen in captivity with fish being ‘trained’ into eating nori as well as frozen meat (Although this is generally a natural instinct to eat some sort of algae as well as meat).

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a black zoster and yellow pyramid in my 220g for over four years. Lost the black zoster about a month ago, and just lost the yellow pyramid today. They were my favorite fish, so I am thinking of replacing them. They seemed to decline for a day or two, and then were gone. Everything else in the tank (about 10 other fish) are doing well, so I don't think it's the tank. Anyone have any thoughts on lifespan? I've seen references that say 5-7 years in captivity. They were both about 5" when they died, but I have no idea how old they really were.

mmotown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WillISD...I see that you are in Ft. Worth. I am in Desoto. Where did you get your PA from? I got 3 from NYAquatics and they all died by the next morning....

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back