Thoughts on Pyramid Butterflyfish, are they worth it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still 7 .... they get along fine. I have a big tank though.
We have a group of pyramids and zoster in our 90,000 reef. I tried adding five more pyramids and they chased them until we had to remove them. Completely unexpected.

Jay

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is curious. Mine are too busy eating to bother any newcomers.

trout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single pyramid butterflyfish in my tank. Prior to adding it to my display tank, I quarantined it in CP (10.33 mg/L) over ten days followed by two courses of PraziPro and finally two-week observation period.

It is a very healthy specimen. It ate eagerly even during the CP treatment. It does not touch any of my sps corals. However, it seems to nip at a photosynthetic gorgonian without any long lasting damage to the coral. That said, it killed another variety of gorgonian.

Two sections of its scales got darker (almost black) exactly in the same spots at each side of its body. Furthermore, its scales on its body look as if they have dropped off. I do not know whether this is something to worry about.

The fish during quarantine

The fish in the display tank

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have 1 YT, 1 Tomini, 1Potters, 1 clown, 1 hawk fish, 1 cleaner, 1 black Pyramid and 1 yellow pyramid in a 200g SPS dominated system.
The second last addition was the Zoster. Observation only to display. Eats like a herd of pigs. Model citizen , well until introduced to the yellow pyramid...
Anyways, I bought 2 yellow pyramids, ick, 1 survivor and bought another 2 yellow pyramids, lost both neoedenia. When Ifinally introduced the yellow into the display, I had significant immediate hazing by the Zoster. I put in a tank separator for 1 month. Now 2 weeks later there is still a mild struggle for dominance between the two. I love those fish, but it took too much , 3 dead fish, to one to this. So I will not reembark on this journey.
Did anyone else observe concerns to introduce a yellow to a zoster pyramid?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been looking for some for the past year and i can never find them. Anyone got any leads? I would like to get atleast 3 in a 230 gallon

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been looking for some for the past year and i can never find them. Anyone got any leads? I would like to get atleast 3 in a 230 gallon
If you look at exporter's stocklists you'll see something interesting - they'll list like 20 coral beauties, 120 yellow coris and then 3 pyramids. It seems they come in, but in dribbles. Have you tried Live Aquaria? I also think that some of the prequarantined vendors can order fish for you. More expensive, but well worth it with this species if you typically don't quarantine yourself.

Jay

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Go to LiveAquaria and do a search for Pyrimid Butterfly. Don't just go to the butterfly section and look for them listed. They may not be listed. Do a search. They will come up. After that look on the page. It will say "notify me when in stock" enter your email address and they will send you a notification. If you want 3 of them, you better be ready to order. They go fast.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you Pyrimid owners ever seen yours get full? I never have. They are fast eating machines. Even after a accidental over feed of brine or mysis his stomach never even looks full. You could go broke feeding these if you feed them all they could eat.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you Pyrimid owners ever seen yours get full? I never have. They are fast eating machines. Even after a accidental over feed of brine or mysis his stomach never even looks full. You could go broke feeding these if you feed them all they could eat.
Yeah, I've never seen a "potbelly" on my pyramids. I wonder - since they are open water plankton grazers, and feed sporadically throughout the whole day, maybe they just never overeat? Think of a grazing sheep - always looks the same, but a predatory lion gets a huge belly after a kill.

Jay

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Pyramid Butterflyfishes Right for your tank?
2020-09-30 stevenliu9

Thank you for joining me today on this discussion! Steven here.
Love to chat about Pyramid butterfly fish with everyone. Have you had them? Are they on your stock list?
What are your experiences with them?

Please feel free to skip the reading if you prefer watching video:

Currently the butterflyfish family consists of three main groups divided into 12 genus. At one point the butterflyfish were all considered part of the angelfish family. Overtime scientists separated the two by a very specific feature- the gill spine. Those with the spine remained within the angelfish family, and those without, are migrated into the butterflyfish family.

15324909443_914df9ca49_z-copy.jpg

Gill spine illustrated here on a blueface angel

With the exception of those in the genus genicanthus, almost all angelfishes are labeled as “NOT reef safe” as their varied diet may include many crustaceans, soft or large polyps stony corals, or even sometimes small polyp stony corals. That said, many hobbyists have success keeping angelfish in mixed reef tank with very minimal harm to their corals and inverts.

Butterfly fish on the other hand, are almost all guaranteed to nip at your precious corals and pick on inverts. Except for one- the pyramid butterflyfish.

The pyramid butterfly fish, hemithaurichthys comes in two different color morphs, the species zoster has the black head and tail with a silver mid portion, while the polylepis has the yellow head (some had darker head than others) and tail with silver mid portion. Both are model citizens of the reef top since they are primarily planktivores.

species_dd_57bbf89812671.w1300.h866_1024x1024.jpg

The yellow pyramid butterflyfish. Depends on mood, physical condition, and geographic origin, some may have darker face than others.

I first fell in love with this fish when I snorkeled in Hawaii. In my opinion, the pyramid butterflyfish is the #3 symbolic Hawaiian reef fish behind the yellow tang and potter’s angelfish. They are slick in body shape, beautifully bright, has great personality and can be kept in groups in aquarium. They are peaceful. Most fishes will ignore them and they will not start wars with others. Easy to feed and maintain. And like I said, reef safe in my personal experience. As you can see in my video, I have two currently living in my sps farm tank.

OK maybe they aren’t 100% reef safe depends on what kind of coral. The truth is, my intention of getting them in the first place was hoping they’d clear up my pulsing xenia in the tank. I have heard legends of pyramid butterflyfish eating pulsing xenia (but won’t touch anything else). Turns out, the ones I have won’t even touch xenia. (If you know of another fish that won’t touch SPS, LPS, but will happily devour xenia, please leave comment and let me know).

One caveat about these fish- I have had multiple pyramid buterflyfish shipments arriving with damaged head/mouth area. And unfortunately once there is damage around their mouth it seems to be a one way ticket to the graveyard with nothing to remedy it. I am not certain if they just don’t ship well, or perhaps some kind of disease (fortunately I quarantine all my fish). But if you have similar experience with your fish on rotten mouth/head from shipment, please leave a comment and share your wisdom.

So are pyramid butterflyfish right for your tank? Personally I would highly recommend them. For as long as you have enough room in your tank. I won’t comment what size I think is enough for them because I don’t want to start wars, but I will urge everyone to use best judgement from the humane stand point of view. And in case you don’t already have a cover for your tank, won’t be a bad idea to get one because they can and will jump when startled (which is easily). Once I simply sat up from my chair and even that movement was enough to make them jump.

I have also heard some fellow reefers raised the issue of internal parasites with these fish. Personally I quarantine my fish so I have not encountered that issue. But if you have had experience dealing with it and believe they are more prone to parasite than others, please leave a comments to share your thoughts.

They eat like pigs and really aren’t picky at all. They are peaceful, for the most part reef safe, and can be kept in groups. If room allows, you should definitely consider getting multiples as multiples of fish in this size aren’t usually common (you can’t do that with most angels or tangs, unless you have a massive tank).

Happy to hear everyone’s opinion and experiences with this gorgeous fish!

My goal is to have a LPS only tank with a derasa clam. Would a pyramid butterfly fish be safe to have in the tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single pyramid butterflyfish in my tank. Prior to adding it to my display tank, I quarantined it in CP (10.33 mg/L) over ten days followed by two courses of PraziPro and finally two-week observation period.

It is a very healthy specimen. It ate eagerly even during the CP treatment. It does not touch any of my sps corals. However, it seems to nip at a photosynthetic gorgonian without any long lasting damage to the coral. That said, it killed another variety of gorgonian.

Two sections of its scales got darker (almost black) exactly in the same spots at each side of its body. Furthermore, its scales on its body look as if they have dropped off. I do not know whether this is something to worry about.

The fish during quarantine

The fish in the display tank

Do you still have all three butterflies today and did/do they get along? In specific I mean C. rostratum, the Forcipiger (I’m assuming flavissimus) and H. polylepsis

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with butterflies is even if they are in multiples, they don’t seem to change sex so we never know who is male and who is female. This is unlike angels. Getting multiples takes luck, as others have demonstrated, more so than fish that are hermaphrodites.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for you guys that have one with meaty LPS and nippers? I love this fish and its been on my wish list for a while now but as meat corals do come 1st.
I’ve never owned a pyramid in a Reef (Just in a FOWLR). My closest “experiment” was with a CBB in a reef and it is loving it, thrives off of the aiptasia that grows from the large specimen in the back.
Never nipped a coral (I’ve had montis, stags, LPS varieties and Softies and none are touched or behave differently).

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never owned a pyramid in a Reef (Just in a FOWLR). My closest “experiment” was with a CBB in a reef and it is loving it, thrives off of the aiptasia that grows from the large specimen in the back.
Never nipped a coral (I’ve had montis, stags, LPS varieties and Softies and none are touched or behave differently).

I also love the CBB and butterflies in general but I think the CBB is more of a risk to talking a liking to meaty LPS so the pyramid is the next option.
glad yous is doing great!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also love the CBB and butterflies in general but I think the CBB is more of a risk to talking a liking to meaty LPS so the pyramid is the next option.
glad yous is doing great!
I would say the key to butterflies in a reef is giving them some of that natural diet, feed them the odd polyp or two if it’s a corallivorous butterfly, feed it a pest anemone if it’s a CBB or Long Nose (Forcipiger).

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept 15 or so in reefs, with no problems. Same with H. zoster. They are very hardy, but seem to come in dirty from wholesalers every time I get them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back