Times have changed - Very disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big box stores have been doing this for decades. Walmart/target/(insert any other one) orders big batches of TVs and electronics specifically for Black Friday that they "mark down" from $1,200 to $500. But those TVs never actually were priced at $1,200 anywhere. People think they're buying TVs that they normally sell for $1,200, but what they're really buying is a Black Friday Special TV that is only sold on Black Friday and is actually worth $500. You don't get deals shopping on Black Friday, you just get manipulated and taken advantage of.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase prices and pay more? Like everyone else is doing. I don't understand how this is a difficult concept.
You telling me 44$+ a hour isn't enough + health and welfare, for skilled labor? I competitively bid jobs, my labor cost are factored in. I pay union wages due to prevailing wage laws in my state.

BWAHAHAHA.... Seriously my man, you made me laugh. I have guys now that do just fine but are aging out. Trying to teach another generation is the issue, youngsters don't wanna do blue collar work.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be considered- there are coupon codes out there but the question is 15% off of what pricing. . . .. Everyday pricing or the ones just increased before coupon went out.
15% off everyday pricing.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People think they're buying TVs that they normally sell for $1,200, but what they're really buying is a Black Friday Special TV that is only sold on Black Friday and is actually worth $500.
If it was actually worth $500 then they would be selling it to you for $1000. That $1,200 TV marked down to $500 is only actually worth $250.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You telling me 44$+ a hour isn't enough + health and welfare, for skilled labor? I competitively bid jobs, my labor cost are factored in. I pay union wages due to prevailing wage laws in my state.

BWAHAHAHA.... Seriously my man, you made me laugh. I have guys now that do just fine but are aging out. Trying to teach another generation is the issue, youngsters don't wanna do blue collar work.
Union Stationary Engineer here. I've trained 4 guys in as many years, none stayed. Cushy job, many perks, amazing wages. Their main complaint? "You mean I have to work every other weekend"?

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Union Stationary Engineer here. I've trained 4 guys in as many years, none stayed. Cushy job, many perks, amazing wages. Their main complaint? "You mean I have to work every other weekend"?
So are these guys unemployed or did they find a better job? I mean,I aready know the answer to that but I don't think you do apparently.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Young folks work? Like jobs and not being 'influencers'? Preposterous! My side hustle business, I can't hire to save my life, it's blue collar mechanical work and I'll train ya. Pays 40+$ a hour, but getting someone to show up to interview and pass a drug test is hell.

I'm drifting hard off point, but I get where your coming from.
Oh I hear you and totally agree. My son in law had a high school degree but not the sharpest tool in the toolbox. He was good with his hands though and had interst in engineering. Worked some entry level jobs while taking some night college courses and putting himself through engineering courses getting certification. Eventually landed at an aerospace company where he completed his college degree while working and has now become a mid level manager making good income. He is part of a select group that gets to board B21, B2,F35, etc...hard work and perseverance is what got him to his engineering level now. I give him a ton of credit but he is becoming the minority now and the individuals you describe are becoming the majority.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funnily enough, when your parents (or you, depending on how old you are) were kids, a man working a 9-5 at a factory doing unskilled labor could buy a house and support a family of 4 with nothing more than a middle school education.

as far as making a few bucks while at school, and if you want to make this a generational thing, blame the boomers for hiking up the cost of college 500% and making a degree necessary for all white-collar jobs.
True but you touched on a key point that is no longer en vogue. "Working 9 to 5" and it was hard work as my family were farmers and worked in the steel mills.

You can view my other post about hard work versus college degree too.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My side hustle is titled as a stationery engineer. We maintain passenger boarding bridges (jetways) & associated ancillary equipment at a few smaller airports, good pay but occasionally lousy hours (nights & weekends) and travel.

I get it, the hours can be lousy, but I'm not killing ya and your availability is as much as you want it to be.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i fell for the hype when i first started my SW journey a year ago…inflation and price gouging has made me appreciate local reefers even more than i already do.

i will patiently wait for the next RAP, and marketplace for local, more affordable prices

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, it makes me think of this classic...

9e34c856-dda7-477a-b4b4-d10f3f723f51_text.gif
If it were easy everyone would do it. I applaud the person who works their way up. I have met a lot of stupid people with degrees, a lot! If you think it is an unworthy job try doing it. Maybe we need to quit looking down on fast food workers and start considering it a career path. There should be no shame it it, they are working at least. They kept all our fat faces fed throughout Covid and dealt with a lot of ungrateful rude people.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were easy everyone would do it. I applaud the person who works their way up. I have met a lot of stupid people with degrees, a lot! If you think it is an unworthy job try doing it. Maybe we need to quit looking down on fast food workers and start considering it a career path. There should be no shame it it, they are working at least. They kept all our fat faces fed throughout Covid and dealt with a lot of ungrateful rude people.
I never dissed the job, just was making a statement out of jest. Good on someone for making the grind as someone has to do it. My gripe is the entry level shouldn't be paying like management.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It appears that this thread has moved well beyond the sub-forum topic where it was originally placed, so we are moving the thread to the lounge.

Two friendly reminders - first, please be nice with your comments, focus on the issues, and avoid personal insults. Secondly, the R2R terms of service notes that "This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors". While we understand the desire to discuss the pricing trends and provide general warnings to be wary while choosing to take advantage of "sales", please avoid venting toward specific vendors. If you have an issue with a seller, please consider the vendor feedback section and other available means to address the issue.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone here is looking down to shame them but don't come into these high school first time jobs and think you should be getting paid $25 an hour with full benefits and a short time later think you are a manager now watching over 4 employees and need to be able to buy your dream home and take care of 4 kids.

Yes, some do find a career path there as they work their way into the corporate office and the corporate ladder and I applaud them but pay your dues accordingly don't expect to have a dream salary while overseeing the night crew of 4.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My apologies for going off topic and 'killing' the thread. :(

No worries! I think we can all agree that this thread isn't a fit in the SPS coral forum. For clarification, this thread hasn't been moved out of view, but has been moved to a seemingly more appropriate area.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are these guys unemployed or did they find a better job? I mean,I aready know the answer to that but I don't think you do apparently.
Funny story, I actually do know what happened to these guys, because we still keep in touch.
And you saying you know the answer, doesn't mean you know the answer....
Yes, two of the four are unemployed.
One works at a dispensary, although it turned out different than he'd hoped.
and one has had three jobs since, and for various reasons left them all.

But really, that's not what this thread is about... so let's bring it back around One... More.... Time....

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dissed the job, just was making a statement out of jest. Good on someone for making the grind as someone has to do it. My gripe is the entry level shouldn't be paying like management.

I don't think anyone here is looking down to shame them but don't come into these high school first time jobs and think you should be getting paid $25 an hour with full benefits and a short time later think you are a manager now watching over 4 employees and need to be able to buy your dream home and take care of 4 kids.

Yes, some do find a career path there as they work their way into the corporate office and the corporate ladder and I applaud them but pay your dues accordingly don't expect to have a dream salary while overseeing the night crew of 4.
Agree with that. Store manager in California maybe 100K.

We do need to change our attitude about these jobs though. Unfortunately cute high school girls aren't doing them like they did in the 80's, ah the good old days. I did my fast food time and HATED it. I am not cut out for the restaurant jobs although plop my 80's self in one today and I would be considered a superstar. I got teased my entire life till my Dad died for getting fired from McDonalds. I didn't want to cut my long feathered hair in the 80's lol - no hair now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back