trying my hand at breeding clowns

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so after 15 years of reef keeping i am changing it up. it came to me when i looked at my 12 year old false perc and said to myself what a resilient fish. this fish has survived many moves , tank crashes, power outages where other tanks mates have died. i have two young children who flock to the tanks filled with clownfish at the lfs and said to myself let me try raising these guys.

i wanna say that im doing this for purely the pleasure but i will be honest if i could sell a few it would be great too.

so i hope im starting off well in this venture of mine, i have bought. the 2 books everyone talks about about rearing clownfish and am patiently awaiting them to arrive before i go any further.

i hope that you guys can help me with my questions and let me in on your tips and tricks with this. i plan on making this a fun project with my older son and want to succeed.

i would like to show you my commitment to reef keeping and preserving corals as my driving force to raise clowns, so i am attaching a quick blurp and pics of my reef.

i hope to do a step by step build of everything i do, so please be patient as i wanna do it right, i thank everyone in advance that will he me along the way..

Filip (Frezel's) Reef Tank

picturesnovember169.jpg

I have been asked to take pics of my Display tank so i did today enjoy.
Introduction:
I started this hobby over 15 years ago with a 55 gallon tank and slowly acquired more tanks around my house starting with a nano then a frag tank until i finally moved to a 120 AGA RR tank about 2 years ago. It was well over do as my 55 was splitting at the seems with all my corals. Once i gathered all the equipment erection of the tank went up quickly and soon i noticed the tank was really empty lol. So i started gathering more corals In all my years i have noticed that reefers are in a hurry to fill there tanks that they end up buying junk and filling up there tanks. To have the best possible reef the trick is to go slow, join a great Reef forum like renegade reefers and learn before buying. Having a vision of what you like will help you save money from buying things twice.

System Equipment:
TANK: 120 Gallon AGA Dual Reef Ready Tank
STAND: 120 Gallon Black pine stand and DIY canopy
LIGHTING: (Main Tank) 2 x 250 watt Metal Halides XM's 20K
LIGHTING: (Sump) 96 watt 50/50 Power compact Coralife 24 inch fixture
COOLING: I use a fan over my sump, and a fan in my hood
SKIMMER: ASM G3 skimmer with SEDRA 5000 pump
RETURN PUMP: Panworld 100x-x external pump
SUMP: 30 Gallon breeder
HEATER: WON titanium heater
MISC: I have an aquacontroller JR. that runs the tank, I have a JBJ auto top off, and 2 aqualifter that dose the tank ALK and CA.

I hope you enjoy my tank and i hope i captured it well, i will try to take some pics under only actinics.

picturesnovember175-1.jpg

picturesnovember172.jpg

picturesnovember135.jpg

picturesnovember138.jpg

picturesnovember062.jpg

picturesnovember063.jpg

picturesnovember064.jpg

picturesnovember065.jpg

picturesnovember066.jpg

picturesnovember068.jpg

picturesnovember069.jpg

picturesnovember071.jpg

picturesnovember072.jpg

picturesnovember074.jpg

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your breeding! Also you have one of the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen! Those lights make your fish and corals look stunning

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys im excited to get started im trying to figure out how i am gonna plumb the tanks, also how many i should atart out with i was gonna do like 3 x 10 gallon tank and plumb that into a 40 gallon sump. i am gonna be limited for space at first until i learn how to bei effeciant at raising them, any ideas of a plumbing schematics. actually ill need help settingit all up lol.

might be easier to tell you what i have,

i have 2 x 40 gallon breeders and some 10 gallon tanks, i have powerheads and a hagen 500 hang on the back filter currently. i have some power compact lights and leds lights.i have some airpunps somwhere in my box of fish stuff.

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good equipment list so far. I would look into a good skimmer and maybe some bio balls or k1 media.
I hope you don't mind I tagging along, no intention of derailing your thread. Because I'm also thinking of trying the breeding as well. Question: Why the bio balls or the ki media instead of live rock in the sump? What skimmer would you recommend?

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I.ordered bio balls on eBay and bags there in my sump now loading up with yummy bacteria, I just read a thread u had and am thinkig about buying 20l tanks Instead and splitting he tanks up need to figure out a good way to plumb them so they are easy to take out for cleaning and or maintenance

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you don't mind I tagging along, no intention of derailing your thread. Because I'm also thinking of trying the breeding as well. Question: Why the bio balls or the ki media instead of live rock in the sump? What skimmer would you recommend?
Atb is in my opinion the best on the market. I run a custom elegance pro on my system and it kicks butt. Live rock is very expensive and very difficult to maintain. The surface area in the k1 or bio balls is much greater. I actually would of went with the k1 media if I was starting all over but hind site is always 20/20

Just Clownin Around

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a itech then go with that. I have run both of these amongst others and nothing compared to them. If you have a tight budget then get a reef octo. I would stay away from seaside aquatics they are pieces of junk and there service is just as bad.
Only one I have not run is a bk but heard good things about them as well

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whooooo I don't have ATB money! Once I have your kind of money, then we can buy an ATB skimmer! So the skimmer should be rated at what?

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be lurking in the back round so ask any questions you would like.

thanks i appreciate that any tips on plumbing tanks? petco has a sale every sp often on tanks gonna jump on 20 l tanks, my inexperience will come in when i plumb the tanks for example the over flows and inlet pipes not sure what each tank should have as far as flow and return i dont wanna blast the fry and dont wanna suck them away either but i would think they should be part of the same system right?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome display. following along on your breeding journey...

also, you might wanna start a tank thread for your display tank on the member's tank forum as it is an awesome tank to share with everyone. :)

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also skimming tank wount affect the phyto or rots in the system when u feed hatched fry? or is the skimmer not used on the fry system

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome display. following along on your breeding journey...

also, you might wanna start a tank thread for your display tank on the member's tank forum as it is an awesome tank to share with everyone. :)

Thanks btw

OP
OP
F

frezel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found a guy here who has fresh rotiferrs , just need to buy some phyto can u recomend one for me somehting maybe frozen or with a long shelf life, gonna raise rotifers to feed tank and get use to growing them

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back