We all hate them, Dinos! I have a cure...

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would encourage anyone to try my treatment. I know it works and I'm excited to see it work for others too.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been a week. dinos unchanged.

ive ordered a pretty awesome microscope. i almost went with an inverted fluoro microscope but my wife wouldnt have it.

i have a feeling a fluorometer is in my future though. that i will need for other things.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, there's gold in that there tank! At least it maybe dieing

actually thats the main reason i got waste away. i shut my fuge light off and dosed peroxide and gha started. which is great because they can just eat whatever dinos want.

the seeing-if-it-would-kill-dinos was just a bonus.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O ok, I didn't even know you had a GHA problem.

nah. was just a tuft here and there when i shut the fuge down. i just wanted to see what waste away would do.

if you wanna kill gha. just OD on gfo. they will be white in 72 hours. lol

-maybe your corals too

oh... and my nitrate went byebye.

saw some paling on one of my sps....

image.jpg

yup... nothing on my red sea nitrate kit

Last edited:
OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 150 gallon wc may of helped that too. Isn't that like half your water volume Russ?

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So who is next to let me help them cure their dino problem? 3 days is all you will need to make your life and tank a lot more enjoyable! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this method without covering my tank but with lights out. The tank is in a darkish area of the house. Anyway after day two I've experienced a bacteria bloom or the "white cloud". It has been 38 hours since the second dose of waste away. I think if i were to do refresh, my tank might actually.. waste away?? Pun intended.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never observed this happening with this process, also my tanks have always been covered too. I don't feel your tank would waste away after this treatment, are you going to do the refresh?

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was an ignorant mistake on my behalf. My issue looks more like brown sludge and snot than stringy strands of brown algae. It was an observation error on my part. I never had doubt in your method, twilliard. But I also didn't think waste away was unsafe either.

There is your problem, you are not treating dino and I believe you not covering the tank is where your bacterial bloom came from. It may be dark in that part of the house but it's not totally black

Back