We mourn the loss of Jake Adams

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been informed that the family knows and now we here at R2R are able to mourn together the tragic news that the reefing community has lost Jake Adams of ReefBuilders.

I’m at a loss for words as Jake was a very good friend to my family and the R2R community. I had tremendous respect for him and his work and he will be sorely missed.

Prayer for his precious wife and family.

We love you Jake, Rest In Peace.

1D00597A-218C-4FA3-A1E7-563F80A75FCE.jpeg
Major bummer. I liked his articles.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please peeps, let's not derail this thread of condolences and fond memories of Jake. Though most of us didn't know him personally, many of us enjoyed seeing his passion for the hobby! I truly cherished his insight and advice and he will be truly missed!

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake will be missed. I never met him in person, but his influence has helped me with my own tanks throughout the years. I loved his videos of his travels to reefs around the world, shows, LFS's, peoples tanks, and gear reviews. I've always looked forward to new posts and seeing updates at his shop. Years ago he posted a photo online of one of his tanks and I noticed he used a Corona beer bottle to hold up some corals and I was thrilled when he replied to my comment. I know it's not much, but it ment a lot at the time. RIP Jake.

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a sad day for the reefing community. Jake, held a special place in the hearts of many - not just the industry professionals and influencers, but the many hobbyist whom never met him, yet had a special bond and friendship with. I loved his thought process and perspective, his content was solely influenced by his passion for the reef hobby and desire to help his audience become better reefers. I never felt like Jake was trying to sell me something, and idea, product, or good - he merely shared his wealth of knowledge without asking for anything in return. You were a gem, Jake, and though I didn’t personally know you, I will miss ya. Rest easy, my friend. Fair winds and following seas on your next journey.
Respectfully,

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never met Jake, but I'll miss him greatly. Every time I'd watch one of his videos I'd be re-energized to work on my system. His passion for the hobby was infectious. His skill and knowledge were incomparable.

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truly shocking and terrible news. He was a true pioneer in our hobby and inspired many people. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. We will miss him.

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a terrible loss. First to his family, second to the reefing community. My condolences to his family.

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having watched just about every one of Jake’s videos over the years (yeah I’m that old), I think naming a coral after Jake is fitting; but please tread lightly.

Jake has but a few corals that he’s already named; one of which is the Immortal Tort. He always made a point to put the ID of the coral in the name as an ID. Just spitballing, but he wasn’t into corals that had other morphs that looked like it even in the slightest bit. They were unique pieces, the immortal tort being named because it survived across many systems and was (in his words) “unable to be killed”. Jake was a huge advocate of aquacultured corals that did not break the bank, were not blue light specials and that withstood every single trend and fad in the last 20 years and are still highly sought after.

In saying that, maybe it’s fitting that instead of having a specific coral named after him, that an Immortal SERIES of corals be named after him. He loved all kinds of corals and none took center stage or got more love than the others in his videos.

if you’re a private grower or hobbyist who has something you’ve been holding on to that’s visibly stunning, able to stand out in your tank(s) from across the room and it’s done well for you for years, maybe now’s the time to simply call that beauty the Immortal. I think Jake would have loved that, and would smile down upon us all. And instead of selling frags of it for a car payment, we share and trade those pieces with our friends, write about them here in our posts and tell their story so that Jake’s legacy lives on.

They can simply be called “The Immortals”.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 35 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back