We mourn the loss of Jake Adams

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrible loss for the reefing community and im sure a much greater loss for the community that knew him personally. Besides being a wonderful voice of our hobby, it always shined through that he was good person. Thoughts and prayers to to Jake and all that knew him.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having watched just about every one of Jake’s videos over the years (yeah I’m that old), I think naming a coral after Jake is fitting; but please tread lightly.

Jake has but a few corals that he’s already named; one of which is the Immortal Tort. He always made a point to put the ID of the coral in the name as an ID. Just spitballing, but he wasn’t into corals that had other morphs that looked like it even in the slightest bit. They were unique pieces, the immortal tort being named because it survived across many systems and was (in his words) “unable to be killed”. Jake was a huge advocate of aquacultured corals that did not break the bank, were not blue light specials and that withstood every single trend and fad in the last 20 years and are still highly sought after.

In saying that, maybe it’s fitting that instead of having a specific coral named after him, that an Immortal SERIES of corals be named after him. He loved all kinds of corals and none took center stage or got more love than the others in his videos.

if you’re a private grower or hobbyist who has something you’ve been holding on to that’s visibly stunning, able to stand out in your tank(s) from across the room and it’s done well for you for years, maybe now’s the time to simply call that beauty the Immortal. I think Jake would have loved that, and would smile down upon us all. And instead of selling frags of it for a car payment, we share and trade those pieces with our friends, write about them here in our posts and tell their story so that Jake’s legacy lives on.

They can simply be called “The Immortals”.
Yes, AND, make sure you know the correct Genus and species, and do that for all the corals in your tank

ReefLabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in shock. Such heartbreaking news.
I'd like to suggest that local shops auction off the RB Studio assets and donate all proceeds to his wife.

I'd also like to encourage everyone to report all of the sickening, predatory click bait scum on twitter who are taking advantage of this sad news.

Just search 'jake adams reef' on Twitter, choose 'Latest' and you'll see what I'm referring to. :angry-face:

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out of the hobby since the end of 2020, but I still enjoyed watching Jake’s YouTube content from time to time. His enthusiasm was unmatched. It’s certainly a big loss for the community. I haven’t felt this level of shock due to someone passing in a long time, and that’s even after being away for the last couple of years.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Jake's family and close friends, please accept my deepest condolences. I watched hundreds of his videos. He was one of the most knowledgeable and passionate reefers in the hobby. He was inspiring and will be sorely missed.

lzurk88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in shock, can’t hardly believe it. Never meat Jake but felt like I knew him though his amazing videos. The world lost an amazing person. Compared to the loss of steve irwin.
Going forward I will strive to use the proper wording for all reefing terms.

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also like to encourage everyone to report all of the sickening, predatory click bait scum on twitter who are taking advantage of this sad news.

Just search 'jake adams reef' on Twitter, choose 'Latest' and you'll see what I'm referring to. :angry-face:
OMG what sickos, that’s unbelievable!

bcardoro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a tragic event… I never met him, but I enjoyed and learnt from his content since my very beginning in this hobby. I loved his videos, his articles and his podcasts. His voice and way to convey information was one of a kind. For sure he is leaving a huge void in the world wide reefing community. Rest in peace, Jake.

#reefbuilders ✊

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back