Weird bump on fairy wrasse

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the kanaplex directions it says to repeat dosing every 2 days or up to a max of 3 doses. So not 10 days?

just keep doing it until the ten days are up... It might take a little longer than that to clear it up. So follow the directions but forget about the "max dose" on the box.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's already on max but I have some extra powerheads I can use.

One airstone cranked up should suffice for a 10 gal.

On the kanaplex directions it says to repeat dosing every 2 days or up to a max of 3 doses. So not 10 days?
Because in most cases, 6 days worth of antibiotic exposure gets the job done. 10 days gets it won. ;)

Sorry for all the questions. But is it okay to use prime while treating with kanaplex?
I wouldn't, no.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I dosed the kanaplex at around midnight (Thurs night/Fri morning). It doesn't look like there's been any improvement this morning (Friday 11am) and neither fish is eating (still).

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: (friday pm)
Neither fish is eating still. Bumps on clown fairy head look more swollen. Observed white stringy poop on both fish. Blackfin McCoskers did briefly swim around and overall he is looking good. I suspect he may be sneaking some food when I'm not looking. I doubt the clown fairy is, though, as he's starting to look skinny. :/

Are there any treatments I can do for intestinal parasites at the same time as kanaplex?
56930315e68fac1a74a5cedf38fd9c6a.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any treatments I can do for intestinal parasites at the same time as kanaplex?

Yes, you can safely combine Metroplex with kanaplex and since they aren't eating dosing it in the water is the best you can do for them. It's better if the med is fed to them, but dosing it in the water is going to be second best.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can safely combine Metroplex with kanaplex and since they aren't eating dosing it in the water is the best you can do for them. It's better if the med is fed to them, but dosing it in the water is going to be second best.

+1

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Just put in Metroplex.
Yep, and I find that wrasse find live blackworms impossible to ignore. Another good one is live brine, the lifelike (they are alive lol) movement triggers feeding responses in many fish that refuse to eat. The worms have similar effect but seem to be slightly preferred by picky wrasse.

For best odds try both, ASAP

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, and I find that wrasse find live blackworms impossible to ignore. Another good one is live brine, the lifelike (they are alive lol) movement triggers feeding responses in many fish that refuse to eat. The worms have similar effect but seem to be slightly preferred by picky wrasse.

For best odds try both, ASAP
Thanks I just picked up some live black worms earlier today, I was going to wait until the morning to try them to give the metro time to work, plus I don't want to foul the water too much. So the plan is to try and feed first thing in the morning and then transfer them to a new tank after they've had some time to eat. I've also been using Entice.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I just picked up some live black worms earlier today, I was going to wait until the morning to try them to give the metro time to work, plus I don't want to foul the water too much. So the plan is to try and feed first thing in the morning and then transfer them to a new tank after they've had some time to eat. I've also been using Entice.
Yup and only put a few in at first, too many seem to overwhelm them. Good plan.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the blackworms died overnight, so no luck there. I'll pick up more today and try again this evening. Transferring them to a clean 10g momentarily. The bumps seem about the same size as yesterday.
20170121_102926.jpg

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown fairy seems to be getting worse. Still not eating or showing any interest at all in food, barely swimming, but breathing heavy. His head is very pale, and right now he's laying on his side. :(

McCoskers is still looking great, visibly, but also hardly ever swimming, just stays in the pvc. He is also not eating but does watch pieces of food swim by him. I've tried rotifers, spirulina brine shrimp, Hikari and PE mysis, pellets, and blackworms. He did eat a little bit on the 2nd and 3rd day that I had him but it seems like something is bothering him.
7c7f5545ed4ee6ae35ce8849b8efcc12.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown fairy seems to be getting worse. Still not eating or showing any interest at all in food, barely swimming, but breathing heavy. His head is very pale, and right now he's laying on his side. :(

McCoskers is still looking great, visibly, but also hardly ever swimming, just stays in the pvc. He is also not eating but does watch pieces of food swim by him. I've tried rotifers, spirulina brine shrimp, Hikari and PE mysis, pellets, and blackworms. He did eat a little bit on the 2nd and 3rd day that I had him but it seems like something is bothering him.
7c7f5545ed4ee6ae35ce8849b8efcc12.jpg

Have you started the kanaplex?

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It apparently not getting the job done alone. If you have Furan2 you can add that to the mix.... quickly.
Don't have it on hand. I'll see if I can get it but it won't be until about 7 hours from now. I also have metroplex in the water.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember you saying you were running these wrasses thru TTM, but have they also been dewormed (via Prazipro) yet?

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember you saying you were running these wrasses thru TTM, but have they also been dewormed (via Prazipro) yet?
Not yet, but I was under the impression that metroplex works for that as well?
Edit : did still see white stringy poop from clown fairy this morning.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back