What Is Something That Is Overrated In The Hobby?

Reefer Matt

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP tests. I can see a use for people who never do water changes, like the Triton method, but most hobbyists will never need one. Also, imo, they are not all created equal, and are not the gold standard in testing. The industry created a "solution" to a problem that doesn't exist.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get hammered but here it goes. Fleece rollers and UV.
Just installed this yesterday... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. I also have a 57w UV but it isnt running right now, I need a new bulb and better mounts.

I'd rather replace the roll every 2 months, than change out floss every single day.

Attachments

• 20230821_203310.jpg
    20230821_203310.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 22

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, astrea snails. They eat algae like madmen, sure, but what's the purpose of snails if you need to flip them over every day? Trochus do the same job without the headache.
Never once have I flipped my astreas. I have several that are more than a few years old.

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans grow skeleton first and won't encrust on rockwork, plus they only really come in red/orange and are just not my thing, favias are superior.
I’ve been thinking about this. I have some micromussa glued to rock. They have grown a lot and one of the colonies has grown away from the rock and kinda hovers over nothing. I’m curious in the long run if the glue will be able to hold a widened skeleton if that’s the only attachment point.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get hammered but here it goes. Fleece rollers and UV.
I definetley wasn’t a early adopter, especially given the price of the “toilet paper” (toss up which is actually cheaper LOL) ….
Anyway, these Red Sea Reefmats might win most doubters over … like a TV remote; not required but you will never get up to change channels again

UV’s : expensive water heaters… I own 4 (after 30yrs + w/o) because I couldn’t seem to get ich under control (and lost WAAAAYmore $$$$ in fish)
…and UV’s “seem” to actually do that (keep outbreaks in check) ….TBH I wouldn’t depend on any to actually “cure” disease outbreaks…

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definetley wasn’t a early adopter, especially given the price of the “toilet paper” (toss up which is actually cheaper LOL) ….
Anyway, these Red Sea Reefmats might win most doubters over … like a TV remote; not required but you will never get up to change channels again

UV’s : expensive water heaters… I own 4 (after 30yrs + w/o) because I couldn’t seem to get ich under control (and lost WAAAAYmore $$$$ in fish)
…and UV’s “seem” to actually do that (keep outbreaks in check) ….TBH I wouldn’t depend on any to actually “cure” disease outbreaks…
Been wanting to get a ReefMat. Though of course the sump I chose won't allow it

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather replace the roll every 2 months, than change out floss every single day.
I run Reef diapers and get 5 or 6 days out of them. Pull them out and toss em in the trash drop two new ones in. Fairly inexpensive, easy and nothing to fail.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby there isn't just one way to success, though some people will try to tell you that. There are many opinions and methods to try, many species to keep and many brands and products to use. And while most of them work well or are nice to keep, some of them aren't as good as people give them credit to be. That being said, what do you think are some of the most overrated aspects of the reefkeeping hobby?

I'll go first

#1: Ecotech vortechs, while they are definitely a quality product, $800 is alot to pay for what is simply a wireless powerhead.

#2: Acans, controversial but favias are arguably much better

#3: Chromis, that school won't last for long.

What's your list?

Why do you think acans are better than Favia? I just put my first Acan and Favia in the tank a few weeks ago. Just curious.
…apparently favia is a hardy genus
Most northern coral reef

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Corals and additives

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back