What Is Something That Is Overrated In The Hobby?

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They kind of look like tumors to me.
arnold schwarzenegger its not a tumor GIF
Interesting fact, they actually are tumors

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add....I don't test my water after its cycled, on any system. Testing on a stable system is a waste of time/money to me. The only exception to that is if there is an extra algae build up and I think the GFO is expelled, then I run a phosphate test. I like to believe that my eyes and nose are far better indicators of what is going on than droplets in a mini beaker. Been keeping fish for 25 years from small tanks to my 2000g koi pond...my nose knows.
How do you know how much alk and calcium do dose?

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae scrubbers. No one has yet been able to demonstrate to me how these are superior to having a refugium other than it makes your sump "look clean." And hundreds of dollars is a long way to go to make the sump less cluttered, especially when it's the reef tank I care about, not your stupid sump.
I don't know how to feel abt this one, they work well but are definitely expensive, and there are sumps out there that don't have much of a refeugium compartment. Though overall I do agree, refeugiums are superior, cant have a copepod population in a algae scrubber...

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to ruffle some feathers....

Refugiums are overrated. I can't stand mine and would gladly give it up for an algae scrubber. Refugiums are messy, light up your whole sump for stuff to grow, need constant maintenance to keep hair algae away, don't really boost your pod population (your display should be able to handle pod population by itself), and chaeto doesn't hold a candle to hair algae in nutrient removal.

Sadly, both Clearwater and Santa Monica have some of the worst business owners I have ever dealt with. I can't support either company so long as they treat customers the way they do

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, tumors are bad. Why would I pay extra for a mushroom with a tumor?
Cancer Star Sign GIF by Dodo Australia
Mainly for looks, as far as I know it is cosmetic, though now I want to know what happens if a coral gets cancer..

Also if you see any other "bounce" corals that aren't mushrooms it's also tumors...

BobTheBlenney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protien skimmers, reactors, scrubbers, and any other extra piece of filter equipment. My filtration consists of live rock, a coarse sponge for mechanical filtration, and a fox face and a blenny to eat the algae. Fresh air from the front door keeps the ph at 8.2. (I may change my mind if it all crashes one day, but my tank looks great at the moment.)

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1: bounce mushrooms.I JUST.DONT.GET.IT
2:crazy expensive wavemakers.yes it's wireless.yes it has an app but my sicce xstream & a smart plug works for me
3:any "chad speak" in coral description e.g "fire torches brah" or "sick colours fam"

It's code for "I'm going to rip you off & you will abide":

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know how much alk and calcium do dose?

My levels are replenished with water changes. Beyond food, I only add copepods and some microbacter7 occasionally. I don't dose calcium, alk, etc to my tanks. At some point I may have to increase the frequency or amount of water changes, but I have no plans to dump funds into dosing and testing.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My levels are replenished with water changes. Beyond food, I only add copepods and some microbacter7 occasionally. I don't dose calcium, alk, etc to my tanks. At some point I may have to increase the frequency or amount of water changes, but I have no plans to dump funds into dosing and testing.
It's not that expensive, water changes probably cost more, all you need is a red sea test kit and seachem fusion 1 and 2 and you're good to go

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans grow skeleton first and won't encrust on rockwork, plus they only really come in red/orange and are just not my thing, favias are superior.
You definitely have not seen enough acans

Santa Monica Algae Scrubbers (sorry not sorry) $100+ for a basic nano tank algae scrubber and $400+ for bigger tanks is ridiculous. Especially when the nano scrubbers look to be made of 2 lunch meat containers….. I just can’t justify the price.
lol I completely agree on this. I have no experience with them, but thats all I see too :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that expensive, water changes probably cost more, all you need is a red sea test kit and seachem fusion 1 and 2 and you're good to go
$75 test kit, $30 additives, and a dosing pump of $260 before you start adding in my time or replenishing the additives or the test kit. My water bill is minimal as I am on septic with no sewage charges. House of 4, two tanks, a pool, irrigation, and 1000g a week pond changes and my bill averages $50/m. For the cost of adding another 20g water change biweekly, it would be roughly 40 extra water changes spanning across almost a 2 year period before I hit the initial costs of the dosing.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$75 test kit, $30 additives, and a dosing pump of $260 before you start adding in my time or replenishing the additives or the test kit. My water bill is minimal as I am on septic with no sewage charges. House of 4, two tanks, a pool, irrigation, and 1000g a week pond changes and my bill averages $50/m. For the cost of adding another 20g water change biweekly, it would be roughly 40 extra water changes spanning across almost a 2 year period before I hit the initial costs of the dosing.
Who needs a dosing pump. Been doing it manually on my LPS dominant system for months, maybe eventually but not required

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. A $1500 fish that comes with permeant ich dots.
For real. To me it's just a Scopas Tang with good branding. I'm going to find a common fish and get Gucci to license it. Then I'll be in here with my 10k gallon build.

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans grow skeleton first and won't encrust on rockwork, plus they only really come in red/orange and are just not my thing, favias are superior.
Gunna go ahead and disagree with you on this one. They come in red, green, blue, orange, purple etc. They also will encrust over rock work and they have much softer tissue which makes them fun to watch, especially when feeding. I like favias too though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back